1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Don't Touch My Droid

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Oct 15, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

That is the message taken away from a recent finding by Stanford University on transfer of germs via touch screens. They said when people share touch screens, they share whatever germs they have on their hands, and that could possible cause health problems.

Now if you think that is bad, here is a direct quote from the original source:

This has lead me to start a "Dude, get your own.... Droid" modeled after the popular PSP commericial because we wouldn't want our one true love (my Droid) to be infected by anything, Would you?

News via: I4U
  2. ocpd44

ocpd44 New Member

Nobody touches my Droid X anyway. It's mine, all mine, bwwaaahahahahahah.......
  3. oh9er

oh9er New Member

Gives a new meaning to "My droid got a virus"
  4. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

I can't get passed the first line... massage? thinking about that happy ending?
  5. ocpd44

ocpd44 New Member

Ha ha, good one. I could use this as another reason not to let people touch my droid. "Uh, sorry, I have a cold and I don't want you to catch it from my phone." Yeah, sounds good.
  6. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

:icon_ goofy: Wow, what a revelation...touchscreens can transfer germs. Welcome to the world! Same thing goes for when you open a door, push the elevator button, put money in the parking meter and turn the dial, etc. Speaking of money, any idea how many people, sick and not, have touched your cash before you?

Germs travel. It's part of life.
  7. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

This is common sense.
  8. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

This.

/10char
  9. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

How is this any different from sharing a phone without a touch screen? You still touch the buttons in that case right?

It a good thing so much time was wasted on this study. Who would have ever guessed that you can get germs from someone by touching the same thing that they did?... /sarcasm
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

purell, rinse, repeat, purell, rinse, repeat :blink:
  11. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

Took the words outta my fingertips.
  12. CxanDroid

CxanDroid New Member

DUH?

We need studies to tell us this? I am getting more and more worried about our future.
  13. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

the thousands (millions?) of dollars wasted to do stupid studies like this are sickening.
  14. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Right... researching medicine is an awful idea. I just read the Methods section of the paper and this study and it couldn't have cost more than a few dollars. If you think that studying the role of fomite in disease transfer is stupid then I suggest you don't make comments on things you know nothing about.

Virus transfer between fingerpads and fomites. [J Appl Microbiol. 2010] - PubMed result
    If you're interested.

This studied compared the transfer of several viruses from fingers-to-glass and glass-to-finger. This was mainly to compare whether 1 virus could transfer better than another. They found that they could. Since they didn't use influenza, we can't make assumptions about influenza; the journalist did that, not the scientists. There isn't any mention of "influenza" or "phone" in the study.

Seems like a quick and easy experiment. Who knows how useful it will be.
  15. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

They didn't just say "Viruses can be transferred between surfaces"... they quantified it. The "journalist" sensationalized it.
  16. DreadX

DreadX New Member

Get your own Droid!

Makes lots of sense lol.. I work at a hospital, and we always have to wash our hands to promote cleanliness and not spread germs,bacteria,etc.. why would it be any different on touchscreens! =-)

Eliminate Windows 7 phone...:reddroid:
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

a few dollars?? seriously? these were three researchers at Stamford University who were each undoubtedly given research grants as well as salaries and you're telling me the experiment cost a couple of dollars? k...it may not have been millions, but it surely was thousands, and it sure as hell wasn't a "few dollars"
  18. antron007

antron007 New Member

If people would quit over-sheltering their children and quit raising them to be week little wussies this wouldn't even be news.

I'm 6'1" and weigh a Buck 45, not a big Guy by any means. I probably have one of the worst diets known to man. But I grew up 12 blocks from one oil refinery and less than a mile from another.

I've lived surrounded by heavy pollution for the first 22 years of my life. I never see a doctor. I never take vitamins or get flu shots. I also rarely get sick and when I do it lasts for a day if that.

My point is that I was exposed to these environments as a child and my body built a tolerance to these things.

Natural selection people.

Didn't anybody see war of the worlds?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Oh right, I forgot about the 6 figure salary doctoral students get. How do you know that these salaries aren't funded by the school? In fact, it looks like much of this research was.

Science isn't about efficiency - it can't be. Think of it as a game of football. You can't script every play you're going to run a day before the game and expect to win. Research is the same way; not everything is going to fit your hypothesis. What if this research showed that no microbes were transferred by the glass? And then they came up with a antiviral drug which is made of fine glass particles? It'd be worth while then.

Does it sound ridiculous? A little... but remember; penicillin was discovered because someone screwed up.

Antron007:
    Using anecdotal evidence to imply that doctors and medicine is useless is sort of a step backwards. We see clear epidemiological evidence that countries with lower standards of health have much severe problems. For example, Tuberculosis kills 33% of those who died of infectious diseases. I think <30 people last year had TB in the United States, and most of those were foreign-born cases. In reality, you're leaching off of those who do all those things to keep healthy.
  20. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

it doesn't matter if it was funded by the school or by larry, the janitor from the third floor, money had to be spent to conduct an experiment and research like this. how exactly do you define "a few dollars"? do you think the school handed the researchers $40 and said "go figure this touchscreen thing out, guys!"...absolutely not...equipment, time spent, salaries/stipends to the researchers, it was far more then a few dollars to do an experiment that pretty much says if you have germs and you pass your touchscreen to someone else, someone else might get those germs...
Search tags for this page
don't touch
don't touch my droid
dont toch dorid

dont touch

dont touch my droid

dont touch my droid for windows phone
dont touch my droid ø¨ø±ø§ûŒ ø§ù†ø¯ø±ùˆûŒø¯
dont touch!
dont tuch my droid
how to set up university of toledo email on android
set up utoledo email on galaxy