Double of all my Contacts

Schmitty7

Reaction score
I have 2 of each of my contacts. Is there anyway to get rid of one and keep all the rest?

msheldon

Reaction score
The only way I found was to sign into gmail via a web browser and delete the dupes from there.

OP
Schmitty7

Schmitty7

Reaction score
The only way I found was to sign into gmail via a web browser and delete the dupes from there.

How then do I re sync those contacts back onto my phone to get rid of the dupes?

OP
Schmitty7

Schmitty7

Reaction score

How then do I re sync those contacts back onto my phone to get rid of the dupes?

Nevermind I figured that out, but I messed up at imported my contacts from my SD card again and that tripled the contacts until I did what was said above. Does anyone know how to get rid of that problem? Or how to just delete all the contacts and start over?

tomlist704

Reaction score
I have the same problem and to make matters worse I use Touchdown which is great, but it stores it own contacts and I have what seems to be to separate databases. When my Droid was replaced the verizon guy quadrupled my database and I have 2240 contacts. I thought I would chime in to see what response you get.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
If you have the backup on your phone of when your numbers were originally ported in, you can just delete all of your contacts and re-import the original set of numbers.

*I'm not held responsible though if you delete all your contacts and can't get them back*

This is what I did though:
I wasn't happy with my contacts, so I downloaded an app called: ExportContacts. (The phone itself can't handle exporting to gmail format)

I then exported the contacts to the gmail format, logged into my gmail, imported the contacts from that file, the manually deleted/edited the ones I wanted changed.

It will automatically update your contacts as you're working on them IF you have syncing enabled. If you don't have syncing enabled to run in the background, you will have to turn syncing on long enough for your contacts to re-sync.

By exporting the file, you have at the very least another backup of your contacts. The app mentioned above was free when I downloaded, so the only thing this should cost you is a little time.

Good luck