1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Downloaded Better Keyboard

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by mslinda70, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mslinda70

mslinda70 New Member

Can i still use swype on it, if i can how do i set it up
  2. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

They are 2 separate keyboards - if you make better keyboard active in your language / keyboard settings, you can long press on any text input box to switch between keyboards you have active and installed...

You can also make it your default keyboard in your language / keyboard area under input method.
  3. donballz

donballz New Member

What's better about it? I was thinking about giving up on Swype. I am just not getting any better with it.
  4. smalltowngirl13

5. Technoman

Technoman New Member

Did you do the swype tutorial? I have been using Swype for a long time. I signed up for beta with swype on my Droid 1, and never looked back once i got used to it.

When I learned that the Droid X had swype installed by default, that was just one more selling point for me.

Go do the tutorial (several times if you need to), and keep at it. Soon you won't want to ever use anything else.
  6. Uncle Chan

Uncle Chan New Member

There is a lot of truth to what Technoman is saying. At first, I wasn't impressed with Swype, but the more I use it, the more I like it. ANd, I've become quite fast with it. I've downloaded and install several other keyboards, but always come back to Swype.
  7. kapeman

kapeman New Member

Ok, I'll bite. How do you access the tutorial?
  8. donballz

donballz New Member

My frustration mainly surrounds small words: out our or it put all have about the same swype motion. I don't want to stop everytime I use a preposition, which is often. If I try to go fast, it just gets worse. I think its mainly a user error and not the keyboard, but I am looking to make a switch.
  9. smalltowngirl13

On the bottom left corner of the swype keyboard is an S with an ! in a circle tap on that to get a popup box - it will show you tips, tutorial and options...
  10. pcw

pcw New Member

11. kapeman

kapeman New Member

Thanks, guys!
  12. gasparov

gasparov New Member

Try SlideIT. It's like swype, but better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  13. Technoman

Technoman New Member

Actually it is a personal preference, but I have witnessed more people state that they like Swype better than any of the similar keyboards.

The difference is that you won't find Swype on the market... they choose not to offer it that way.
  14. Technoman

Technoman New Member

Swype learns the words that you use often, and offers those words first. So to have it "learn" the short easy words,, enter them the standard keyboard way followed by a space. That puts them into the custom dictionary.

Makes the words you use most often become the ones that it puts in when you swype.

:)
  15. white Lightning

white Lightning New Member

minus all these swype and slide options..
    theres other Keyboards that can be used on the X???

I like the keyboard it has but I think the space bar needs to be bigger....

if there were only a way to take the talk text option off the keyboard, I tried using it but it never types anything remotly close to what I say? LOL
  16. groovejedi

groovejedi New Member

SlideIT has all the options Swype has but looks more like the standard multi-touch keyboard. One of the things I didn't like about swype was that the buttons are too close together and the space bar is too small. SlideIT is missing the smiley face and the @ and .com buttons on the main keyboard. You also have to shift to access numbers and other symbols. If they could integrate a better layout, it would be the best by far. I still think it's the best because the predicted text and swype functionality destroys swype.

For example, if I want to type the word "Look" ... I have to let swype know that I'm trying to use 2 O's by doing a little loop on the O. This is annoying as all hell. SlideIT guesses the words correctly much more often than swype and if you're slightly off (Say you hit c instead of v), it will still get it correct and offer you the most viable option.

I liked swype but will never use it again as long as SlideIT is available. It's also extremely easy (once switch button at the top of the keyboard) to switch to regular type mode and since the keyboard is laid out with more space between the buttons than swype, it's basically like typing on the Multi-Touch keyboard. You can switch back and forth with ease.

I just hope they improve the keyboard layout and shift functions in the future.

EDIT - This is not meant as a bash on swype. I used swype for awhile and liked it but had issues with typing certain words and the predicted text. I am MUCH faster on SlideIT and love that I can just slide my finger all over the board and not worry about being EXACTLY correct because it will get the word right almost every time. This has really increased my speed and I just enjoy using it much more than swype.
Search tags for this page

swype space bar too small