Don't like 2.2 update... help please!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tjcalderon, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

I hate Froyo update. I bought the Motorola Droid because I liked the OS and the apps. Doesn't matter I want to go back to 2.1. I have rooted my phone and done nothing else (SirPsychos).

Now, I want revert back to 2.1. How do I do that??
  2. wilderside

wilderside New Member

I was the same way, never rooted with 2.1 because I was happy with the phone the way it was. After 2.2 I started to hate my phone so I decided I would root and rom to keep me from throwing it. I started with Bugless Beast v0.4 and the smoked glass theme and was blown away. It was like a brand new phone. Its been about a month and I've tried all kinds of roms and love looking for new ones. Right now I'm using Bugless Beast v0.5 with the Black and Bold theme and its pretty sweet. Try it, you won't be sorry!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

you can use link 2 option 5 to go back to 2.0.1 then manually take the ESE81 update file from the Rescue Squad Files to get 2.1

then install a recovery or an older ROM thats on 2.1..
  4. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

Alright wilder that sounds great.

That's all good too Abe except I don't know how to do any of that...

So if I have 2.2 and my phone is rooted, if I do the Bugless Beast, does it only change the look of the phone OS or does it change the capabilities too?
  5. wilderside

wilderside New Member

Bugless beast won't change the look much at all. It will overclock you to 800 mHz as well as streamline everything. It adds a few tools in the app drawer too. Add a theme for a cool look.

I had a friend that walked me through my first one and it was pretty easy. Search out a good guide on here and go to work. I will have to reccomend Clockwork recovery instead of SPrecovery just for the fact that you can flash a rom without having to rename it to update.zip. Once you get Clockwork going you can do a Nandroid backup from Clockwork and save your current setup and go back to it anytime you want. I have a nandroid backup from when I was on Bugless Beast v.04 and have used it a few times after trying a rom and not liking it. My phone would be back to the way it was in 5 minutes flat.

6. wilderside

wilderside New Member

Upon thinking about it I think I used "Universal Androot" to root, then "Rom Manager" to install clockwork recovery. I installed "Titanium Backup" which will make a backup of the apps you have installed now. Rom manager will install roms for you but I prefer downloading them myself and filing them for future reference on the sdcard. When I want to install a rom I turn off my Droid then I hold X and then hold the power button at the same time till I see the M logo then I let go and it will boot into clockwork recovery. From there I can select my directory and rom that I want to flash. I always plug in my wall charger once I get into clockwork so I don't lose power.

I'm sure there is a step by step guide but I just thought I would tell my way so maybe it will start to make sense to you. I was very intimidated at first but now its easy.

7. tameone

tameone New Member

What about 2.2 do you dislike? Fixing or modifying things in 2.2 is a much better route than reverting to a slower and less capable OS.
  8. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Install a stock, rooted 2.1 ROM.

Not sure why you hate 2.2 so much.
  9. OuHiroshi

OuHiroshi New Member

If your work or university have WPA2 Enterprise based wifi encryption you'll find that 2.2 will no longer connect to them reliably. But I'm happy with 2.1 right now.
  10. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

I hate that they took the slide up App Menu function away, why would you do that? That's what made Droid different from all the other android phones... and I hate the new messaging app. It was so simple. It displayed the persons name and picture at the top and lines of text at the bottom. Now I have to put a picture up so a grey android guy won't drive me crazy and it displays like 70% less conversation. I haven't noticed much different in OS speeds of functionality. Besides communication, I just run basic apps like Notes, Mileage, Flixster, LogMeIn... nothing demanding.

So yeah, I haven't done anything still 2.2, it wouldn't mind just getting the 2.1 messaging and menu scheme if you know what I mean. . .
  11. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

I tried looking... I could only find 2.2 roms. Where would I get the stock 2.1?
  12. tameone

tameone New Member

Don't go back to 2.1 because of those issues. First, download ADW.launcher.. it's much better than the stock launcher anyway, and it defaults to vertical app drawer scrolling. I suspect Launcher Pro does the same. No one should run stock launcher.

Second, since you are rooted, there is 100% absolutely a 2.1 style mms.apk that you can use. Make a post in hacks or do a search for it.. a lot of people had this same issue (me included.. but I got used to it and don't care any more)
  13. furbearingmammal

I'm going to put this out there for a final resort because it seems that aside from the 2.1 messaging app your complaints are mostly cosmetic -- if ADW or LP doesn't fix the app drawer issue -- I have links to Peter Alphonso's stock, rooted 2.1 (ESE81) ROMs in both Odex and Deodex forms.

Try to get 2.2 working to your liking, though. Try a couple of custom ROMs, too, before giving in. 2.2 really is a vast improvement in terms of speed and other things, so if you can get it working you'll be happier than if you'd gone back. If not, you can always try them. Just ask for the links when you're done customizing and have decided you HAVE to have them. :)
  14. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

Okay, I still can't find a 2.1 messaging ROM or anything. Do you know of one? And which launcher is the best one?
  15. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

The OP is complaining about the way the 2.2 app drawer opens, by tapping the grid rather than sliding the tab up from the bottom. If you recall, the app drawer USED to open much the same way the notification bar does.

AFAIK, ADW.launcer doesn't change this at all.
  16. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

You REALLY don't want to go back to 2.1; not to fix the small issues that you have with 2.2 - you truly ARE better off getting used to the differences; since you are having no performance issues. Why? Because of the under-the-hood improvements in 2.2 that you can't see on the surface. For one, 2.2 is MUCH more efficient running Java code, to the point that some things happen as much as 4x faster. Also, it is based on a newer Linux kernel which has better memory management. Your CPU runs 50MHz faster by default (600MHz vs. 550MHz) and finally, some newer apps REQUIRE 2.2 or better. Also, reverting means you give up Adobe Flash capability.

All in all, I say stick with 2.2 because by going back, you lose more than you gain.
  17. furbearingmammal

What is a "messaging" ROM?
  18. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

I'm sorry I don't what the hell I'm talking about. No, I got used to 2.2 and have been back to 2.1 and I can definitely notice big differences. So the only thing I'm unhappy with is the messaging apps available...the messaging app I want was 2.1 stock...
  19. furbearingmammal

GOTCHA! :)

I figured that's what you meant, but if I was wrong...

I don't know if you can install the older version over. Have you tried Handcent or ChompMMS from the market? I don't think this have changed much since 2.1 in their appearance. If you have and don't like them I'll see if I can dig the stock 2.1 MMS app up for you. :) If it works, great! :)
  20. tjcalderon

tjcalderon New Member

Search tags for this page
don't like the android update. how do i reset to
dont like android update
i don't like the updates on my droid how do i change them ba
i got an update on my phone that i don't like how to change

i updated my motorola razr m but dont like the layout how do

motorola driod don't like updates
what if i don't like the update on my android phone