Double handcent notifications (not what you think)

AKValle26

Reaction score
Read This
I've read a lot of threads about getting double notifications from texts: one handcent, one stock
This is NOT what is happening to me
In the regular messaging app, both notifications and auto retrieve are unchecked

This is my problem
Within handcent, I often will get two notifications for the same text
Example: If Sally sends me a text saying "okay, talk to you later", occasionally handcent will display in the notification bar "2 unread messages". Upon opening, it shows the same message from Sally twice.

Looks like this
Me (5:14): yeah, sounds good
Sally (5:16): okay, talk to you later
Sally (5:16): okay, talk to you later

More info
I've noticed this happens more often when 'Sally' was the last person to text me
I have Self-check enabled, and suspect this may be the cause. However, unchecking results in text messages not appearing in the conversation window (I get a notification, but then it disappears)

Thanks in advance!

droid d'oh

Reaction score
This happened to me a few weeks ago. Try clearning the cache in settings>applications>handcent, and if that doesn't work uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. Not sure why the program is doing this but that fixed it for me.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other side to that is maybe sally's device is pushing the text twice. People say mine does that sometimes. Though I can't figure out why

Reaction score
AKValle26 - Don't have a solution, but will confirm that this has been a problem for me for some time now. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, but haven't cleared the cache in awhile, so I'll try that.

Miami1683 - I'm going to throw out a guess based on experience that it's not coming from the other device. It happens to me probably 5 or 6 times a day, often with different people. I had given up looking for a solution because it's really nothing more than a nuisance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The other side to that is maybe sally's device is pushing the text twice. People say mine does that sometimes. Though I can't figure out why

Could very well be...I know a LOT of devices (Droid included, from personal experience) will auto-rety regardless of whether or not you resend a text. I've done that myself. I was in an area with poor reception and saw that a text didn't send and resent it, then was accused of sending it twice...

However, if it's ONLY (or mostly) happening when that person is the last one who texted you, that may be just a software issue, because if it's always Sally, I could see her phone pushing you multiple copies, but if it's Sally sometimes, then not Sally for a week because you were texting Bob more, and you never had this problem with Bob when Sally was the last person you got a text from and then Bob texted you, but now you're having the problem with Bob because he was the last person to text you, then I don't think it's Sally or Bob's phones...I think that I get what I'm saying here, but I could be wrong...lol

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this happens to me sometimes too.. i got like 6 of the same texts from "sally" the other day..

bdbraaten

Reaction score
I've had the problem crop up a couple times lately. Its happened in the middle of a conversation, not on every message though. I was texting back and forth with my wife, the first 2 or 3 messages came through once like they should, then I got a double and then the next one came back through as a single.

Its only started happening since I flashed a different rom on my phone, but I don't believe its the rom since it didn't do it the first time I ran this rom.

I just tried clearing the cache, now i'll have to wait and see if it comes back.

Reaction score
this happens to me sometimes too.. i got like 6 of the same texts from "sally" the other day..

Yep, usually all in quick succession of one another. Again, more an annoyance than anything, as the program functions well normally.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I get multiple texts from Sally... And Bob and Fred.

I also noticed it comes more often from people on Sprint or MetroPCS phones.

On occasion it will happen from a VZW phone and as for Att I am not sure, I don't get texted from that network.

This happened to me pre handcent and droid too, so I've always chalked it up to network s.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Yea I have the same problem from time to time but I think its them because it doesn't do it on other people on my list so I just ignore and keep it moving

OP
AKValle26

AKValle26

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies

Droid d'oh: I have already un/reinstalled the app, but that didn't seem to fix it. However I had not tried clearing my cache, so I just did that. I'll be posting back in a day or so with results

KrazyKrivda

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies

Droid d'oh: I have already un/reinstalled the app, but that didn't seem to fix it. However I had not tried clearing my cache, so I just did that. I'll be posting back in a day or so with results

For a TRUE solution if CHECK self check and REMOVE the Mms.apk

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can not confirm or deny that I too converse with Sally. :biggrin:

Daver

Reaction score
I've been getting this a lot lately. Seems like it happens only with all my friends/family that have vzw as well, which is strange. I guess I'll try clearing the cache and reinstalling sometime.

mjk

Reaction score
I've had this problem lately too. I recently did the DM updater root. Anyone else??