Don't return your phone to VZW by mistake - Verizon say's you won't get it back -

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to Verizon Wireless and their newly updated Return Policy if you return a device, even by mistake after the 14 day return period, not only will they not refund your money but they are keeping your device too - check the last paragraph and click the link for the full policy updated 1/16/2011

bil0ee.png

Full Link - Verizon Wireless Return Policy

thanks to zSwashbuckler over at Android Forum - Android Phone Forum for the find

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well of course they are going to have that in there. Anyone can say it was a mistake.

And they are right. Who "accidentally" returns their phone?

cpjr

Reaction score
On paper or not, they won't be able to get away with that.

EDIT: after re-reading it a few times it makes more sense.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course they will get away with it. Nobody returns their phone by mistake. For crying out loud, a little common sense here.

cpjr

Reaction score
Of course they will get away with it. Nobody returns their phone by mistake. For crying out loud, a little common sense here.

Muh, I just edited my op, after re-reading it makes sense.

Firewing

Reaction score
in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
And what if I return my phone without reading the whole contact only to find out that I can't get it back and I have to pay full price? I know everyone should read their contracts but I am sure some don't, I don't think it is fair to keep the device, it isn't right

Sent from where the mountains meet the desert

cpjr

Reaction score
And what if I return my phone without reading the whole contact only to find out that I can't get it back and I have to pay full price? I know everyone should read their contracts but I am sure some don't, I don't think it is fair to keep the device, it isn't right

So it would be Verizons fault you didn't read the contract.

If that was the case EVERYONE could play the "I didn't read" card and a contract would be useless.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And what if I return my phone without reading the whole contact only to find out that I can't get it back and I have to pay full price? I know everyone should read their contacts but I am sure some don't, I don't think it is fair to keep the device, it isn't right

Well, that's not going to happen to you. You know all about it now. :)

When you sign a contract it's a legal binding agreement. I watch Judge Judy all the time, there is no getting out of it.;) Not in her court, or The Peoples Cour or even Judge Mathis' court. And no attorney will take it because it's small claims.

cpjr

Reaction score
I bet you could get away with it by using the Wooky defense.

PS- South Park reference, j/k

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's like selling a car, but keeping both the money and the car. Common sense or not, this wouldn't hold up in court.

cpjr

Reaction score
That's like selling a car, but keeping both the money and the car. Common sense or not, this wouldn't hold up in court.

No your not reading the agreement correctly. Yes that's what it sounds like, but that's not the case.

Firewing

Reaction score
in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
I am not saying it would be verizon's fault....but if I couldn't return the phone I would like it back, not for them to keep it and make me buy a brand new device because I was stupid.... It just seems like they could even make you pay to get it sent back but that is just a way to make a lot of money, it just seems wrong....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First of all a car wouldn't be small claims unless it was a hoopty. And how would you "accidentally" return the car? Same thing for the phone it's bull and Verizon is looking out for it's policy.

Hey I don't like the 15 day thing. But this is just common sense, nothing more.

scoder

Reaction score

How is it Verizon's fault if people don't read their contracts? Don't you think it's the consumer's fault for not looking over the terms and conditions in which they're agreeing to? I was a tech for Verizon and I've seen hundreds of people come in to the store and say "Well how was I supposed to know about that policy?" Well lady, you agreed to it when you were too lazy to read a few pages of important information and just signed away.

I find it alarming and very sad that a majority of people feel entitled to special treatment ("Well can you just accept this return outside of 30 days as a courtesy? I didn't know about that policy") when the information they claim they weren't aware of was right in front of their faces at some point, yet they were too lazy or excited about their new device to skim through it.

Firewing, how is this "not right"?

Also, let me break down the contract thing. When you sign that contract, you are binding yourself to an agreement to use Verizon's service for the next 2 years. That's all. You are not binded to that specific model of phone or even the amount of minutes or texts you chose when the contract was signed, these things can be changed throughout the contract (although they will not subsidize another phone for you so you will pay full price for another model, and there are a few limitations to changing your plan multiple times in a month). The return policy not only lets you get reimbursed for the subsidized phone you purchased, but it voids your contract. But after those 14 days, that contract is set in stone and that phone cannot be returned. So imagine those 14 days ran up, and you decide to mail your phone back to Verizon because you don't want it anymore. First of all, who does this without first talking to a Customer Service Rep? "Oh, I don't like this phone/I dont want Verizon's service anymore, let me just ship back my phone because they will automatically assume that I want to return it and cancel my contract."
No, anyone with half a brain would first speak with someone and get some instructions as to where to ship the phone back to and what to include, and the CSR would then notate the account to show that a phone would be coming back to the warehouse. This would be about the time when the customer would be told by the CSR that their contract is already past its 14-day grace period and they can not ship back their device.

This is all common sense, isn't it?

Last edited: