[Drivers] Droid X Wifi Driver info - SUCCESS!

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is the dedicated thread for Droid X Wifi Driver information and discussions. Please keep conversation here technical and on-topic. We will strictly moderate off-topic chatter out of this thread. We will keep this OP updated with links and other pieces of information about developing Droid X Wifi Drivers.

AOSP Wifi Library Guide
Linux WPA/WPA2/IEEE 802.1X Supplicant
TI's ARM Processor Wireless Connectivity Portal <-- for the 35xx chip, unsure if this is the same as for our 36xx or not

(more to come)

Last edited:
OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is just the tip of the iceberg of information to acquire. While we really need some driver devs, you techie non-devs can help us too! Help us find information, such as the answers to these questions:
  • What is the chipset model of the Wifi module inside the Droid X?
  • Where are some forum posts of people writing/compiling Linux drivers for this chipset?
  • Is there a development portal focused on this chipset?
  • Are there any variations of this chipset inside the Droid X?

Are there any other questions or information that you've stumbled upon regarding this? If you can give us some summaries of what you find and give us plenty of links to what you're finding, this will help us tremendously!

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
Looking on here Teardown of the Motorola Droid X Smart Phone » Recent Teardowns » ChipworksIt says the WLAN Chip is TI WL1271A WLAN/BT/FM.

A quick google search showed lots of results for drivers involving OMAP. I'm not a Dev or anything just a techie. Hope this can help.

Edit: It seems that according to http://and-developers.com/device_information Texas Instruments WL1273. Which differs from the other site. I am not sure which one is the correct one, or if they used 2 different models. I'm just posting information I find to try to help out.

Last edited:

eulerphi8

Reaction score
Well the linux drivers are available from TI:

ARM Processor Wireless Connectivity Downloads - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki

The latest ones are compatible with the 2.6.32 kernel.

There's also people on TI's board who are building for this driver such as: How to build WL1271 driver for kernel 2.6.32 with OMAP3630 - Wireless Connectivity for OMAP Application Processors - OMAP

Maybe it'd be useful to talk to some people on those forums too.

Also the Motorola Droid (Milestone) has the exact same chip (http://and-developers.com/device_information?s[]=wl1271a). Since the Milestone people got the Wifi working for their kexec project, couldn't those drivers be ported?

Edit: Right just saw the WL1273 info on the and-developers page too instead of the WL1271A chip. Looks like the same deal as the Nook Color, where people have reported the Chip ID as Ti wl1271 but kernel reports wl1273. Also, https://www.droid-developers.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X, wl1273 links to wl1271. The wl1273 chip was used in the HTC Legend too.

Last edited:
OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Looking on here Teardown of the Motorola Droid X Smart Phone » Recent Teardowns » ChipworksIt says the WLAN Chip is TI WL1271A WLAN/BT/FM.

A quick google search showed lots of results for drivers involving OMAP. I'm not a Dev or anything just a techie. Hope this can help.

Edit: It seems that according to http://and-developers.com/device_information Texas Instruments WL1273. Which differs from the other site. I am not sure which one is the correct one, or if they used 2 different models. I'm just posting information I find to try to help out.

I'm not able to confirm this atm but I think I previously found the first site you linked - I thought that was the chipset for the first Droid.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
All: This is some good info we're getting in here. Keep up this work and this WILL happen!

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The wl12xx driver got the wifi working

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Tomorrow I'm going to start a thread on Bluetooth drivers. I've had 3 black tie events this weekend so have been quite busy.

Big thanks to everybody for helping! Screw those who said these drivers are a lost cause! Less than 48 hours of slightly targeted efforts netted us our first driver win!

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yeah. Can you guys try it out in your phones too. Mines an unlock dev phone. It's a little less pissy than your phones about drivers.

Sysadmin-X

Reaction score
Yeah. Can you guys try it out in your phones too. Mines an unlock dev phone. It's a little less pissy than your phones about drivers.

I would be willing to try it out. I haven't read up on your latest kexec stuff since the freemymoto site went up =(

Does kexec need to be recompiled with the driver or what do we need to do to test this out?

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You need to compile kexec against your default kernel, and the drivers need to be compiled against the kernel you want to load.

JOx

Reaction score
Maybe write a tutorial for the idiots like me who want to help but don't know how? With a walkthrough on what you want to test I am sure more of the noobs would love to pitch in