Down to the wire..............

speedyroo

Reaction score
I'm a very happy owner of the OG Droid and my upgrade expires Dec 12th! Is it crazy that I can't sleep at night over the release of this stupid phone?! Lol. I was first waiting desperately for the Droid Bionic then when that came out I was far from impressed. Crappy screen, fat, and just ugly. Unimpressed! Then nothing really since then. I like the Razr and I like it even more after I played with it at the store, but the whole battery-thing worries me. Otherwise I like the phone. Now I really like the Galaxy Nexus.....but they keep toying with me about this whole date thing! First Nov 17th...then 19th....then 21st....then 29th....now Dec 8th....or 9th...and now 11th! Sheesh! It's like they know I'm expiring on the 12th. My OG Droid seems to know that it's expiring on the 12th as it's getting a little buggy. Verizon keeps calling me every day.

:::head desk:::

Get here soon Nexus!

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
The dates you mentioned above were just rumors so the only people toying with you were those spreading those dates around. If I were you, I'd upgrade to the Razr or Rezound on or before your expiration date if the G-Nex doesn't drop by then so at least you can exchange it when it does granted that it's out before 14 day after your purchase. I too am losing sleep(not losing sleep but searching for info on this phone instead of sleeping) over this phone which happens when you want something as bad as most of us want the G-Nex. Also just because Best Buy is getting it on the 11th doesn't mean Verizon is, I still think Verizon will be getting it on the 8th, plus there will be pre orders for the G-Nex so you might be able to pre order it before your upgrade expires.

Big Ry

Reaction score
WOH WOH WOH! Upgrades EXPIRE!?!? WTF kind of BS is that!? We pay a premium to these US carriers, so they SHOULD subsidize the phones at least every 2 years if not sooner. Now VZW is saying if you don't use it in time, you lose it? That's crap! I'm going to AT&T if that's true, b/c they don't do that. When I worked for them, I'd pull up accounts of people who'd been eligible for upgrades for like 5 years!!

OP
S

speedyroo

Reaction score
I am going to wait until the 11th or thereabouts before upgrading (if the OG makes it that long). I just do hope that the Nexus comes out before then so I can get that! I wouldn't be TOOOO dissapointed if I ended up with the Razr. I am not too familiar with HTC as a manufacturer and would be more comfortable going w/ Samsung or Motorola. I am also googling it several times a day looking for updates and such. All these teaser rumor dates drive me nuts!

bluezdawg

Reaction score
They told me that once, told them I was going back to AT&T... solved that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
Don't forget there is a $35 retsock fee, BUT, their is the holiday return window which will allow you to return/exchange any phone purchased (well by now your safe) until I think it was January 9th or 15th but it's on Verizon's site. So you would be ok and it is supposed to be out . . . soon.

ModestMuse

Reaction score
WOH WOH WOH! Upgrades EXPIRE!?!? WTF kind of BS is that!? We pay a premium to these US carriers, so they SHOULD subsidize the phones at least every 2 years if not sooner. Now VZW is saying if you don't use it in time, you lose it? That's crap! I'm going to AT&T if that's true, b/c they don't do that. When I worked for them, I'd pull up accounts of people who'd been eligible for upgrades for like 5 years!!

What??

No. No. No. None of that is true. When you contract is up you go month-to-month, and can choose to sign another 2-year contract and claim your subsidy at any time.

OP
S

speedyroo

Reaction score

Yeah VZW is changing the "new every 2" plan that they currently have. They announced back on January 16th. This will be your last upgrade of this kind. There still will be some sort of upgrade - but I dunno what it is. You have 6mths from when you get the upgrade to use your upgrade. After this there's the 'new upgrade' plan.

Here's the link on the upgrade policy changes: http://gizmodo.com/5732117/verizon-killing-upgrade-discount-program-just-in-time-for-iphone-4

Last edited:

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
What??

No. No. No. None of that is true. When you contract is up you go month-to-month, and can choose to sign another 2-year contract and claim your subsidy at any time.

Maybe he's referring to the old NE2 credit? I still have a $30 one.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I don't know for sure if upgrades expire on Verizon but my cousin has AT&T and when she tried to upgrade to the iPhone 4 she was told her upgrade was no longer valid.

Ok after a quick Google search looks like Verizon upgrades don't expire so someone misinformed the OP or he/she assumed they did.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I sat on an upgrade for over 6 months on our main line, never once did Verizon tell me it would expire. They did however call me occasionally offering me some outrageous discounts on my bill if I would renew...

My line just came available today...
Gonna wait for the nexus release and depending on the price I may wait a month or two to see if either the gnex or razr drops under $100

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

Last edited:

chewy74

Reaction score
I've been sitting on my upgrade for over a year now. If vzw tells me that upgrade is expired when this phone finally drops, I will promptly tell them I am pulling my family plan out. After which I will launch an internet campaign telling whomever will listen or read how horrible they are as a cell carrier.

JFMFT

Reaction score
Upgrades DO NOT expire; I asked my spouse who is a corporate VZW sales rep. Any rep telling you it's going to expire is using it as a sales pitch, plain and simple. If you're told an upgrade is going to expire, ask to speak to a manager, because that's inaccurate information.

ugandanbear

Reaction score
Listen to all these wonderful forum members. DO NOT believe Verizon. I'm month-to-month right now as well. If you really, REALLY want to be sure, call them. But DO NOT let them sucker you into upgrading sooner than you want to. And for future reference, I'm sure you already know, the members on here know more about Verizon products than 99% of Verizon reps.

Hugg727

Reaction score
They dont expire

I was notified of my NE2 in July....of 2010! Tha was the 20 month mark as I got my phone in Nov. 2010. I still have my upgrade wating for me...plus a $100 credit:biggrin:

If VZW started the nonsense of expiring upgrades there would be a mass exodus....of course until they all started doing it (cough, tiered data plans, cough):angry: