Downloading and opening files (?)

sterdroids

Reaction score
Hi All-

Trying to learn the phone and keep running into problems. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

- How do I download and open say PDF or excel files? I keep getting a download unsuccessful. I am trying to download from my works Outlook Web Access site.

THANKS in advance.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I guess before I start loading things up on the droid my question is:

should this phone be able to natively open .pdfs, .xls, .doc etc files or no?

and if so what am i doing wrong?

thanks

LordKastle

Reaction score
Excel and Word ... no. There are multiple programs like Documents To Go that will allow you to open Word and Excel. The free version allows you to view..the paid allows you to edit. Not sure what other programs are out there that may allow you to edit or view though.

PDFs? I am not sure...I thought some said it can natively read PDFs.

Anyone else know the difference between Download Crutch and the Lite version? It says something about an icon or interface in the description..but what exactly is that? Considering downloading.

Last edited:
OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
THANKS. Where do I download everything from "MARKET" ONLY? Do I need to be safe where I download from and what is downloaded? Is that where I can get the Free DOCS2go? I just need to see the files not edit them. Also anyone know how to naively view pdf on the droid?

thanks

LordKastle

Reaction score
I doubt you'll be downloading too many apps not from the market. I'm assuming you could download the apps and such from other places.

You will find the free version of Documents to Go there that allows you to view, not edit.

Stigy

Reaction score
The DROID will natively read Office formats (doc, xls, ppt, etc...) and PDF files in the native readers.

Files sent via GMail will just open, but files from the browser MIGHT need Download Crutch to download and then can be opened via the Downloads menu in the browser or ASTRO file manager from the market.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Also does anybody know the difference between the Lite version of Crutch and the normal Download Crutch? Like I said.. I read that that there is some icon difference or interface change?

Last edited:

Stigy

Reaction score
The full version of the application has an application to launch it and an actual GUI where the LITE version just does what it says without an application that you can launch.

Download both and see which you like better -- they are both free.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
I downloaded crutch but then when I go to my works website and try to download an excel file the phone says unsuccessful download? not sure what i am doing wrong or how to get the files to download?

please help.

thanks

edit:
I forwarded the file from work to gmail and then the droid would open it. Why wouldnt or how could i have it open straight from the Outlook Web Access work site? I want to keep this phone but I feel like my old i730 works fine. The droid is GREAT but I feel like it wont work for me :(

Please help if anyone can THANKS!!

Last edited: