Done with Android

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The open source comment also applies to the hardware. That is becoming more and more important. It's about innovation, and competition.

Apple is doing everything they can to quash the competition.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'll agree with 95% of that what KaChow said but the 5% I disagree with is handing over my data to Google. You don't have to set up a Google account on the phone, and you don't have to use Gmail. You don't have to give Google access to your location, and you don't have to use Google + or Hangouts or Google play or Play Store or Google Phone or for that matter any of the Google based services. You don't have to use Google Navigation and you don't have to use Google Maps. You don't have to use Google Search and you don't have to use Google Cloud. You don't have to use Google Chrome and you don't have to use Google to store your contacts. You don't have to give Google access to your contacts list for other Google services. You don't even have to allow the pre-installed Google services (apps), to be enabled on the phone anymore...go to the app icon, drag it to the top, drop it. Then select app info. First choose to "Uninstall updates" if that is the choice, then after or otherwise choose "Disable", and the app goes away.

I think you get the point...and if you don't...in other words, you are OPTING IN on ALL of those things in order to use them because you WANT to use them. If they weren't superior in one form or another, you would use another service in replacement for them, but the truth is (IMHO), nothing beats Google Navigation, nothing beats Google Search, nothing beats Google Chrome, nothing beats Google Play (as compared to the other Android App Stores such as Amazon or the myriad of third party Android app sources), nothing beats Gmail for overall performance and simplicity, nothing beats Google in many fashions.

So, do I like that when I choose to use those Google services, that in some cases I am opting in to allow them access to personal and other data? Well, of course not. I am not a sheeple and I don't run with the herd. I don't drink the cool-aide (or the Apple juice, take your pick), I am not one who likes to be oppressed or suppressed or depressed, though I like to be impressed. Google has impressed me. Whenever and wherever I can, I opt out of allowing Google access to my data, but some of it just runs and works so much smoother if I do. In so many cases, Google has enhanced my life and made it more pleasurable, safer, faster, more colorful, exciting, and on and on, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

I suppose it comes down to comfort over privacy, and for the masses, they are willing to give up a certain level of privacy to obtain a certain level of comfort. A recent poll put the number at somewhere around 58% of people are willing to give up the right to the privacy of their cellular communications, in order to feel a certain level of increased security from terrorist activity (another thread), but the same metrics likely fit here, if not even a higher ratio. The reasons above are WHY many have stuck so closely to Apple and the iPhone phenomenon. Apple does many of the same things, which to the true Apple followers, though maybe less free than what we Android fans enjoy, but to those who haven't experienced the unleashing that takes place in Android, Apple is pretty comfy. It's certainly a large number of steps above a dumb phone and the range and breadth of accessories that are available for them take the user experience to a level that even us Android fans have yet to experience. I cringe every time I hear "iPhone compatible", or "iPhone Dock", or "iTunes ready", etc.

One thing they had going for them was the unified connector...location, size, number of pins, etc. It was the same across all models and all models fit all docks. The connections were ample for full remote control of the iPhone or iPod by the accessory, and so it just worked. The USB connection on our phones was first the Mini (a large failure), then the Micro (apparently seems to be as durable as they claim), but it's in different spots on all different model phones, even within the same manufacturer, so one phone STILL doesn't fit into another's dock. Then came Bluetooth to the rescue...or so it was supposed to. Incompatibility between the pure protocol and various iterations of hybrid versions to avoid licensing caused fragmentation similar to the MicroUSB. Apple almost went the same way with the introduction of the new smaller connector. Fortunately for them, an adapter seems to have been an acceptable solution. What I want to know is, what was so wrong with the earlier connector that it couldn't have continued in perpetuity? Was it really the SIZE>?

In a nutshell, fragmentation (or lack thereof), has been the boon or bust of Apple versus Android in many ways, and until one true standard emerges for Android (Bluetooth Smart?), which places its foot firmly on the iDock connector, I think Apple will have an edge and continue to reign as a power (maybe never to return to THE power, but certainly a top contender).

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ANother good point foxkat, one area where apple wins is with accessories and it is because it is basically the same device every year. It is a choice you can either have open source, with choice in screen size (and other hardware options) which comes with fragmentation, different manufacturer software, with limited dedicated devices (ihome etc) or you can have a simple device that just works and allows for the selection of many available accessories.

I actually have no issue with apple in I have a mac book pro and I bought my grandmother an ipad which she loves because it works and it is easy to use. Let's face it. not every one wants to customize everything. Some people want to turn on their phones and be able to use it. They are happy with certain app icon being where they put it and staying at that same place for the life of the phone. This do not make them less smarter than a person who can tweak every little detail of their phone. Frankly some people have more things they would rather do with their time.

I guess I more have an issue with apple and how sue happy they are but in the end after all this so called litigation we still have android and it is still getting better. Google and android oems just found other ways to innovate and in doing so they further distinguished themselves from one another.

Take away the lawsuits and I am ok with the android-apple war. A strong apple makes a stronger android which is better for all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
ANother good point foxkat, one area where apple wins is with accessories and it is because it is basically the same device every year. It is a choice you can either have open source, with choice in screen size (and other hardware options) which comes with fragmentation, different manufacturer software, with limited dedicated devices (ihome etc) or you can have a simple device that just works and allows for the selection of many available accessories.

I actually have no issue with apple in I have a mac book pro and I bought my grandmother an ipad which she loves because it works and it is easy to use. Let's face it. not every one wants to customize everything. Some people want to turn on their phones and be able to use it. They are happy with certain app icon being where they put it and staying at that same place for the life of the phone. This do not make them less smarter than a person who can tweak every little detail of their phone. Frankly some people have more things they would rather do with their time.

