Download problems

Mattfly

Reaction score
The Droid X is my first smartphone, I had an LG Dare for 2 years prior.

I recently purchased a Droid X about a month ago and was loving it until last week. I just updated last week also and am wondering if it has something to do with it. I tried to download an app from the market and I never got the program installed message. I clicked on the app and it said "cancel download" on the button so I figured it was still just downloading the app. I clicked the menu button and clicked on downloads and it was just sitting there and was saying downloading. I left it this way for a few mins and nothing had happened so I canceled download and then clicked install again. This time (since I was in the download menu) it showed the app and said starting download, it would then go to downloading but usually about a second later will say download uncessful.

I tried many different apps and every time it is the same and I also get the same message if trying to update an app. I have removed apps thinking that I am out of space but now cannot even re-download the ones I uninstalled.

Yesterday I tried to download a photo from the web (I have done this a few times as I wanted a photo for my background) and it said download uncussful and whel I use the pull down from the top of the screen it says:

Out of space

<unknown> could not be downloaded.
Free up some space on your phone and try again.

This is a photo that was 56kB. A tiny file.

I checked in the settings and it says I have 12.33GB available on the SD card out of a total space of 14.83GB and 6.32GB available on the internal phone storage.

So my question is are the apps and downloads failing because I have filled my phones memory or do I have to clear out something?

Do I need to format SD card?

Also when I take a photo with the camera it does not save the image and the camera roll says it has 22 items in it but they are not showing up. Videos and All photos shows they have files in them and I can open them. The camera photos I have taken show up in All photos though.

I am baffled and really like the phone. A few I know have the original Droid and they have 2-3 times the number of apps downloaded and many many more photos than I have on my Droid X so I have a hard time believing it is full.

I have put alot of music (about 2 gigs worth) from I-tunes that I imported into WMP so I could put on the phone. Could this be part of it?

Everything else seems to work, my e-mail is syncing, I can brows the web all I want, I can watch videos, I can use the apps I still have. I dont have a lot of stuff on the phone so doing a reset would not be too bad other than saving all my contacts.

Please help.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mattfly

Reaction score
OK I think I figured it out. I think I have a bad SD card. When I unmount the SD card I can download apps and everything works, when I mount the SD card I cannot DL anything and I get the out of space error. I tried formatting the SD card but everything is still on it and I still get the error after I remount the card. Also when I try to format the card it never seems like it is doing anything, just quickly pops back to the SD card and phone storage settings screen.

Do I just need to get a new card and start there?

Anyone else have issues with thier SD card acting this way?

Problems definately related to SD card.