Double Twist Users

Mr. Pennstate

Reaction score
Hey any Double Twist users. Can someone put a review/opinion on the program. I am hesitant on installing anything on my computer since all of my work is on it and I thought you would know more about Double Twist then me. Thanks in advance

tktouch12

Reaction score
first off, its kind of annoying. anytime i plug anything in, it pops up. but it wont destroy your computer or anything.
and it will do what its supposed to

TheCleaner

Reaction score
I didn't like it...I ended up using Motorola's Media Link software instead. Works smoother IMO and had a little better GUI.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Not the best I've used, but it was nice to be able to select my iTunes playlist to sync, instead of my entire library, or manually selecting an entire sync list. My library is 17 gig. I'm much too lazy to filter through all that.

It's not the fastest, and it does pop up alot, but it works well.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
I actually like it. It works pretty flawlessly on my Mac, it does read iTunes playlists, and it put movies on my Droid without any problems. As long as the tunes are iTunes plus, purchased from Amazon, or tunes you ripped from your own cds, it seems to work pretty well.

OP
Mr. Pennstate

Mr. Pennstate

Reaction score
Hey Sheepdog what did you use to rip your movies and it automatically converts them to fit the droid right?

Sheepdog

Reaction score
Movies

Hey Sheepdog what did you use to rip your movies and it automatically converts them to fit the droid right?

I used the most excellent program Handbrake (HandBrake), which is available for Mac, Windows & Linux; it does a great job with DVDs. Quicktime Pro will convert video to other formats as well.

OP
Mr. Pennstate

Mr. Pennstate

Reaction score
Thanks again sheep, What are your settings that you use. Im sure this has been posted before but I thought I would get your personal preference. Thanks again

Sheepdog

Reaction score
Thanks again sheep, What are your settings that you use. Im sure this has been posted before but I thought I would get your personal preference. Thanks again

I assume you mean settings for Handbrake or qtPro, since doubleTwist doesn't have much in the way of settings. Handbrake has a tick-box for "web optimized" on the main screen; that's the only thing I ever change. QT allows you to "Save As..." for iPod, or "Save for Web..." and I just use the iPhone setting. If you mean some other settings, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

russwhite

Reaction score
Today, 12/16/09 when I fired up DoubleTwist I was asked to allow an upgrade. I did and now have 2.6.0.2604. Fairly soon after I started to sync a playlist I got a disk write error and my Droid locked up tight. Had to do a battery remove and reboot and then sadly I got a message my SD card was corrupt. After formatting and saying goodbye to all my music and pictures I stupidly tried again. I think I got one playlist transferred before it locked up again. It was nice when it worked and I could use my playlist for iTunes, but not so much now. I sent them an email and will await a reply. Russ

Blackhawk

Reaction score
russwhite, thaks for the tip about DoubleTwist corrupting your sdcard. I have DoubleTwist, but I haven't upgraded to the newest version. The version I have crashes more times than I would like. Doesn't look like they have very solid testing.

OP
Mr. Pennstate

Mr. Pennstate

Reaction score
So now that I know double twist is a failure any more programs that are like Twist??

russwhite

Reaction score
I got Motorola Media Link to do the job for me. I wanted to move my music which was indexed by iTunes and keep the playlists. Media Link needs to have a bit of setup choices made, but it does work - at least for my good sized library. Here are some helpful comments I used and copied from another forum.

Motorola Media link makes it easy but you have to make the correct settings. Motorola does not make this easy with their horrible instructions. After you download the software go to settings (top tabs), click music (on the left side tabs) then click itunes. Go back to Music on the top menu and click it all your itunes playlists should show. Select a playlist then go ahead mount your Droid (you have to look at the notifier bar on the top of your droid and a USB symbol should show), press on it and mount it. After the Droid is mounted your can sync it, a window will come up and be sure to look at it carefully because there is either a preference tab or music tab and you need to set the correct settings. (Sorry can't pull it up without the Droid mounted) For some stupid reason they have default set to copy music from your droid to your computer and I wound up with voice commands for directions in the music on my computer...... ugh stupid settings. Check your preferences it so it copies to the droid, the motorola screen shots are terrible, very blurry, but take a minute to look at those tabs on the Sync window because if you reset them it works perfectly. If the settings are right it will show the number of songs it is transfering if it sits there and just churns the settings are wrong. All album names, artwork and track and artist names transfer perfectly from itunes. Media link doesn't work with monster lists or libraries like 2 thousand songs but a few hundred at a time works really well. Hope that helps, I have several Itunes playlists and everything transfered beautifully, artist album, song and artwork, but it didn't happen the first time until I reset the sync preferences

Sheepdog

Reaction score
So now that I know double twist is a failure any more programs that are like Twist??

Mr. Pennstate, I'm not sure which computer platform you're using, but if you happen to be on a Mac, doubleTwist 1.0b14 is the current version, and it seems pretty solid; I think the upgrade is for PCs.

There is a new beta version of the Mark/Space program, "Missing Sync" for Android 2.0; when it's out of beta, it'll cost a little money, but you can use the beta version for 40 days.

Also, there's another thread on this board with instructions for setting up an FTP server on your Droid; this allows you to access the media card using your home Wi-Fi network and an FTP client. I'm about to leave my computer for a couple of days, but search for FTP in the Market. It seems to work fairly well, and it's relatively easy to configure.