Downsides to overclocking?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by chomorro, May 21, 2010.

1. chomorro

chomorro New Member

I have the over clocking itch and after reading tons of posts on it. Found that i shouldnt worry about heat since petes rom has built in safety features. Only downside i found was drain on battery life. On stock 2.1 i could never get through half a day on heavy use without going dead. On 600mhz it seemed the same.

Now im trying 800mhz and so far it seems the same but i havent been using my phone as much the last day or so. It has gotten warm to the touch when i was playing homerun battle, then pocket empires, then jewelust, then lots of web browsing (sitting at the dmv for two hours....) on 800mhz but it didnt shut off just slowed down really bad at one point. I checked the process and couldnt find anything cpu hogging. Few seconds later it all went back to normal.

So what exactly is the "bad" from overclocking this phone? Switching kernels a lot bad for the phone? If i get a extended life battery then the battery issue is solved so it seems like its just good all the way around LOL

Sounds dumb but im just curious, when i OCed my desktop back in the days i had to upgrade ram speed,cooling, heatsinks, motherboards etc etc etc
  2. verian

verian Guest

None! No downside. I just set up profiles with setcpu so I can make sure I don't run to hot. There is a tread out there about flashing and apparently the flash memory can handle nearly 10,000 rewrites. But thats all from what I've read I know nothing factual.
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Speaking from experience the only down side to overclocking is that you can't do 2 Ghz! On a more serious note I haven't found any. I get the same battery life from the 800 Mhz Low Voltage kernel that most people get with a stock 550 Mhz kernel. It also depends on how you use your phone as to the battery life.

For instance. My daily use is as follows:

3 hours of listening to MP3s while commuting walking/train
    30 minutes of web browsing
    15 minutes Facebook
    20 - 30 minutes of some game
    10 - 15 minutes of phone calls
    30 or so texts

I unplug at 7am and plug back in between 8 - 9 PM with anywhere from 30% - 40% battery left.

As for heat using this kernel the highest I have spiked is 50c - 51c under heavy use but then it drops back down to 48c and stays there. Again heat really isn't an issue with the processor as much as it is the battery. The processor can handle in upwards of 75c under normal operation and 105c under extreme usage for a short period. The battery has a failure rating of 60c. Before your electronics cook, your battery will have died off.

Hope this helps!
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Yes, even though I posted those articles above, generally speaking most people have no issues with overclocking. And if they do, it's something fixed easily by flashing a lower ghz kernel.
  6. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Excellent read on those articles. Im curious what battery cover mods were done to help with battery heat. Going to check out the post on my phone so i can see the pics.

Anyone know if the high capacity battery runs hotter then the oem one?
Search tags for this page
android overclocking slows down phone
downide to overclocking
downsides to overclocking
is it bad to overclock android cpu

is it bad to overclock your phone

is overclocking bad

is overclocking bad for smartphones
is overclocking bad for your phone
is overclocking cpu in android harmful

is overclocking your phone bad

overclocking android bad?