Done with Android

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX HD' started by dmbatcofc, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dmbatcofc

dmbatcofc New Member

Friends. I've had an Android device since the Droid I, and I've had enough. Every Android device I've owned is slow, laggy, choppy and just a buggy nightmare. It has been a fun ride with the Android community members, however, I'm jumping ship.
  2. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

-Good luck!

-The iPhone 4 is a pretty good deal right now on any carrier.

-And luckily the new iOS that's going to come out looks very similar to Android so your transition should be easier.
  3. debrad0307

debrad0307 New Member

Sorry about your experience. Although I can't blame it on Android. I have to put the blame on Motorola. I jumped ship and went to Samsung. Won't ever turn back.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk
  4. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

I took my first Android phone back to the store. 6 months later I decided I'd try again. A different phone made all the difference.
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Have you tried the note 2? This is arguably the best device i have owned. No lag at all. Only hiccup is when is install an app and when it is finished installing when scrolling it will hiccup for a split second as the app shows up in the app drawer. Other than that it is amazing. I owned apple products and all kinds of android devices. Note2 is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. bkdodger

bkdodger DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck.. We hope you make a wise choice for your next phone..

Noted 2x~4 beta
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with all of the above. Android has been and remains a work in progress, though it's gotten worlds better over the last two iterations (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean). Even still, some of the earlier versions were nice and clean and worked well. Most of what makes Android work poorly versus smoothly has to do with two main issues, bloat and memory. The earlier devices that had only 1GB of RAM would quickly fill up with program services (including those pre-installed) and begin to bog down. As you add your own apps to customize the unit (especially the poorly written ones), the remaining space gets smaller and smaller. Often the point where they start to become flaky is at about 200MB available. You must admit, fresh out of the box (or immediately after an FDR), they work like glass. Newer devices with more RAM, less bloat, and needless to say faster (and multiple core) processors have really resolved this issue.

I know that the Apple iPhone has a market perception of being free from lag, bugs, freezing, reboots, etc., but the truth is they do have their fair share of problems as well. What sets them apart is a combination of the tight grip that Apple has on the App Store and what is posted for download, along with the locked-down manufacturing of their own processor and supporting chips - all optimized to do exactly what Apple wants them to do an nothing more. They are in a very strict "closed track" with high crash-walls, whereas Android is more of a multi-terrain race, some on-road, some off-road...you can pimp the ride or you can strip it down to just a frame, wheels, chain and pedals.

There is no question that customization of the Android devices is way beyond what you can do with the iPhone, but there's certainly something to be said for doing only one job but doing it the best you can. I hope you find what you are looking for, but I wouldn't give up on Android so fast. It's coming into its own and with the multi-core processor devices out now, most sporting 2GB of RAM, you wouldn't likely be suffering any of the glitches you have in the past.

Otherwise, if you do go to the iPhone and decide that the restrictions placed on the customization are too tight for you, we'll be here for you when you return!

Good luck!

:biggrin:
  8. pc747

Good post Foxkat, the other trend I am liking (and hoping will continue) is the google experienced devices. You can buy a powerhouse of a phone like the s4 or Htc one with stock google. No bloat, not skins, just clean out of the box goodness. SO quad core devices with a lot of ram will perform even better with out all the unnecessary bells and whistles.
  9. debrad0307

debrad0307 New Member

I have to say... I love my S3 and even though I swore I was not going to the S4 I am now going to get one in august. I played around with one and fell in love with it. These Android devices are so much better than the other phones out there right now.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk
  10. KaChow

KaChow Guest

It's interesting there is a lot of truth to that statement, as Android is far from perfect. But at the same time it is hard to believe there is anything that is as good or better, what are the alternatives, Apple, Windows, Blackberry? I certainly do not think any of those phones are better. I truly hate to give into the greed that Apple is, and worse the controlled feeling. Windows I gave up on, and there really is no need to say to more than that. Blackberry had a good product it worked well, but it is hard to invest in something that is insecure.

Sure with my device I have the same laggy, choppy, buggy and slow of course nightmarish experience, which at the same time I do have some control over it. That is I can delete, freeze and remove some of the bloatware which is helpful. At the same time there are positives with my device that I visualize as bigger picture items, like the device construction, long battery life and call quality. At the same time I have had other devices HTC, and this Motorola on the Android platform, I'm not sold on the GS4, so I will be waiting longer. I do happen to have some reserves right now with Google in general and their Privacy Policies, so I too am looking as I keep my options open, just doesn't seem to be much else out there that can provide me with better capabilities and options that I have.
  11. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

The note 2 just doesn't lag lol, it's another than my gs4 (until I found the animation thing).

