Doppler Radar

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by loners4me, May 18, 2010.

1. loners4me

loners4me New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any apps that provide local dopplar radar?

2. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the weather channel

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I use Radar Now but I can't say it's any better then the weather channel. It does show the radar in motion, I don't think Weather Channel does that. I have both actually.

4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +169
    I use WeatherBug Elite which has the dopplar radar in it. The free version does not have radar.

5. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the weather channel does animate the radar and you can zoom in/out of your location, etc.

weather channel also has videos about weather and weather alerts. it's decent for what it is. doesn't seem to drain my battery anymore than anything else, so i've always used it.

6. FuzzyBeard

FuzzyBeard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Radar now is a great app for just checking the radar. It checks your location, it downloads a radar map in motion. no more, no lesss. I also find it to be more accurate than the others when I'm on a motorcycle ride to avoid the rain. Weather channel just blurs the whole area

7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I use Radar Now but it does not flip to landscape. It would be nice to have when traveling while in the car dock.

8. dboss007

dboss007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use WeatherBug Elite which is really nice for radar. There's also a widget with radar and a refresh button which is very nice as well since then you don't have to launch the app all the time just to see the current radar. Plus, its only $2.

9. tameone

tameone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does, but it's just a static image with zooming.

10. Wraith

Wraith Member

Ratings:
    +0

+1 on that. Radar Now has been dead a couple times for me, and requires a connection. I have found Weatherbug more stable.

Also, if you use LauncherPro Beta (awesome) or some other home replacement that lets you use multiple screens, Weatherbug has a widget that shows Radar. I have a "map and weather" screen devoted just to this.

Also, Smartphones are only as smart as their user; Down here in Texas a couple months ago I left a friends house around midnight and forgot to check the weather. A 20 minute thunderstorm just formed with a "purple" center right over my car as I drove away....I got hit with a burst of hail that localized JUST OVER MY CAR! If I had checked the weather briefly I would have seen it coming and stayed there abit longer. Crazy Texas weather.

11. Spartan

Spartan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I bookmark Intellicast.com in my favorites. Has a very good local doplar that you can save for your region. Along with this I use Weather Bug Elite radar widget.

12. sn2hotty

sn2hotty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    An all-time favorite of mine is My-Cast, but it's not available for Android yet. Only reason I'm posting this is because they keep promising it's in the "final stages" of development for Android, and that it's coming soon. Not sure how much it'll cost when it comes, but it's the best weather app I've used on any phone (last one was the LG Dare). It also shows LIVE lightning strikes (not the static ones on a previous app I installed and removed--I think it may have been Radar Now). Check it out when it comes. Radar was also very fluid in its animation, and refreshed quickly.

13. JeffBea

JeffBea New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Radar now sucks! Try "Rainy Days". Free, Uses google maps. Better resolution than radar now. I have it a 5 star rating, would have gave it more if possible.

14. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My-cast has been available for a while now. Search the market. Cost is worth it as opposed to a monthly subscription.

Just tried rainy... not bad. Don't think anyone yet has resolution matching my cast, by then I'm looking flightwise, not just for ground stuff.

15. sn2hotty

sn2hotty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The version of My-Cast that's available now is Pilot My-Cast. It's $130, which is more than I want to spend (I know, monthly subscriptions over time would total much more than that, but I heard My-Cast (regular) may cost around $30-40. Pilot My-Cast is more for pilots, just as the name implies.

Digital Cyclone keeps promising that the regular version of My-Cast will be available soon, so I will wait for it.

Search tags for this page
android radar widget

best doppler android

best doppler radar app android

doppler apps for android
doppler radar android background
doppler radar app for htc rezound

doppler radar apps

live radar wallpaper for android

radar in motion for android

rainy days vs radar now