Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Also I can't change my emoji color. Holding on one doesn't give me any options.
I can't either. I specifically watched a video of the new dev preview for Android N and he used Santa, so I tried it on Santa. I'm guessing that particular feature is reliant on the device running the N preview. My 6P is currently only on Marshmallow.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I can't either. I specifically watched a video of the new dev preview for Android N and he used Santa, so I tried it on Santa. I'm guessing that particular feature is reliant on the device running the N preview. My 6P is currently only on Marshmallow.
Let me try on my 5x.

xtor

Reaction score
the dedicated number row seems to be a "smart" feature, only showing up when you're most likely (according to Google) use numbers.

Try tapping in a password box on a site/app, it should show up. I haven't fully figured out WHEN it shows up, but it definitely does, just not constantly. I kind of like that it's not ALWAYS there, as I've been using this keyboard since long before they offered a dedicated number row, but it is also very handy when the need for it arises.
It pops up for passwords

DV65

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Works fine on N

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Make sure you have 5.1 installed. Then go to Settings > Language & Input > Click Google Keyboard. There you'll see all the themes and other options you can change.
That's strange. I tried that before but it failed. Now it's working. You're amazing @Mustang02.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the dedicated number row seems to be a "smart" feature, only showing up when you're most likely (according to Google) use numbers.

Try tapping in a password box on a site/app, it should show up. I haven't fully figured out WHEN it shows up, but it definitely does, just not constantly. I kind of like that it's not ALWAYS there, as I've been using this keyboard since long before they offered a dedicated number row, but it is also very handy when the need for it arises.
Yup, that did the trick -- thanks!

-Matt

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
So far so good. Thanks for sharing Shane!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've switched back to Swype. The Google one has stopped remembering my words, stopped adding new words, stopped capitalizing the I on its own and I have to slide at a snails pace to get any sort of accuracy now.
I'll keep a check on this forum for anymore updates but for some reason mine had dropped out of the top users and at the same time become very unreliable for me, the biggest annoyance being it's dropping random letters here and there when I tap the space bar for next word predicted instead of the word. Maybe it's my phone, maybe it's fragmentation with another app, maybe it's me but it's just not as good as Swype at this point for some reason on this phone or Note8.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've switched back to Swype. The Google one has stopped remembering my words, stopped adding new words, stopped capitalizing the I on its own and I have to slide at a snails pace to get any sort of accuracy now.
I'll keep a check on this forum for anymore updates but for some reason mine had dropped out of the top users and at the same time become very unreliable for me, the biggest annoyance being it's dropping random letters here and there when I tap the space bar for next word predicted instead of the word. Maybe it's my phone, maybe it's fragmentation with another app, maybe it's me but it's just not as good as Swype at this point for some reason on this phone or Note8.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Weird. I used it for a long time on my note 4 before getting the 6p which came with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weird. I used it for a long time on my note 4 before getting the 6p which came with it.

It started dropping random letters and no longer capping the I yesterday. This morning it started not registering my touches unless I held for a split second then slid very slowly. I double checked my screen to make sure it wasn't goo and when I wrote a post in another thread it didn't remember any of the saved words from days past in it. I might try delete it then go back into this thread and download it again and start over though the prior thread for the 5.0.25 version worked flawlessly. It's like it started messing up with 5.1 and got progressively worse each day.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's really crazy. I'm willing to bet that reinstalling should fix it. If nothing else, maybe reinstalling the play store version instead, though I suppose the best features are only available in 5.1...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's really crazy. I'm willing to bet that reinstalling should fix it. If nothing else, maybe reinstalling the play store version instead, though I suppose the best features are only available in 5.1...

The only real difference I was concerned about was being able to use a black theme. I'm using it to write this post and the lack of sensing my finger or pen on the keyboard seems better but it's still horribly (like I swiped "horribly" and it wrote " v fright" ) inaccurate unless I slide really REALLY slow , unlike before when I could go lightning quick that I'm so used to. I haven't carried by tired bones in the house yet from work but I'm gonna go back to the Play version when I get inside. I like to sit in my truck and unwind for a bit when I work nights doing stuff like surfing this forum. It's just strange it went so awry when it stopped showing up in my battery stats.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><