Don't cringe; what's the most STABLE ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by BPB, Jun 30, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. BPB

BPB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a frequent reader of these forums and I'm aware that "what's the best ROM...?" is a subjective question dependant, in part, on your particular Droid.
    BUT - that being said, if we can narrow things down to one criteria - stability, what has the communities' experience been?
    I also know this is subjective based on what apps you might have running and what kernel / OC speed you have going. But all other things being equal, is there a ROM out there for the Droid 1 that is just renowned for stability?
    Don't flame me too bad!

Sent from my modded Droid Classic
  2. NebraskaX24

NebraskaX24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Project Elite 4.2

Not a single problem, no matter what new rom I decide to try, I keep nandroid of 4.2 on my phone and I always seem to go back.
  3. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found Simply Stunning 5.4 by Chevy to be very stable (oc'd to 1.1ghz with Peter's v3 kernel) for gingerbread 2.3.4.

For 2.3.3, I found GPA14 by Peter to be the most stable.

Brandon
  4. NebraskaX24

NebraskaX24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I don't come off as an a$$ here. And I've enjoyed SS5.4 and GPA15, but I don't think *any* Gingerbread roms even belong in the conversation.
  5. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, for my phone, stable means everything runs as it's supposed to...and both of those ROMs fit that bill. No lockups, random reboots, all apps work as they should and I'm constantly connected. As long as that's the case and the phone doesn't lag/stutter, it's "stable" for me.

Brandon
  6. estafusisx

estafusisx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I always go to charity smoked glass 11 when i get frustrated with a rom. Although I've been running SS 5.4 for 3 weeks while at camp (i guess you would call it that?) And have had 0 problems.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. guyinlaca

guyinlaca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've moved on to newer devices, but I test ROM's on my OG Droid. Every Gingerbread ROM I've seems to have fairly significant flaw.
  8. moset

moset Member

Ratings:
    +15
    SS5.4 is pretty close to flawless.

9. jchammer123

jchammer123 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't had a single issue with SS 5.4. I usually just wipe cache and dalvik cache every other day. Works amazing!

10. NebraskaX24

NebraskaX24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I was expecting too much from this thread when it started, or perhaps the few of you are very lucky.

He wanted *the* most stable rom. And I'm also interested in what people's *most stable* rom is. Not "mostly" stable, but the BEST for stability.

SS5.4, GPA nightlies, CM7.1 nightlies are all very good roms, but they aren't as completely rock solid as any good froyo ROM. They are newer, shinier and I enjoy running them, but he's calling for THEE most stable ROM.

Memory issues alone should discredit all GB ROMs. Supercharger, and some other tweaks go a long ways towards fixing them, but it's still not perfect. On top of that, every single GB ROM that I know of is still getting "patches" and "fixes"... doesn't that say something?

PE4.2, Sourcery 2.2 and a few other Froyo roms are rock solid stable, no memory issues, no glitches, and they haven't even been developed for weeks. While there are other issues with this (aren't going to see any new features added), it sure as heck is a sign that they are about perfection stability wise if people are still using them frequently.

Droid Concepts, Sourcery, PE4.2, Pete's deodexed droid stock build and many other Froyo ROMs aren't nearly as exciting as the new GB ROMs, but they are what the OP is asking for.

*Jerk rant over*
  11. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had glitches with stock Froyo, so to say that it's default the most stable isn't true. Before I rooted/ROM'd for the first time I used to have some issues with 3G data loss.

Everything still gets patches and fixes, so that doesn't mean a thing. And I have no memory issues with SS5.4 and I don't use any of the tweaks, no Supercharger and no compache. Nothing.

I can without a doubt say that GPA14 and SS5.4 are absolutely stable for me, and I have no doubts they would be just as stable as PE4.2 and Sourcery 2.2. Every phone is different, and perhaps some phones simply can't handle GB as well as others. The OP needs to test out all of his options and make his own decision based on what his phone can handle.

Brandon
  12. jengas kahn

jengas kahn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    either shadowrom or sapphire. they're both FRG22D based, but they are very stable considering all of their features.
  13. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    I am with Sourcery all the way. The Final Sourcery 2.2 Kang is the best combination of stability and features.

I don't know of any other Froyo rom with that has that many features and there is no GB rom that is as stable. To say a GB rom is stable but i clean dalvik cache and whatever else every other day is to kid yourself. A true stable rom doe's not need that.

Sourcery is running for months at a time with nothing remotely close to an issue.
    Just my two cents.. and no i am not the developer of it just a happy user.
  14. noisyKricket

noisyKricket Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, NebraskaX24 is right

Froyo Roms are the way to go if you want everything to work perfectly. For me Ultimate Droid 2.5 runs better on my phone than anything else i've tried. But i'm very sick of the red progress bar and the rotary screen says "emergency calls only" which is annoying.

I'd go with CyanogenMod 7 but I use SlideIt mainly and Swype for my keyboard and they don't work smooth with any Gingerbread Rom i've used. Same thing with PE4.2. On UD2.5 I can draw a perfectly straight line no matter how fast or slow I slide my finger acrros the keyboard. All GB Roms and PE leave a jittery line that will randomly mess up what I'm trying to text. And unfortunetly I can't bring myself to go back to a normal keyboard, lol. And it's annoying enough for me to never stay with a different Rom.
  15. jchammer123

jchammer123 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Its not kidding yourself to wipe the cache every other day, I used to do the same thing on Froyo roms to keep the phone from becoming slow and laggy. I do think that many people who say that GB roms are not stable, have not tried some of the latest builds because they gave up on GB in the beginning. Which is fine, but the latest GB roms have been excellent as far as stability on my phone.

Search tags for this page

most stable droid 3 rom

most stable rom for droid 1

stable froyo rom for droid incredible