Done with Android

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Forget about N4 let's see N3... And I'm hearing S5 will be aluminum body.. They are giving in to the requests..

Noted 2x~4 beta

KaChow

Reaction score
Nice idea but sounds much better said than done. No way i am giving anyone a note 2 because they want to leave android. I am more than happy to allow them to go to apple world. Whatever phone they are wanting to give up i will gladly take. Bk i would love to help out with your fund (ok no i wouldn't) but i have a note 4 active Google experience edition to save up for. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's hard to think about Snapple when it comes down to the Google experience and gaining all those features... In fact considering that there are going to be Google experience phones coming out to GS4, HTC One, and Sony's XperiaZ, with on top of that an X phone... By Q3/Q4 Blackberry will be a memory of the past, Windows will only be known for Office software, and Apple will once again be a lost cause.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Funny, some things are universal I guess. I Moderate another Forum and it always strikes me funny when many times an Op throws an Oh Henry bar in the pool and then ski-daddles.
Anyway. As I've mentioned I own/operate a Company and actually "Need" a phone -vs- play with my phone. Great if it is fun too but, it has to
- Make/Receive calls
- Navigate
- Take/send photos
My Son has an iPhone, couldn't give me an iPhone and He had always wanted one and finally at 21 yeras of age went and jumped (in college and at PSU - Apple rules the day) He wants back to Android but rarely will utter the words aloud.
I "Had" a Samsung. Marched into Verizon and simply said, " I do not know what you want to do with this nor do I care, Give me back a Grown-ups Phone that actually works". They tried to give me a (the one obama has) I said "That was Funny, how about a Motorola"
I now use a MaxxHD and when my Son said the other night, "Hey Dad, let me have your phone a minute I want to download this app for you"
(That is what started the trouble when I had to get rid of my last RazrMaxx)
I said, " No"
"Why?"
" Because, No"
"Why"
" Because this phone works and it is going to stay that way"

Moral of my story. IMO the Droid, Motorola, Verizon, and my Phone ALL work. It is when people screw around with something that the problems start and that is true of many things - to include Life in general.
Here's to things that work!

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Funny, some things are universal I guess. I Moderate another Forum and it always strikes me funny when many times an Op throws an Oh Henry bar in the pool and then ski-daddles.
Anyway. As I've mentioned I own/operate a Company and actually "Need" a phone -vs- play with my phone. Great if it is fun too but, it has to
- Make/Receive calls
- Navigate
- Take/send photos
My Son has an iPhone, couldn't give me an iPhone and He had always wanted one and finally at 21 yeras of age went and jumped (in college and at PSU - Apple rules the day) He wants back to Android but rarely will utter the words aloud.
I "Had" a Samsung. Marched into Verizon and simply said, " I do not know what you want to do with this nor do I care, Give me back a Grown-ups Phone that actually works". They tried to give me a (the one obama has) I said "That was Funny, how about a Motorola"
I now use a MaxxHD and when my Son said the other night, "Hey Dad, let me have your phone a minute I want to download this app for you"
I said, " No"
"Why?"
" Because, No"
"Why"

Moral of my story. IMO the Droid, Motorola, Verizon, and my Phone ALL work. It is when people screw around with something that the problems start and that is true of many things - to include Life in general.

It's a comment thread. My comment was meant to elicit conversation, which it appears to have done successfully. I've read every post. The only reason I'm responding to this post is because you stated that "It is when people screw around with something that the problems start and that is true of many things." I haven't "screwed around" with anything. My Droid RAZR MAXX HD is completely stock, with only basic apps installed. That is why it's frustrating. Even the most basic tasks slow the phone down. It can't even load a basic webpage without suffering a hernia.

turbodave

Reaction score
- Make/Receive calls
- Navigate
- Take/send photos
I said, " No"
"Why?"
" Because, No"
"Why"

I would agree 1000% with you!! Having been a cell phone technician (now retired) for over 10 years, I believe you've hit the nail on the head.

Now, maybe the OP hasn't messed with his phone, who knows. But I'm one of the same school of thought. My MAXX HD is absolutely stock except for the Torque app I run for OBDII data logging, turbo cars.
It's absolutely when people start adding this, that and the other that problems start. There's usually always something that has been done to cause such issues.
Or, maybe the OP just has a bad phone. Mine works perfectly every time, does exactly what I want it to, when I want it, every time I want it, and only requires a recharge every third day (yes I turn it off at night).

I sincerly hope the OP doesn't switch to an Iphone or some other abomination. And sticks with the best carrier (Verizon).

