Don't beat me...

patriot95

Reaction score
So I know I'll probably get pounced on because I'm sure this has been asked and covered many times. (Secretly hoping that my mildly-non-noob-post-count will help me avoid attack)

I have seen that when you root you lose everything. It requires a factory reset etc. I only want to root at the moment to be "ready" for when I want to start kernel/rom-ing and to get setcpu going. I really don't want to start over again.

NOOBIE ? #1 = Is this something that later may not require a full reset... or will it always require a full reset? If the latter, I guess I'll just have to suck it up. If I can wait for an "easier" root, I will.

NOOBIE ? #2 = If Verizon send out an update for the phone and you are completely stock EXCEPT rooted... can you update and keep root, or do you lose root? Can you even update if you are rooted on this phone?

Again... please pardon the questions. If you want to go off on me... please be kind and just ignore this post. I am just looking for some small helpful answers from the smarter-than-me members here at DF.

Nexus-ing out! DancingNexus

scdown

Reaction score
It's not the rooting that causes the reset, it's unlocking the bootloader, which needs to get done so that you can boot off the unsecured boot image that's a part of some unlock/root kits, which then allows you to enter the adb commands that root the phone (this assumes you're doing it the old fashioned way - the automated way of doing it wraps up all of these activities for you.

I think there's a high likelihood that accepting an OTA will unroot you, if it flashes a new system partition instead of updating files directly, but you'd still be able to re-reroot after the fact.

OP
patriot95

patriot95

Reaction score
It's not the rooting that causes the reset, it's unlocking the bootloader, which needs to get done so that you can boot off the unsecured boot image that's a part of some unlock/root kits, which then allows you to enter the adb commands that root the phone (this assumes you're doing it the old fashioned way - the automated way of doing it wraps up all of these activities for you.

I think there's a high likelihood that accepting an OTA will unroot you, if it flashes a new system partition instead of updating files directly, but you'd still be able to re-reroot after the fact.

Thank you for the info. I would probably do one of those automated ways. So I take it that means it will have to be reset. Unfortunate... but that also means I should do it now before I get too attached to my setup!

prowler85

Reaction score
Just do a TB backup and copy your "sdcard" to your computer before you root or do anything that will wipe everything. Won't take long to get it all back up.

Oh, and I didn't think it was all that noob of a question. It was actually a pretty good question that I hadn't seen yet. Even if it had, it can sometimes be difficult to find good answers from prior posts since they get buried so fast. But it was nice of you to pre-emptively genuflect to avoid any kind of beat down.:p

Last edited:

scdown

Reaction score
That's why a lot of people are getting it out of the way early. I unlocked and rooted the first night I had it.

OP
patriot95

patriot95

Reaction score
Just do a TB backup and copy your "sdcard" to your computer before you root or do anything that will wipe everything. Won't take long to get it all back up.

So... TB = Titanium Backup correct? I've never used it but I assume it's not too hard. By "sdcard" you mean have TB treat the internal storage as an sdcard when I back it up? I really should read more into this but I get lost in the mumbo jumbo. I apologize for that. I guess I need to find a do this, then this, then this guide.

OP
patriot95

patriot95

Reaction score
That's why a lot of people are getting it out of the way early. I unlocked and rooted the first night I had it.

I should have done this. But I'm not that experienced with the process. Only did it once to my Dinc. I haven't had time (until this weekend) to get it in order.

prowler85

Reaction score
Yes, TB is titanium backup. Sadly, you can't run TB unless you have root, so you will lose some stuff the first time. Here's how I would do it:
  1. Take screen shots of my homescreen setup and put pictures on SD card.
  2. Backup contents of SD card to a computer.
  3. Use the unlock bootloader method that SBenson posted.
  4. Download Titanium backup (I would get paid version, as it is much faster to restore a lot of apps)
  5. Let apps restore from the market this first time.
  6. Install a homescreen app (not vital, just reduces setup time in the future)
  7. Restore all other apps
  8. set up home screens using screen shots from above
  9. Restore SD card
  10. Create a TB backup of all apps
In the future, I would:
  1. Make sure I have a current TB backup (easiest just to run a batch of all apps & system data)
  4. Install Rom or whatever
  5. Download Titanium backup and stop market downloader
  6. Restore SD card
  7. Restore all apps + data from TB
The second time around I could have it completely restored in under 10 minutes, including homescreen setup (since I use a homescreen replacement). Nice and easy.

Last edited:
OP
patriot95

patriot95

Reaction score
Just found the sbenson guide. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I already installed the update for the phone so I hope that doesn't interfere. I will read through the 34 page thread before I do anything. Thanks for the guidance.

Hugg727

Reaction score
Yes, TB is titanium backup. Sadly, you can't run TB unless you have root, so you will lose some stuff the first time. Here's how I would do it:
  1. Take screen shots of my homescreen setup and put pictures on SD card.
  4. Download Titanium backup (I would get paid version, as it is much faster to restore a lot of apps)
  5. Let apps restore from the market this first time.
  6. Install a homescreen app (not vital, just reduces setup time in the future)
  7. Restore all other apps
  8. set up home screens using screen shots from above
  9. Restore SD card
  10. Create a TB backup of all apps
In the future, I would:
  1. Make sure I have a current TB backup (easiest just to run a batch of all apps & system data)
  4. Install Rom or whatever
  5. Download Titanium backup and stop market downloader
  6. Restore SD card
  7. Restore all apps + data from TB
The second time around I could have it completely restored in under 10 minutes, including homescreen setup (since I use a homescreen replacement). Nice and easy.

This is one of the best straight forward explanations I have seen....Thanks DancingNexus

jerroedr

Reaction score
geesh, i havent rooted a phone in over 2 years... it all sounds so familiar but yet so complex...lol

Creed

Reaction score
Why can't he just make a nandroid backup and restore to that after rooting?

virtualhuman

Reaction score
Why can't he just make a nandroid backup and restore to that after rooting?
Because you can't flash CWM to make the backup until after you've unlocked the bootloader, which is what erases your phone...