Downgrading 2.2...?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kmkings311, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kmkings311

kmkings311 New Member

I have searched and couldn't find the answer...

There are rumors that 2.2 is coming in the following weeks. With that, are you required to downgrade back to 2.1 to get the official release? I have Froyo loaded today and was curious if you have to downgrade to...well, upgrade.

And, if so, is there a guide to go back to 2.1?

Thanks and sorry if this is posted 3,000 times elsewhere :/
  2. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

If you want to use the pending OTA, you should reverse back to the stock 2.1 without SPRecovery like installed.

If that's what you want, the answer is yes, it is doable. It takes less than 10 minutes to be back to 2.1.

You need to round up the sbf file, I think the full name is "VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf". Use RSDLite 4.6 to flash your phone (since you are running 2.2, I think you are familiar with the step.). When it is done, you are back to 2.0.1. You will need to re-activate the phone. Soon after you turn on the phone, the OTA will kick in. I would say in and out 10 minutes you would be back to 2.1. Of course you will have to install all the apps.

Hope this helps.

J.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

If memory serves me correctly, back when we had this same transitional "thing" going on with 2.1, there was a way to let the ota overwrite your root status. There was a lot of confusion surrounding ota.certs, folks getting perpetual attempted downloads, and the fact that sprecovery/cw would automatically block, if you followed the correct sequence of keystrokes. I think some folks did get unrooted, for lack of a better term. And I think once the first few people start getting the ota, someone will make it available on line which in stock form might unroot.

I know you did not ask this question, but I will throw this out for others who may read this thread. Right now we have frf84b in several flavors, which is supposed to be the final release which are available just as VZW intended. I guess no one knows with 100% certainty. But what I do know is that if frf84b is not the final version, whatever get's ota'd will be made available as a bone stock vzw rom with root and SU. No rom fiddling or themes. Pete or someone will most certainly do this. And it will certainly be made available as a manual upgrade which might break root.

So, if you are on the fence about root soley based on concerns that you are not getting the exact ota, you will have the ability to have it with root and su. As the rollout has historically taken several weeks to get everyone OTA'd, unless you are one of the lucky ones, you will see lots of "happenings" going on before you might even get the ota. While sbf is a reasonably safe process for most folks, it certainly has some greater risk than sitting on the fence a day or two or three before making the final decision.

Craig
  4. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I concur with Craig. I had concerns about the "stability" when breaking away from the official routine before crossing the fence. In the last 2-3 days, I made mistake, recovered, tried different ROMs, of course backup the milestone ones, and I think I like this 2.2/rooting adventure.

However, the biggest question you need to answer is ... the level of confidence toward your hands-on skill. If you think you are and you've done the research, go for it (before the ota kicks in), you can always roll back to stock within minutes. I am not exaggerating. It took me about 10 minutes to get back to 2.1 (naked, without apps), stock, pristine state. I've done it on three of my phones, some had it more than once.

It is extremely important to use "nandroid" to backup the phone along the way. This is the best advise I pick up from this forum, from those experienced guys!

I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself. To me, having 2.2/root results in better user experience. It's a nice thing to do and I am happy about the enhancement.

J.
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Just wait.

This same thing happened with the transition to 2.1. A bajillion people who had rooted and installed a leaked prerelease of 2.1 REALLY wanted to "go back to stock" so they could get the over-the-air update, and then a week later they wanted to re-root their phone so they could get the awesome new roms that came out.

My advice is to Just Wait and don't do anything at all. When the OTA update comes out, somebody will have a copy of it that includes the su binary and you can just easily install that without doing anything else. You'll keep all your data, you'll still be able to have backups, and everything will be much easier.

You can always go back to stock later if you want, but there's no reason at all to rush to get it done before the OTA release.