I guess I more have an issue with apple and how sue happy they are but in the end after all this so called litigation we still have android and it is still getting better. Google and android oems just found other ways to innovate and in doing so they further distinguished themselves from one another.

Take away the lawsuits and I am ok with the android-apple war. A strong apple makes a stronger android which is better for all.

Excellent response. :hail:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use myself as an example, (and it's not a bad one at all). I type poorly and always have, despite the best efforts of typing classes when I was young. I also appear to have fat fingers, I'm 67 years old and I have a condition called wet macula in my right eye, which causes a problem with focusing close up. When my customers ask for help on their iPhones, typically with E-Mail, I carry a fresnel lens, (kinda like a flat magnifying glass), in my back pocket so I can configure their phone. When I'm finished I REALLY can't see straight;)

I'm making 2 points here, the first being that Apple just doesn't make a phone large enough for me to use comfortably. The second point is that as much as every one says that the i devices just work, I get an awful lot of calls from average people asking my help with them.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to use myself as an example, (and it's not a bad one at all). I type poorly and always have, despite the best efforts of typing classes when I was young. I also appear to have fat fingers, I'm 67 years old and I have a condition called wet macula in my right eye, which causes a problem with focusing close up. When my customers ask for help on their iPhones, typically with E-Mail, I carry a fresnel lens, (kinda like a flat magnifying glass), in my back pocket so I can configure their phone. When I'm finished I REALLY can't see straight;)

I'm making 2 points here, the first being that Apple just doesn't make a phone large enough for me to use comfortably. The second point is that as much as every one says that the i devices just work, I get an awful lot of calls from average people asking my help with them.

I can't speak for your customers. But when i say just works back in ghe day it used to mean just that but now android has truly evolved to where newer android smartphones work well out of the box. But the iphone is easier to learn because there really isn't much to it. You slide to unlock then click on an icon. For the most part you can not do anything else unless it is jailbroken. Because of that it is easier for any one regardless of tech knowledge to pick up and be ready to go. Are there people who need help with their i products, sure i see people at best buy all the time asking about the basics from contacts to how to use itunes. But because the iphone is basically the same on all devices whether i have an ipod touch, iphone, or ipad i can learn or show someone else how to use another iproduct. That is not necessarily the case with android because jb is different than gb, not by much, but enough so that i can not just tell someone where to go in settings based on my device. And with carrier skins it adds for even more confusion for people not use to android. The other thing with android is that not all apps work. We see it all the time where a developer fixes a problem for one device and breaks it for another. This has improved a lot over the years as engineers have found away to improve on that. But we still see it from time to time.

Is apple devices perfect, by no means, i have seen them freeze and stutter as well. But apple does a better job controlling their product which allows them to limit fragmentation and keep devices on the same playing field software wise. That is the one area Google has yet to control, fragmentation. But with Google experience and nexus devices they are looking to try and change that at least for a select market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
@PC747 - I completely agree. I also run into the same types of problems supporting the various versions of Windows when trying to provide phone support while driving. ;)

I have one really big (long time) complaint with Google. When they originally began assembling standards, like the home button and the back button it's as if they didn't really expect it all to get as popular as it did, so they didn't go far enough. A really really great example is how to do a hardware factory device/data reset, I have been through that problem with tablets on another forum and it's very frustrating. They really could have made something like that a standard, among other things. The other issue is the number of devices that still use Froyo after all this time, (not really Google's fault on that one), but they have made a lot of, (major) changes over a relatively short period of time. So here again, that's both a good thing and a potrentially bad thing depending on who you talk to.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
*looks around for the OP*

:tongue:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe he ran out to grab a note 2.

KaChow

Reaction score
My bet is the OP already had the iphone when he made this good-bye post, lol! :p Now, he is trying to return it... :icon_ lala:

Reaction score
If you like for a phone to "own you" instead of YOU "owning your phone" then iPhone will be the right choice, if you are OK with horrible battery, non removable SD card, then..iPhone is for you!!!!!!, I've had all cell phones, Apples, berries and Droids, and all I can say is that by far, even after buying the S4 and returning it to go back to my note 2, It has been THE NOTE 2, no phone compares to it, performance, picture and the battery is the same or perhaps maybe one hour less than the MAXX...The note 3 its coming by September/October...Before you do that horrible transition, I would strongly suggest you to wait for the NOTE 3 to come out and test it and play with it, cause the only phone that could be better than the NOTE 2, definitely will be the NOTE 3....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you like for a phone to "own you" instead of YOU "owning your phone" then iPhone will be the right choice, if you are OK with horrible battery, non removable SD card, then..iPhone is for you!!!!!!, I've had all cell phones, Apples, berries and Droids, and all I can say is that by far, even after buying the S4 and returning it to go back to my note 2, It has been THE NOTE 2, no phone compares to it, performance, picture and the battery is the same or perhaps maybe one hour less than the MAXX...The note 3 its coming by September/October...Before you do that horrible transition, I would strongly suggest you to wait for the NOTE 3 to come out and test it and play with it, cause the only phone that could be better than the NOTE 2, definitely will be the NOTE 3....

Eh in waiting for the note 4 active Google experience edition with on screen buttons. Already have it special ordered. Now wether or not Sammy makes it is a different story.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
PC let's just get a fund together and when someone wants to leave Android we hand them a Note...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PC let's just get a fund together and when someone wants to leave Android we hand them a Note...

Nice idea but sounds much better said than done. No way i am giving anyone a note 2 because they want to leave android. I am more than happy to allow them to go to apple world. Whatever phone they are wanting to give up i will gladly take. Bk i would love to help out with your fund (ok no i wouldn't) but i have a note 4 active Google experience edition to save up for. :D