GS4/iPhone5
  12. leeshor

You want the truth, some people can't handle the truth. :icon_ lala: j/k

And a few people don't understand or want or need Android. I have a lot of customers who ask my help with their phones and tablets and litterally dozens of people who switched from Apple and never looked back, but 2 who switched from Android and both wished they didn't have to give Android up.
    Both cases of the customers who went from Android to Apple were because of apps. One was because an Apple, (owned), app called Garage Band was a must and there is nothing like it on Android. The other was because AT&T couldn't make their phone tracking software work on the Android phones the same as on the iPhone.

After watching how my customers use their tablets and phones I admit to having developed a bias toward Android. My job/business puts me in front of this conundrum daily. I'm not anti Apple as much as I am for freedom to do the things Android can do how and when you/I elect to do it.

Hail open source. ;)
  13. bkdodger

bkdodger DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Amen brother @leeshor....why have an apple a day ? when you can have all the fruits you desire!
  14. NOVICE

NOVICE Active Member

I certainly have no bias against Apple. I've owned pretty much every IPod manufactured, as well as, other miscellaneous devices including the Ipad.
    And the politics of closed systems bothers me not.

But there is nothing about the IPhone that I find superior to the Note 2--with the exception of app selection.

I changed android phones every 6 months until the Note 2. Thought they were all pretty good with the exception of the Galaxy Nexus which was seriously under powered with inferior radios.

My wife has the IPhone 5 which is great for her needs although I will never understand the allegation that IOS is easier to use--would it really have compromised the elegance of the system to have a dedicated "back" button. What's with that? That's my favorite button.

Bottom line is I personally can't go back to the micro screen favored by Jobs and Cook and my guess is that Apple will rue the day they substituted their judgment for a populace that desired greater screen real estate.
  15. KaChow

KaChow Guest

I agree with the "Hail to open source"... and I of course enjoy all the Linux distro options that are out there for my pc and available because of the free source for the most part. Sure I can see switching to an Apple for an app or two, but the lock-down is my concern~so I would live without the app. But, maybe I'm starting to looking at this another way as we certainly know that Google is a tremendous force of power and control when it comes to Android, perhaps I am just feeling paranoid but I am seeing more and more of my personal information being handed over to Google. I am starting to wonder how much is too much for Google to know? Of course I enjoy my device and what I do with it, but it seems like the more I use my device, the less privacy I have. Perhaps many reasons for the lag to begin with is from when I type my keyboard because Google is reading each letter I type. I guess while I say, "Hail to open source, I suppose Google is somewhat of a closed source, as it is retaining all of my information within a Google account, where Google further distributes my information. Not the idea I envisioned with what open source was...
  16. leeshor

The open source comment also applies to the hardware. That is becoming more and more important. It's about innovation, and competition.

Apple is doing everything they can to quash the competition.
  17. FoxKat

I'll agree with 95% of that what KaChow said but the 5% I disagree with is handing over my data to Google. You don't have to set up a Google account on the phone, and you don't have to use Gmail. You don't have to give Google access to your location, and you don't have to use Google + or Hangouts or Google play or Play Store or Google Phone or for that matter any of the Google based services. You don't have to use Google Navigation and you don't have to use Google Maps. You don't have to use Google Search and you don't have to use Google Cloud. You don't have to use Google Chrome and you don't have to use Google to store your contacts. You don't have to give Google access to your contacts list for other Google services. You don't even have to allow the pre-installed Google services (apps), to be enabled on the phone anymore...go to the app icon, drag it to the top, drop it. Then select app info. First choose to "Uninstall updates" if that is the choice, then after or otherwise choose "Disable", and the app goes away.

I think you get the point...and if you don't...in other words, you are OPTING IN on ALL of those things in order to use them because you WANT to use them. If they weren't superior in one form or another, you would use another service in replacement for them, but the truth is (IMHO), nothing beats Google Navigation, nothing beats Google Search, nothing beats Google Chrome, nothing beats Google Play (as compared to the other Android App Stores such as Amazon or the myriad of third party Android app sources), nothing beats Gmail for overall performance and simplicity, nothing beats Google in many fashions.

