1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Drawer Icons

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by HolyGrail, Mar 19, 2010.

1. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Premium Member Premium Member

I have been succesful with changing my drawer icons by just changing the .png in each .apk in system/app, but the only one that won't change is the phone icon.

I change the .png in the phone.apk (drawable-hdpi) but even tho I know my modified .png is there, it still shows the original icon in the drawer after reboot.

Has anyone been able to change their phone icon? Is the .png for this in phone.apk or another .apk file?
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Hey I have been wanting to fully customize my icons and all I found so far was that app (sorry forget the name) that makes customized 'shortcuts' but only on your home desktop. I really want to actually change the apps icons themselves. Could you explain the process breifly. I have root explorer so I think i am good to go...
  3. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

You need to use the computer. Copy over you're apk's and rename them to .zip . Then open them up and go into drawable-hdpi. Then find the correct png, and change it.
  4. HolyGrail

Sure. Lets do a easy one. Open up root explorer, and to to " system/app " (Turn on R/O up top). Copy for example "Gmail.apk" to sdcard. From here mount your phone, and make a copy of "Gmail.apk" so you have a backup. Change "Gmail.apk" to "Gmail.zip" extracted it. Open folder, go to res/drawable-hdpi and you will see all the .png files in there. Change the icon with the original one in here. Make sure you rename it the same as the original one.

After all this just set it back "Gmail.apk, and move it back in the " system/app" using root explore. Just overwrite the old file since you made a backup. After this hold the "Gmail.apk" down and click on permissions and check all of them. Reboot and it should show up.

The only one I can't seem to change is the phone icon. I change the .png icon in the "Phone.apk" but the orginal not the modded one still shows up in the drawer. Its got to be in another ".apk" somewhere but I don't have a clue where.
  5. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

my guess would be in the framework-res
  6. HolyGrail

Yup, thought that too, but those appear to only be for the notification bar.
  7. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

ill snoop around on adb see what i can find
  8. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

well ones im seeing that i would check but will take me a minute kind abusy atm but um

TelephonyProvider PhoneConfig or the Contacts one ill pull a few and look

Its in Contacts :) in the hdpi
  9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

The same icon is in both contacts.apk and phone.apk For me phone.apk changes the icon for the phone (I have been changing it around quite a bit recently for the helix launcher). Doesn't hurt to try contacts.apk though.

Contacts.apk it is still named ic_launcher_phone.png or something along those lines.
  10. HolyGrail

Wow, that was fast! I give it a shot, and let you know.
  11. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

huh.... you might want to change the TelephonyProvider to that apk serisouly looks like its noting but that icon lol well and a class folder but yea
  12. HolyGrail

WooHoo :icon_ banana:, Thanks man, it was like you said, it was in the Contacts.apk. Works fine.
  13. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

Upload your creations?
  14. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

holygrail!! you da man!! WOOT!! thanks i <3 this !! :icon_ banana:
  15. HolyGrail

No Problem, was glad I could Gtalk your way through it.
  16. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member Premium Member

So, I hate to rehash the earlier post, but I received a launcher.apk file on another forum from a person who volunteered to make a certain logo (Cleveland Indians logo) for my app drawer.

So, I see the two .png's that I would like to move over to my stock launcher .apk (have not moved to Helix yet) - in the launcher .apk the two I am interested in copying over are: "all_apps_button_normal.png" and "all_apps_button_pressed.png".

Can I just use the method mentioned earlier in this thread where I copy over the launcher.apk using Root Explorer (assuming I can find the launcher.apk) to my SD card, copy it to my pc by renaming the .apk to .zip, open the zip and copy over the two .pngs I mention above, save the .zip, rename to.apk and paste it over to its standard location within my system (renaming the original .apk so thatt I have a back up, right?) and voila. . .or what all am I missing?

Thanks to anyone who can confirm this for me.

EDIT: So, as I am a checklist person, I put this together and hope that this can be confirmed as the "right way" to do this, or help me adjust to be accurate.
    Changing App Drawer Icon Process (Launcher app as the example):

1 - Open up root explorer
    2 – Go to "system/app" and select/turn on R/O at the top
    3 - Copy the selected .apk (Launcher.apk) to the sdcard.
    4 – Connect your phone via USB and mount your phone.
    5 - Make a copy of the selected .apk (Launcher.apk) so you have a backup and store it on your pc.
    6 - Change "Launcher.apk" to "Launcher.zip" and extract it by double clicking on the zip file
    7 - Open folder and go to res/drawable-hdpi. In this file you will see all the .png files for this .apk.
    8 – Copy over or change the icon that you want to change with the original one in the res/drawable-hdpi folder (i.e., replace target with your adjusted source .png). It is important that the new icon has the exact same name as the original one or it will not be recognized.
    9 – Once the icon has been changed, save the zip and rename it to “Launcher.apk”.
    10 – move the entire Launcher.apk back to the SD card from your computer.
    11 – Using Root explorer move the Launcher.apk in the “system/app” by simply overwriting the original file (Note: based on the copy you made in step 5 you should have a back up if the process goes awry and you need to revert to the original).
    12 – Then within Root Explorer do a long press on Launcher.apk and click on permissions and check all of them (really?)
    13 - Reboot and your new icon should show up.

EDIT 2: The two files that I mentioned above, must be Helix Launcher related as I do not find them within my stock Launcher. So, any ideas as to which files would be best to copy over (thinking the two are ic_tray_expand.png and ic_tray_collapse.png, but any confirmation is appreciated).
  17. taypotts

taypotts New Member

So is there any way to change icons for the apps you download? I tried to change the tweetcaster icon but it gave me an error?
  18. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

it must be moved to the system/data folder or it will fail the sig check
  19. taypotts

taypotts New Member

Yeah I made a copy to my SD card and then tried to move it back but it was not even in my app drawer. Ill try it again when I am on my computer and post back
  20. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member Premium Member

Tekhawk or others, any thoughts or confirmation you can give me on my post regarding the .png files and the process I outlined?

Thank you.
Search tags for this page
android drawer custom icon

change app drawer icons android

change icons in app drawer
change icons in notification drawer lg l35g andriod
original android app drawer icon