Don't Touch My Droid

DreadX

Reaction score
Get your own Droid!

Makes lots of sense lol.. I work at a hospital, and we always have to wash our hands to promote cleanliness and not spread germs,bacteria,etc.. why would it be any different on touchscreens! =-)

Eliminate Windows 7 phone...:reddroid:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the thousands (millions?) of dollars wasted to do stupid studies like this are sickening.

Right... researching medicine is an awful idea. I just read the Methods section of the paper and this study and it couldn't have cost more than a few dollars. If you think that studying the role of fomite in disease transfer is stupid then I suggest you don't make comments on things you know nothing about.

Virus transfer between fingerpads and fomites. [J Appl Microbiol. 2010] - PubMed result
If you're interested.

This studied compared the transfer of several viruses from fingers-to-glass and glass-to-finger. This was mainly to compare whether 1 virus could transfer better than another. They found that they could. Since they didn't use influenza, we can't make assumptions about influenza; the journalist did that, not the scientists. There isn't any mention of "influenza" or "phone" in the study.

Seems like a quick and easy experiment. Who knows how useful it will be.

a few dollars?? seriously? these were three researchers at Stamford University who were each undoubtedly given research grants as well as salaries and you're telling me the experiment cost a couple of dollars? k...it may not have been millions, but it surely was thousands, and it sure as hell wasn't a "few dollars"

antron007

Reaction score
If people would quit over-sheltering their children and quit raising them to be week little wussies this wouldn't even be news.

I'm 6'1" and weigh a Buck 45, not a big Guy by any means. I probably have one of the worst diets known to man. But I grew up 12 blocks from one oil refinery and less than a mile from another.

I've lived surrounded by heavy pollution for the first 22 years of my life. I never see a doctor. I never take vitamins or get flu shots. I also rarely get sick and when I do it lasts for a day if that.

My point is that I was exposed to these environments as a child and my body built a tolerance to these things.

Natural selection people.

Didn't anybody see war of the worlds?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Oh right, I forgot about the 6 figure salary doctoral students get. How do you know that these salaries aren't funded by the school? In fact, it looks like much of this research was.

Science isn't about efficiency - it can't be. Think of it as a game of football. You can't script every play you're going to run a day before the game and expect to win. Research is the same way; not everything is going to fit your hypothesis. What if this research showed that no microbes were transferred by the glass? And then they came up with a antiviral drug which is made of fine glass particles? It'd be worth while then.

Does it sound ridiculous? A little... but remember; penicillin was discovered because someone screwed up.

Antron007:
Using anecdotal evidence to imply that doctors and medicine is useless is sort of a step backwards. We see clear epidemiological evidence that countries with lower standards of health have much severe problems. For example, Tuberculosis kills 33% of those who died of infectious diseases. I think <30 people last year had TB in the United States, and most of those were foreign-born cases. In reality, you're leaching off of those who do all those things to keep healthy.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh right, I forgot about the 6 figure salary doctoral students get. How do you know that these salaries aren't funded by the school? In fact, it looks like much of this research was.

Science isn't about efficiency - it can't be. Think of it as a game of football. You can't script every play you're going to run a day before the game and expect to win. Research is the same way; not everything is going to fit your hypothesis. What if this research showed that no microbes were transferred by the glass? And then they came up with a antiviral drug which is made of fine glass particles? It'd be worth while then.

Does it sound ridiculous? A little... but remember; penicillin was discovered because someone screwed up.

Antron007:
Using anecdotal evidence to imply that doctors and medicine is useless is sort of a step backwards. We see clear epidemiological evidence that countries with lower standards of health have much severe problems. For example, Tuberculosis kills 33% of those who died of infectious diseases. I think <30 people last year had TB in the United States, and most of those were foreign-born cases. In reality, you're leaching off of those who do all those things to keep healthy.

it doesn't matter if it was funded by the school or by larry, the janitor from the third floor, money had to be spent to conduct an experiment and research like this. how exactly do you define "a few dollars"? do you think the school handed the researchers $40 and said "go figure this touchscreen thing out, guys!"...absolutely not...equipment, time spent, salaries/stipends to the researchers, it was far more then a few dollars to do an experiment that pretty much says if you have germs and you pass your touchscreen to someone else, someone else might get those germs...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read some study at one point that showed children who grow up eating boogers and dirt and such grew into healthier adults because their immune systems were exposed to so much more than kids who were bathed in Purell and the like.

Give your kid a smartphone as a child, encourage them to lick the screen, and they'll never get sick as an adult :)