So, do I like that when I choose to use those Google services, that in some cases I am opting in to allow them access to personal and other data? Well, of course not. I am not a sheeple and I don't run with the herd. I don't drink the cool-aide (or the Apple juice, take your pick), I am not one who likes to be oppressed or suppressed or depressed, though I like to be impressed. Google has impressed me. Whenever and wherever I can, I opt out of allowing Google access to my data, but some of it just runs and works so much smoother if I do. In so many cases, Google has enhanced my life and made it more pleasurable, safer, faster, more colorful, exciting, and on and on, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

I suppose it comes down to comfort over privacy, and for the masses, they are willing to give up a certain level of privacy to obtain a certain level of comfort. A recent poll put the number at somewhere around 58% of people are willing to give up the right to the privacy of their cellular communications, in order to feel a certain level of increased security from terrorist activity (another thread), but the same metrics likely fit here, if not even a higher ratio. The reasons above are WHY many have stuck so closely to Apple and the iPhone phenomenon. Apple does many of the same things, which to the true Apple followers, though maybe less free than what we Android fans enjoy, but to those who haven't experienced the unleashing that takes place in Android, Apple is pretty comfy. It's certainly a large number of steps above a dumb phone and the range and breadth of accessories that are available for them take the user experience to a level that even us Android fans have yet to experience. I cringe every time I hear "iPhone compatible", or "iPhone Dock", or "iTunes ready", etc.

One thing they had going for them was the unified connector...location, size, number of pins, etc. It was the same across all models and all models fit all docks. The connections were ample for full remote control of the iPhone or iPod by the accessory, and so it just worked. The USB connection on our phones was first the Mini (a large failure), then the Micro (apparently seems to be as durable as they claim), but it's in different spots on all different model phones, even within the same manufacturer, so one phone STILL doesn't fit into another's dock. Then came Bluetooth to the rescue...or so it was supposed to. Incompatibility between the pure protocol and various iterations of hybrid versions to avoid licensing caused fragmentation similar to the MicroUSB. Apple almost went the same way with the introduction of the new smaller connector. Fortunately for them, an adapter seems to have been an acceptable solution. What I want to know is, what was so wrong with the earlier connector that it couldn't have continued in perpetuity? Was it really the SIZE>?

In a nutshell, fragmentation (or lack thereof), has been the boon or bust of Apple versus Android in many ways, and until one true standard emerges for Android (Bluetooth Smart?), which places its foot firmly on the iDock connector, I think Apple will have an edge and continue to reign as a power (maybe never to return to THE power, but certainly a top contender).
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  18. pc747

ANother good point foxkat, one area where apple wins is with accessories and it is because it is basically the same device every year. It is a choice you can either have open source, with choice in screen size (and other hardware options) which comes with fragmentation, different manufacturer software, with limited dedicated devices (ihome etc) or you can have a simple device that just works and allows for the selection of many available accessories.

I actually have no issue with apple in I have a mac book pro and I bought my grandmother an ipad which she loves because it works and it is easy to use. Let's face it. not every one wants to customize everything. Some people want to turn on their phones and be able to use it. They are happy with certain app icon being where they put it and staying at that same place for the life of the phone. This do not make them less smarter than a person who can tweak every little detail of their phone. Frankly some people have more things they would rather do with their time.

I guess I more have an issue with apple and how sue happy they are but in the end after all this so called litigation we still have android and it is still getting better. Google and android oems just found other ways to innovate and in doing so they further distinguished themselves from one another.

Take away the lawsuits and I am ok with the android-apple war. A strong apple makes a stronger android which is better for all.
  19. FoxKat

Excellent response. :hail:
  20. leeshor

I'm going to use myself as an example, (and it's not a bad one at all). I type poorly and always have, despite the best efforts of typing classes when I was young. I also appear to have fat fingers, I'm 67 years old and I have a condition called wet macula in my right eye, which causes a problem with focusing close up. When my customers ask for help on their iPhones, typically with E-Mail, I carry a fresnel lens, (kinda like a flat magnifying glass), in my back pocket so I can configure their phone. When I'm finished I REALLY can't see straight;)

I'm making 2 points here, the first being that Apple just doesn't make a phone large enough for me to use comfortably. The second point is that as much as every one says that the i devices just work, I get an awful lot of calls from average people asking my help with them.
Search tags for this page

delete android devices i've owned

droid dna idock

droid razr slow and glitchy freezing

how to remove hangouts on galaxy s4

i747 best rom

motorola bionic slow

motorola browser razr m remove chrome

remove chrome preinstalled bookmarks bionic

tf700

what are the essential pre-installed apps on the motorola ra