Dolphin update deals final blow!

hughesjr

Reaction score
xScope has become my default at the moment. I like the pin zoom feature that it has and way it handles tabs.

IF Fennac ever comes out, personally I've abandoned hope... they have been RIDICULOUSLY slow in development:mad:. It's been over a year since their first (pc based) beta/debugger was released and they done virtually nothing since....

Not true, they have made major progress.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Android

mozilla-droid: Changelog

Seriously??? THIS is your idea of "major progress?" they announced the project in mid '08... in mid '09 they released a VERY poor WM alpha and now (at least a full YEAR after they began) are still only at Alpha-2 for WM with basic sourcing for Android. If you have access to a WM phone check out Skyfire, that's an example of "major progress" in an acceptable amount of time (and YES, I know they started a year earlier but they made FAR MORE progress in their first year than Fennac will make in 2).

But that's my take, feel free to wait if you wish. I'm sure will all have Droid2's when they finally release a Android Beta:icon_ banana:. Just think how fast it will run.

Yes, it is major progress. They stopped working on it altogether until Google changed the requirements and allowed C compiled code to be used instead of only Java based apps. Firefox is a C and C++ based program, there is no way that it would ever be released as a java only app for phones. The restarted the process in about October and have made major progress.

However, the real issue in not releasing the browser is that it was that their current code base was not at all usable until Google's change in policy. So its not at all like you stated.

There has been major activity since October on this project.

Of course, if you don't like it or want to use it, then by all means don't.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I really don't understand the frenzy over Dolphin..maybe I should give it a chance. I go to YouTube videos of the Nexus to watch the browsing speed and speed test the stock browser to the Nexus and I am always on par...I highly doubt Dolphin renders or loads pages faster...but who knows.

This is one main reason why I am not going to get a Nexus when it comes to Verizon. I see no real advantage in web-browsing..I'd rather just wait a little longer until a truly superior device comes out. [Who knows maybe Windows Mobile 7 ;)]

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is major progress. They stopped working on it altogether until Google changed the requirements and allowed C compiled code to be used instead of only Java based apps. Firefox is a C and C++ based program, there is no way that it would ever be released as a java only app for phones. The restarted the process in about October and have made major progress.

However, the real issue in not releasing the browser is that it was that their current code base was not at all usable until Google's change in policy. So its not at all like you stated.

There has been major activity since October on this project.

Of course, if you don't like it or want to use it, then by all means don't.

And did they stop working on the WM version as well? It's been nearly a year since their first WM Alpha and it's STILL in Alpha (and a VERY unstable alpha at that). But even if we stick to the Android version considering they are using quite a bit of existing code from their other sources again, 6 months (as you said they started again in Oct.) is pretty slack, at least when compared to what they competitors have done.

Don't get me wrong I like Mozilla and have been a strong advocator for FF and Thunderbird for years. But Mozilla as a whole is becoming stagnate and taking far to long to make advances with their products (and if the latest release(s) of FF are any indicator they have likely reached their peak...).

clyons077

Reaction score
I really don't understand the frenzy over Dolphin..maybe I should give it a chance. I go to YouTube videos of the Nexus to watch the browsing speed and speed test the stock browser to the Nexus and I am always on par...I highly doubt Dolphin renders or loads pages faster...but who knows.

This is one main reason why I am not going to get a Nexus when it comes to Verizon. I see no real advantage in web-browsing..I'd rather just wait a little longer until a truly superior device comes out. [Who knows maybe Windows Mobile 7 ;)]

gmarks integration, pinch zooming, finger commands, etc...

Safetyman

Reaction score
Dolphin

I agree with Bill, I like the UI but it seems very slow compared to the stock browser....what gives?

:icon_evil:

johfiner

Reaction score
does the dolphin browser use the stock browser's rendering engine or is it completely new? i'm a bit skeptical of its ability to correctly interpret html... but i guess i should try it and find out for myself

Jeremy556

Reaction score
does the dolphin browser use the stock browser's rendering engine or is it completely new? i'm a bit skeptical of its ability to correctly interpret html... but i guess i should try it and find out for myself
Dolphin is just a wrapper for the default browser.

OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
I also do like the fact that it has settings, so you don't have to you P2Z if you don't want too. There is alot more customizable about this browser than the others. You can go to settings, and inable 3 different zooming methods. Two are one handed.
1st Pinch to Zoom
2nd + - zoom on screen
3rd and actually my fav if I am browsing in standard and not landscape is the hold option. It brings up 4 option tabs by your finger 2 of them are zoom in and out.

That is a great feature because it is a slower zooming in and out, so it is easy to not overjump your desired zoom setting. Some of the things that people are complaining about are in adjustments that can be made in the settings menu. I guess some just need to explore apps better.

I understand some not thinking the UI is good or something, which is a good reason for not likeing, to each his own, but if you haven't taken the time to explore the apps and trying to see if you can make the adjustments that you wish it has you shouldn't just say it can't do it.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
I agree all the way with first poster. I love dolphin browser and the new update is fantastic. Whoever thinks the latest update is bad should rethink their idea. Dolphin is a free app that lots of people use and has been updated and updated until we are happy. Not being happy now would insult them

eNonsense

Reaction score
What they all are missing is a stop button.

In dolphin you can quickly press the Menu button and draw an X (with the left points connected) in the gesture area.

With the dolphin browser when I pinch it zooms the page out. Is this correct I thought it should zoom in when you pinch?

It could make sense the other way, but you have to think about it like you're grabbing those 2 places on the page and physically moving them further apart from each other. Kinda like you're stretching or shrinking the page like a slab of silly putty with a newspaper comic pressed into it.

Last edited:

RLJSlick

Reaction score
I agree I wasn't that impressed the first time I used, it. It was choppy and the pinch zoom didn't impress. As far a Fennec, I will beleive that when I see it.