Don't Pirate Apps, Unless You Have No Shame That Is

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you have made a habit of pirating apps you should be aware that developers that would generally have no means of retribution have taken to public shaming. An IOS jailbreak developer has exposed the pirates of his app with a little nugget of hidden code. This code will auto tweet "I just opened ControlCenter on mypirated copy of #hideme7 by @CPDigiDarkroom" from the pirate's phone. Also it auto tweets on your behalf every time you interact with the app. It is pretty scary that developers have this kind of access to your device when you use apps from untrusted sources, this should be reason enough for any of you addicted to app pirating to give it up already!

Via Twitter

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 4.36.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 4.36.07 PM.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 286

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I'm totally with the developer of that app - pirating apps is reprehensible as hell considering the work that goes into creating them and the minimal charge for the apps offered by these guys. A few years back a friend of mine who was a developer commented that the people who actually paid for the apps they downloaded vs the actual number downloaded was like 10%...meaning 90% of the people just took the app and went on their merry way. He said that a 10 year old kid with a good paper route made more money than the average app developer.

That is just not *right* guys! If you like the app enough to keep it, then you like it enough to pay the few dollars for it.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I used to use pirated apps like mad when I used an iPhone. Used a couple on Android but ended up buying them. I havent' done it in a very long time but if an app that is more than a buck or two had my eye, I'd probably download a copy of it first to check it out. With the return window being so small these days, I won't buy it without giving it a check. That being said, I have bought some $5 apps without issue. I knew they were good by what people have said and what they do. Stuff like Titanium Backup or Helium Premium, they were easy as the free versions limited you on what the pro versions could do and you really really wanted those features. Plus, I make more $$$ these days so I dont' mind spending a few bucks on an app.

Also, that app wouldn't affect me as I don't use Facebook or Twitter or anything else. I'm a loner!

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally with the developer of that app - pirating apps is reprehensible as hell considering the work that goes into creating them and the minimal charge for the apps offered by these guys. A few years back a friend of mine who was a developer commented that the people who actually paid for the apps they downloaded vs the actual number downloaded was like 10%...meaning 90% of the people just took the app and went on their merry way. He said that a 10 year old kid with a good paper route made more money than the average app developer.

That is just not *right* guys! If you like the app enough to keep it, then you like it enough to pay the few dollars for it.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...
Every time Google gives me free Google money for buying whatever device I use it to buy apps that have ad free versions if I haven't already purchased it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
At least the Play Store finally opened their eyes and raised the refund time from 15 min (which was ridiculous) to an hour. I still think the old 24 hour limit was the best, but an hour is at least doable. I'm all about supporting developers, but give us some time to determine if we're actually going to use said purchased app.

tap'n

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Reactions: CJM

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Haha ..Corey ..Cliff....enough with these surveys ...I'm sick of them asking me what I think ...lol
Pay for apps peeps ...or Amazon as stated b4 ...

M8 tap'd

Reactions: CJM

swc2001

Reaction score
Well my first thought was, What if the offender doesnt have any social media accounts like twitter?
Then it wouldnt matter. Now I never advocate Piracy.... however I have before bought an app Titanium backed it up and returned it so I could try before I buy. If I liked it I would buy it immediately if not I would simply delete it. This might be over say a few days a week at most.
I started doing that back when I kept getting burned by trash apps not doing what they claimed.
Of course now days alot of apps check to see if you own it first before every use..... I disagree with that because sometimes I would like to use it while in airplane mode..... such as "Sleep & Noise Sounds"
But some app Devs are nice and give you a trial version before going pro to see if you like it or not. I have alot more respect for those Devs.

Just my 2 cents

(AGAIN I DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY!)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Even if I don't like the app, I will pay .99 cents to get rid of the ads alone. I used to be on board pirating Windows software that cost $100 + and never worked well, but a couple bucks? Come on people.

Also,
Imo, the best way to get paid apps for free on Android is by using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks
The dough may not come pouring in, but it adds up over time

I have used this app for a couple months now, it is awesome. I have gotten about $6 already and the surveys take no time at all. I mean, the surveys take hours, and they give you pennies, don't waste your time with it folks.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded a free game that was quite addictive. It quickly became so difficult that buying the coins/jewels necessary for upgrading equipment became a requirement for advancing or you played levels multi-dozens of times over to gain coins/jewels for each upgrade. The fee for purchasing a "stop the wait between fights" upgrade was $50. Looking at the upgrade path, one could easily spend $300 on the necessary coins/jewels and still not reach a game-beatable character.

Pirating a $5 app seems mighty cheap of someone who is spending ten times that or more each month for the device on which they're using the app but the in-app purchases on some games are obscene.

I could certainly understand why someone might install the Freedom app on a rooted device to bypass the Playstore, making in-app purchases free, and then install Market Unlocker to allow Freedom to run. Or you could just exercise some discretion and discipline and uninstall uber-greedy apps.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...

All of you that think that using an app without paying for it is "reprehensible"...

Do any of you have MP3's, movies, TV shows or pr0n in your file collections? Did you pay for every single song or movie? Every "adult content" video, did you pay for all of them?

How about that copy of WindowsXP or Win7? MS Office? Did you pay for those, or "borrow" a key from someone?

Ever copy a DVD or VHS tape from a friend back in the day?

My point is simply that when one goes into the software/Music/Video business, one accepts that pirating is gonna happen.

But I suspect that most of the people getting righteous and indignant when it comes to app piracy, have tons of things in their possession that were also pirated, but that they don't fess up to...

Thoughts?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Every time Google gives me free Google money for buying whatever device I use it to buy apps that have ad free versions if I haven't already purchased it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I do the Google Opinion Rewards thing and just bought Alarm Clock Plus Ad-Free with the money (usually .25c per survey) from that.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...

All of you that think that using an app without paying for it is "reprehensible"...

Do any of you have MP3's, movies, TV shows or pr0n in your file collections? Did you pay for every single song or movie? Every "adult content" video, did you pay for all of them?

How about that copy of WindowsXP or Win7? MS Office? Did you pay for those, or "borrow" a key from someone?

Ever copy a DVD or VHS tape from a friend back in the day?

My point is simply that when one goes into the software/Music/Video business, one accepts that pirating is gonna happen.

But I suspect that most of the people getting righteous and indignant when it comes to app piracy, have tons of things in their possession that were also pirated, but that they don't fess up to...

Thoughts?
Guilty as charged. Simply because there is too much garbage out there that people want to sell you, be it music, videos or software at astronomical prices. I don't have problems paying 99 cents for a movie or an album, or 10 cents for an app. If your product is good, you will still bank millions, if not then it's not my fault.