Driod will not send email from any email account but Gmail

selluminis

Reaction score
I have mediacom and live for 2 of my email accounts. I have found some info regarding this, but it does not answer the questions to my problems. So, I am posting a new thread to, hopefully, get some answers.

The Gmail works fine, of course, on my Motorola Droid. However, when I try to send an email from the live (hotmail) or my mediacom account it just goes into the outbox and will not send. I hit "send outgoing messages" and nothing happens. My outgoing servers are set correctly and are able to communicate, however, the phone will not send anything out. It seems like it is a setting on the phone. Both accounts worked fine on my Blackberry Storm II.

mediacom outgoing server = mail.mediacombb.com

Any ideas?:byeBB: hopefully.

Last edited:
OP
S

selluminis

Reaction score
Ah HA!

Odd. When I first set up the email on the Droid I had to use mail.mediacombb.net. It worked for a little bit then stopped. For the heck of it, I changed the servers to mail.MCHSI.com and restarted the phone. The email began working imediatly. Not sure if changing the servers or restarting the phone is what solved the problem. Don't care enough to test. Just happy that it is working.

Droid destroys all else. dancedroid

Last edited:

starsnstripes

Reaction score
mediacom email

Can you please tell me the settings you used to setup mediacom? I have tried tirelessly for hours to get it working and Verizon is NO help... Thanks!

OP
S

selluminis

Reaction score
Please see my first post. At the end it tells you to use for all of the servers. Make sure u do manual set up.

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
FINALLY figured out this issue!

Alright guys... I've been having pretty much the same issue for the past 24 hours since I got my Droid X. I was searching ALL over the internet tirelessly trying to figure out WHY THE HECK I could receive e-mails with my Droid X but could not send any. I tried every possible port and outgoing server combination (knew that my outgoing server info was entered correctly) and none of it would work. I kept getting Authentication Error Sending messages or just plain "was not sent" errors.

I finally decided to download K9 E-Mail and when I was doing the manual setup with K9 I figured out the issue with Droid X's standard e-mail service. The Droid X standard e-mail service does not work with e-mail providers that do NOT require login for sending outgoing messages. If you go into the K9 setup... it has a check box "Requires Login" in the Outgoing Server setup. I had to UN-check this "Requires Login" box... because if I left it checked and simply put in my username and password, it would not work. I assume this is because my e-mail provider does not require login for outgoing messages.

Droid X's standard e-mail service does not have this "Requires Login" checkbox... instead it ASSUMES that your e-mail provider requires login for outgoing messages (because it makes you put in a username and password in the outgoing server setup). This will not work, obviously, if your provider doesn't require login.

Really makes me angry that I spent so much time today fooling around with these e-mail settings just to find out that it was a stupid design flaw by Motorola. I hope they fix it soon.. because even though I can use K9 E-mail, I should not have to! I should be able to use the standard Droid X e-mail.

Hope this saves some people the headache that I had all day today.

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
I'm sure K9 will always be better than the stock email app. I don't really expect otherwise considering it's a third party app. Just pretty lame that the stock email doesn't work at all for outgoing messages for a lot off people (from what I've read online this far at least). Only reason I'd like the stock app over k9 is so that my emails will be included in the universal messages section. Not a big deal really either way but would be nice lol. Love this phone regardless!!!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, it is lame that they've let that program sit without an update for so long--especially because some of it's bugs are pretty severe.

By the way, the stock client on the original droid does have a checkbox for "Requires signin" in the outgoing settings. Are you sure the droid x client doesn't have that setting?

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm positive there is no check box in the stock client.. I looked everywhere in all the settings with no luck..kind of crazy but yea its def not there. Only check boxes are "use secure connection"and "verify certificate".

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's surprising. Sometimes the settings get hidden under the keyboard. I'll double check when I get a chance.

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
I know trust me I found it surprising too lol checked it so many times wondering how they could not have the option but its def not there unfortunately

floyd

Reaction score
One reason the stock email program is awful and still has not been updated is that they want you to forward all your emails to push through gmail. Simple as that.

Why they don't have better support for exchange server is completely beyond me. K9 is a must for that too.

AWAMSA

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem and am very unhappy with the Droid's email performance. I use mine for business, but would definitely not recommend the Droid for business email purposes. I sent (3) emails today, through the "Email" app and they're still sitting there in the "Out" basket and can't be sent. Personally I think the developers should be "hanging their head in shame" at putting out a smart phone with such poor email capabilities. I did print uncconkid3219's solution, but we all recognize how ridiculous it is that we're all having this type of email problem. Shame on Motorola & Google.

Last edited: