Dolphin update deals final blow!

PhontomF

Reaction score
With the dolphin browser when I pinch it zooms the page out. Is this correct I thought it should zoom in when you pinch?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like it, the new update is very fast and responsive on my droid. I just went to the menu and changed from android to desktop and I was able to FINALLY load nfl.com the real page not the wap.nfl.com (mobile page)....And it loaded it very fast. I am sold. I was about to dump dolphin for another browser because it seemed like every time I updated it got worse and started locking up my phone. I didnt think to check it out (the new update) until it was getting high praise on androidforums.

Last edited:

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Gestures ?

And is it working out that gestures work pretty much the same way ?

bllarkin

Reaction score
With the dolphin browser when I pinch it zooms the page out. Is this correct I thought it should zoom in when you pinch?

When you pinch (from fingers apart to fingers closed) it zooms out. When you go the other way, it zooms in.

I hope that makes sense.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the new update, very configurable, make sure you check out settings, like to get rid of gestures where you don't want them.

qoncept

Reaction score
I think a hot spot on the side of the screen that you could slide your finger up and down on to zoom makes a lot more sense than anything else they've done. You can control the brightness in Aldiko book reader that way.

Last edited:

LrdElderon

Reaction score
personally i've used almost all the browsers and my favorite is the new dolphin. It uses tabbed browsing the best im my opinion. I don't like how for instance the milestone browser or whatever has windows where you have to hit menu to see your windows (tabs) i like just seeing them like i can on my home computer on firefox. It also seems to render pages the fastest. xscope seemed slower then even stock for me and I also do not like the how they are trying to make it more then a browser. A browser does not need to have a to do list and task killer built into it.... it needs to be a browser.

Can't comment on opera mini, never used it and at the rate firefox fennec is being developed I don't think we'll see a release anytime soon if at all this year unless some miracle happens and the firefox devs actually do some work. It's been in alpha/beta for nokia and whatever that other system is for the last 1-2 years i think. I've seen nothing about an android version except they were thinking about it or something... *shrug*

it really just comes down to preference. some like pinch zoom some like double tap... whatever floats your boat. my choice is dolphin atm. If something comes out better and wows me ill switch.

hughesjr

Reaction score
xScope has become my default at the moment. I like the pin zoom feature that it has and way it handles tabs.

100% Dolphin but I'm looking forward to Fennec. Competition improves the bread. :icon_ banana:

IF Fennac ever comes out, personally I've abandoned hope... they have been RIDICULOUSLY slow in development:mad:. It's been over a year since their first (pc based) beta/debugger was released and they done virtually nothing since....

Not true, they have made major progress.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Android

http://hg.mozilla.org/users/vladimir_mozilla.com/mozilla-droid/log

Last edited:

Kobra

Reaction score
is there any browser that does both pinch zoom and double tap? that would be nice.
xScope does! It even does a one handed pin-zoom which is sweet. Heck I never understood what people see in Dolphin. Ok it has tabs. guess what xScope does too. The zoom on it was always so choppy and almost unbearable. I tried xScope one time and knew that was the browser for me. Heck the developer updates it about 2 times a week!.

I always wondered why so many liked Dolphin over stock or xScope, then i figured it out. Dolphin is free. I think you get what you pay for and for $2.99 xScope is a nice solid browser that is getting updates all the time to make it even better. No comparison IMO.

Last edited:

LrdElderon

Reaction score
is there any browser that does both pinch zoom and double tap? that would be nice.
xScope does! It even does a one handed pin-zoom which is sweet. Heck I never understood what people see in Dolphin. The zoom on it was always so choppy and almost unbearable. I tried xScope one time and knew that was the browser for me. Heck the developer updates it about 2 times a week!.

Different strokes for different folks. There really isn't any "best" that works for everyone and while it's nice that xscope dev updates regularly it also has a lot of garbage that shouldn't be in a browser to begin with... sooo just use what you like. Even stock hehe

LrdElderon

Reaction score
xScope has become my default at the moment. I like the pin zoom feature that it has and way it handles tabs.

100% Dolphin but I'm looking forward to Fennec. Competition improves the bread. :icon_ banana:

IF Fennac ever comes out, personally I've abandoned hope... they have been RIDICULOUSLY slow in development:mad:. It's been over a year since their first (pc based) beta/debugger was released and they done virtually nothing since....

mozilla-droid: Changelog

Well I'm glad they are at least working on it now, how long has android been out for now?..... I mean xscope and dolphin devs managed to get a browser that works out and the firefox team still doesn't have a really full usable browser. You have to compile from source according to the wiki and then manually install files for it to work afterward. who knows how well it actually can render anything or has zooming functions. maybe it's just because it uses a the gecko engine or whatever instead of webkit that i think all the other ones use, but still. I figure by now they'd have it in the market place already.

A high quality firefox browser on mobile devices especially android would be HUGE.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
xScope does! It even does a one handed pin-zoom which is sweet. Heck I never understood what people see in Dolphin. The zoom on it was always so choppy and almost unbearable. I tried xScope one time and knew that was the browser for me. Heck the developer updates it about 2 times a week!.

Different strokes for different folks. There really isn't any "best" that works for everyone and while it's nice that xscope dev updates regularly it also has a lot of garbage that shouldn't be in a browser to begin with... sooo just use what you like. Even stock hehe

Thats what make this device (along with the other android devices) unique. The user can customize and decide what is best. And the competition keeps the developers sharp. Unlike another phone :)iphone:), its safe to say no two phones are the same (except before you take it out of the box). Heck looking at te home screens people posts you can see how its customize to you.
Its all good, I already expressed my feelings for the dolphin browser, but if one has another browser they are down with then that is good also.

Last edited:

Kobra

Reaction score

And this "garbage" affects the browser how? It doesn't. Sluggish Choppy laggy Zoom that is what I would consider garbage. So I guess your right. To each his own.

Try it for yourself and you will see it this extra "garbage" you speak off doesn't have anything to do with the browsers performance loading pages and zooming in/out/and making tabs. I see it as a plus that it can do more than be a browser. you don't need an additional file manager program app or a task killer, and if you don't want to use those features then don't.

But your right about one thing Different Strokes as some people do like choppy zooming as long as it's free.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

mozilla-droid: Changelog

Seriously??? THIS is your idea of "major progress?" they announced the project in mid '08... in mid '09 they released a VERY poor WM alpha and now (at least a full YEAR after they began) are still only at Alpha-2 for WM with basic sourcing for Android. If you have access to a WM phone check out Skyfire, that's an example of "major progress" in an acceptable amount of time (and YES, I know they started a year earlier but they made FAR MORE progress in their first year than Fennac will make in 2).

But that's my take, feel free to wait if you wish. I'm sure will all have Droid2's when they finally release a Android Beta:icon_ banana:. Just think how fast it will run.

thistle

Reaction score
I always wondered why so many liked Dolphin over stock or xScope, then i figured it out. Dolphin is free. I think you get what you pay for and for $2.99 xScope is a nice solid browser that is getting updates all the time to make it even better. No comparison IMO.
I think xscope is superior in many ways except it's Chrome-like behavior. I don't use Chrome on my workstation and dislike it equally on my phone.