Dont get rid of your cars Gps...

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
I went on a multi state trip today. and ive always wondered what would happened to the driods gps if i lost 3G coverage. Well today i found out.. If you get off track it cant Not recalculate you back on track.. Also if you loose 3G coverage and your in Gps mode you will get an Alert (!) icon letting you know this.. So dont thrown your cars gps away! or at the very least, bring it With you on your trips! I had to plug in my garmin and use it.. It was fine UNTIL i had to get off track to stop at a store, then i was done....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Never a problem with mine....

OP
A

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
Never a problem with mine....

how long were you withOut 3g coverage when you lost it.. i was without coverage for 20-30 mins. It knew my route only as long as i didnt get Off the route.. Once i did,. "Game Over"..

jbernard703

Reaction score
I had this same problem at work. I needed to go out to Charles Town, WV and didn't bother writing directions down before i left because i had my trusty Droid with me. Well i was about an hour outside the Metro D.C. area when all of a sudden i lost my 3G coverage and my maps. I actually had to pull over and call the office to have them look online for the directions:mad:

OP
A

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
I had this same problem at work. I needed to go out to Charles Town, WV and didn't bother writing directions down before i left because i had my trusty Droid with me. Well i was about an hour outside the Metro D.C. area when all of a sudden i lost my 3G coverage and my maps. I actually had to pull over and call the office to have them look online for the directions:mad:

Very interesting!! I was on my way to D.C. when i lost my 3G coverage... same thing... gps became useless.. im very glad i kept my cars gps with me. it doesnt need cell coverage so Im safe....

goingup

Reaction score
What about someone really good with programing making an app that stores the rest of the trip info for retrival if coverage is lost? Can that be done?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with my GPS. In fact, my wife and I believe the Droid's GPS is more accurate and user friendly than the one on in Lexus RX350.

Mike

ldimick

Reaction score
I've not had any problems with my GPS. In fact, my wife and I believe the Droid's GPS is more accurate and user friendly than the one on in Lexus RX350.

Mike

What happens is that the maps are stored online. When you are out of 3G cell range you cannot download the maps. So all you see is a gird with your trail through it. Reminds me of watching snails race. Spent a large part of a trip through New Mexico like that.