Driod wannabe

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by nowellp, Apr 27, 2010.

1. nowellp

nowellp New Member

Hello
    I am going to buy as Droid but need some basic information before I do.
    Instead of asking all the things this phone can do, are there any major things that it can't such as a usb or FW port?
    I use Acronis to back my system to 2T firewire ext hardrive.
    I know it is a different story here but this is an example of my need for usb/FW besides printing as my printer is not wireless.
    I assume I can use the internet and make calls but is there enough room for data storage like My Docs with about 10 MB space.
    How do I synch to my pc?
    I do not do photos, music or game but take occasional pictures so with this information, is there a particular phone you would recommend?
    What is a ballpark figure to pay for the internet, unlimited calls in the US, and any other charges I am ot aware of besides those evr present fees?
    Lastly, my brother speaks in terms of bytes when I ask how many minutes he has for phone and internet but because he is a novice he cannot articulate the concept of minutes relative to bytes for me.
    Thank you for helping me become a Droid user.
  2. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Someone may chastise me for saying this, but it looks as if you're only looking for some basic information on the Droid. Might I recommend simply visiting the Verizon Wireless website and looking up the Droid features and specifications?
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm going to answer what I can. If I miss something it's probably because I don't know what you're talking about.
    No way to hook it up to a firewire that I know of.
    You can make calls, use the internet, and it comes with 16gb SD Card. You can only call and use the internet if your connected to wifi.
    You can get a Droid brand new if your contract is renewing for 19.95 on Amazon, it may be less at Walmart
    It's a Google phone. Think about syncing everything to Google/Gmail
    Data charge comes with any smart phone 30.00 unlimited data. You don't have to worry about Gigabytes.
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

bytes = data (internet)
    minutes = voice (phone calls)

the amount of minutes you use is only related to your voice calls. the amount of bytes you send is related to surfing the internet/downloading files.

droid requires the data plan which is unlimited
  5. nowellp

nowellp New Member

new to Droid

Hello
    For those who were courteous and kind enough to spare a moment to help me better understand, I thank you for your information. I have been compiling my facts in a folder and you have enlightened me.
    Everything is easy once you learn it and it is nice to find people who make your way a little more pleasant.
    Regards
  6. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Welcome, nowellp! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Just check out the links in my signature and you’ll get some really good advice that may take the edge off the learning curve. Hope you enjoy your time here!

:welcome:

7. nowellp

nowellp New Member

welcome mat

Hello
    Thank you for the welcome mat. I sent my brother a link to this site b/c he is the current Droid owner. He will find a wealth of information here, I am sure.
    Regards