[Double]Glass Delayed 2014 & Become a Shopping Ninja with Crystal Shopper Glass App

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;6f9fh6vq6zs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f9fh6vq6zs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Here's a Google Glass double story for you this afternoon. The still fledgling mobile wearable computing device will have to remain embryonic for a bit longer. According to the latest info straight from Google sources, Google Glass' official launch has been delayed until 2014. They aren't experiencing any major technical difficulties with the device. They are simply taking extra precaution to make sure the experience of using the device is just right.

It's a rare thing when a company takes a bit longer to "fully bake" their products for consumer consumption, and several analysts in the tech industry have saluted Google for their wise move. Here's a quote with several perspectives,

"I'm pleased that Google has the discipline to hold Glass back until they think it's perfect," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. "Typically, Google will throw products out before they're ready, like the Nexus Q. Glass is a new category of devices and it's important that it works well. [If not], it could stunt the growth of these kinds of devices."

"That's interesting, but not surprising," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst at ZK Research. "Glass has so much hype around it that it's more important Google get it right than get it out early or on time."

Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group, said his bet is that Google is taking extra time to focus more on Google Glass marketing than technology.

"Google hasn't said anything about the slip or why it's happening," said Olds. "If I were to speculate, I'd say it's more marketing related than technical. Just the specter of Google Glass has caused a lot of buzz in both the tech world and with consumers. Businesses have banned them preemptively and there have been lots of discussions about how this device impacts privacy.

"I think Google wants some extra time to figure out how to best introduce Glass and how to make prospective customers, and the people around them, feel more comfortable with the technology," he added.

That's not all we have for you on the subject of Google Glass. An interesting new app is being developed for the device which offers a compelling and useful reason to own it for some users. This app is called Crystal Shopper and it aims to turn you into a "shopping ninja" with the help of Google Glass. This app allows you to search for prices on a given product and even fetches Amazon ratings from the web, all after you simply scan the barcode of the product by giving it a glance with Google Glass. What a neat idea!

It should be noted that the app looks a little laggy in the video demo above, but that is likely just one of the reasons why Google is going to take a bit longer to release the device. This way, they can work out all the tiny little kinks in apps and functionality before it eve hits retail shelves.

Source: ComputerWorld

jspradling7

Reaction score
Raccoon_Really_Really_Want.jpg

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
That's good. They're still feeling out the feedback from the public about what they want and how it should perform, and no one else is going to really beat them to the market in this category right now so it makes sense to hold off. Some really nice extra features or ideas might come up between now and then to make the device more realistic. Could be better hardware, better aesthetics, better optics, better software...better everything. One thing is for sure, if it flops it will bring a potential paradigm down with it for quite some time.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too true HJ! Well said.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd much rather have that kind of an app for my phone. As for what you have to do to scan an item...ya...no. I'm a big nerd. I have no issue with that. I embrace it since it is who I am but seriously, walking around holding item to your head and making such large head gestures, many people will pass.

But seriously, make that app for my phone! If an app like that already exists, please tell me the name of it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This app allows you to search for prices on a given product and even fetches Amazon ratings from the web, all after you simply scan the barcode of the product ...
OK, call me future-boy, but...

I'd much rather have that kind of an app for my phone. As for what you have to do to scan an item...ya...no. I'm a big nerd. I have no issue with that. I embrace it since it is who I am but seriously, walking around holding item to your head and making such large head gestures, many people will pass.

But seriously, make that app for my phone! If an app like that already exists, please tell me the name of it.

...um...this...?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.biggu.shopsavvy

And for those with Amazon accounts:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.pricecheck

-Matt

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

ShopSavvy seems close. I have Barcode scanner but I wanted the features for rating and finding the lowest price. I'll give ShopSavvy a shot.

Scanned one item with ShopSavvy and thats what I want. Thx man.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ShopSavvy seems close. I have Barcode scanner but I wanted the features for rating and finding the lowest price. I'll give ShopSavvy a shot.

Scanned one item with ShopSavvy and thats what I want. Thx man.
Best Buy has formally banned me. ;) I think my ninja-shopping skills are improving!

-Matt