KaChow

Reaction score
It's a comment thread. My comment was meant to elicit conversation, which it appears to have done successfully. I've read every post. The only reason I'm responding to this post is because you stated that "It is when people screw around with something that the problems start and that is true of many things." I haven't "screwed around" with anything. My Droid RAZR MAXX HD is completely stock, with only basic apps installed. That is why it's frustrating. Even the most basic tasks slow the phone down. It can't even load a basic webpage without suffering a hernia.

This is getting interesting and welcome back to the discussion. Around the thought of messing with the phone is what causes problems, and the idea that our devices are just prone to lag even if nothing is done to them, is something to think about and discuss. I remember my first Android device which was with HTC Hero with Sprint, which I rooted the device towards the end of the period that owned it, because I was learning that there was more customization and things that I could do with the phone. Which up until that point I had owned numerous Blackberries, Windows, and even Palm OS phones. The funny thing about those phones, is that they too had lag. Windows was notoriously known for slow performance, it didn't matter what carrier it was or which manufacturer it was it was just an awful experience. I never really liked Blackberry, but I was big on Palm. I guess while I mention those dinosaur phones they were important because they showed improvement, the models added color screens, added cameras, smaller antennas, which now they are getting back to becoming a bigger (thinner size) again, go figure that would happen. But with those phones they didn't allow for customization and even though they didn't there was still lag in them. We talk about apple and their phones, which not a lot of options to change things around, it's almost like being locked into the iTunes/Blackberry servers. I guess really the point that I am trying to get to, we are always going to have some type of lag in our phones, some greater than others, what works perfectly smooth for one person, will not always duplicate for everyone else. For those of us that own Android, we can be upset that our device doesn't run smoother, but at the same time we can look past that imperfection and enjoy our phones, make them our own, because after all we do have an Android. When I bought my phone, I bought it for all great features that it had, I don't remember caring that it had to be lag-free phone. Instead, it had features that I wanted, better reception, better battery, and better performance.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife was on multiple Android devices for a couple of years before moving to the iPhone - cheap and nice ones. She gave it a good shot, but was always asking me how to do things. Once she got a 4S (and now 5), I've never heard from her again (well, about her phone anyway ;)), and she just loves the simplicity of it. That's her preference - not because she's a girl, not because she cares about being stylish, and because she could not care less about customizing anything at all as long as it works and is easy to use (and also is one-hand-able!).

To the OP, more power to ya if that's your preference now. Obviously you've given Android a good shot so far!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Note 2 ftw. Yes im a note 2 fanboy right now. I mod my device, i use it for work, play, working out and it is just awesome. Imagine the battery life that you have with your razr maxx hd plus a much larger gorgeous screen with a better camera, crazy features, unlockable for roms, and just an all around beast with quad core 2 gigs of ram. No way i can go iphone after having this. When people try and show me pictures on their iPhones it just hurts my eyes looking at it. I rather them just email or send it to me in a text so i can download it and save my eyes by viewing the content on a much larger screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Caesars

Reaction score
PC let's just get a fund together and when someone wants to leave Android we hand them a Note...

In all seriousness the note 2 was and is by far the best Android experience I've had yet. I'm using a gs4 now and it's awesome, we will see if it overtakes the note 2 after a few months.

GS4/iPhone5

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness the note 2 was and is by far the best Android experience I've had yet. I'm using a gs4 now and it's awesome, we will see if it overtakes the note 2 after a few months.

GS4/iPhone5

You're an iPhone guy too aren't you? Or am I thinking of another member...

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score

Odd that the "screwing around" would be the trigger but, yes comments are all good (yours and mine) ANY app even the seemingly most benign can cause the problem - simply the nature of the beast. Possibly poorly written, maybe pushed to market too fast or simply a compromised app due to the meddling of the ill-intended.
None of that is the Hardware Manufacturers fault or the Service Provider it is actually more a metaphor for our current age.
I (personally) would rather have the Greatest level of Freedom possible EVEN IF it brings a level of risk because of that Freedom.
So, IF I download an app or customize my phone and it results in glitchy or laggy behavior - I simply do an FDR and start over.
No matter what - Hope ALL are happy with their choice of Toys/Tools to include the Op with whatever device suits the need or desire.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ah the joys of Android fragmentation and carrier overwrites of the UI. A developers (and sometimes users) nightmare.
As someone who doesn't mind, and actually enjoys, figuring out what works and what doesn't on said device I can honestly say I understand your point from owning an iPad before owning an Android tablet. The "it just works" part of ios was very disconcerting to my brain.
I totally understand your point of view because I came from Windows Mobile to Android when I NEEDED to make an emergency phone call ( my baby daughters fever spiked to 105 at oh dark thirty in the morning) and my Omnia froze and I couldn't call out until I rebooted the phone. Verizon didn't have the iPhone at that point but I'd have probably gone that route if they did.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So true, Mark... And (sidebar), glad to see you back on! Seems things worked out OK.