Dolphin Browser now with Multi-Touch

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
Here's a Tip:

If you plan on using multi-touch zoom, go Menu->Settings->System Settings and turn off "Auto-fit Pages"... That makes the pinch-zooming choppy and awkward, as it constantly tries to fit the text as you zoom in and out.

NvrEnough

Reaction score
It was OK, I uninstalled. I couldn't figure out how to save a pic on a website. With the default I would just hold my finger on the pic and it would bring up save image. Simple easy. I'm sure I didn't mess with dolphin long enough but the default suites me.

Samckaz

Reaction score
It was OK, I uninstalled. I couldn't figure out how to save a pic on a website. With the default I would just hold my finger on the pic and it would bring up save image. Simple easy. I'm sure I didn't mess with dolphin long enough but the default suites me.
Yes you can save images. Press and hold over the pic, a half circle popup will come up with +- image gesture. Slide your finger over the word 'image' and walla, a "save image" will show up.
The Dolphin browser has lots of hidden goodies

ice456789

Reaction score
I think the problem with their implementation of multi touch is that it is TOO sensitive. A small amount of pinching or spreading resulted in a huge amount of zoom. Using it for a little while you get used to it but still wish it made smaller increments of zoom.

I like that the double tap now hides/shows the address/tabs bar. That is useful to me. The speed seems on par with the default browser so far. I don't really care about the 'social' aspects of the browser at all.

Mayze

Reaction score
The pinch to zoom is cool for the first few time but it is too sensitive. I've had a few forced closes also. Hopefully they'll fine tune it some more.

samredman

Reaction score
I tried this... and while it has some good features.. it had that annoying gesture actions that you are prompted for.. where you create various motions on the screen to do certain actions. I didn't want to do that.. but it kept popping up a mask screen with a big yellow check mark on it.. the browser is just too "busy" with all the extra interface items. The standard browser is good... just needs "pinch and zoom."

Daywalker

Reaction score
Tried it, and it's not so good. The multi-touch zooming works, but it's not nearly precise enough to be useful. There seem to be discrete steps that the zoom locks to. Double-tap zoom doesn't seem to work. And randomly, when I flick up or down to quickly go up or down a page, it will zoom in or out.

Potential is there, but clearly not fully baked yet.

My double tap still works and the multi touch zoom is fine on mine as well.

I do like after the double tap screen is WHOLE screen covers battery and everything more I use it more I like it

Reaction score
We asked for it, and we got it! Although we got it, I am not entirely impressed. It is not 100% precise, nor is it very fast, it lags a little bit gehind the movement of my fingers. I am not throwing it under the bus though, you should definitily download this browser, I am jsut saying it will need some work to become as good as the pinch and zoom functionality of the soon to be extinct iPhone. (LOL!) :motdroidhoriz:

Update
I have been browsing the forum on my Droid with dophin for the past 30 minutes , and I have had a lot of force closes.

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I don't get all the salivating over multi-touch. Sure, it's a cool gimmick, but I'd rather do a quick, efficient double tap that works perfectly rather than using two fingers to "stretch" the screen. Seems a little more cumbersome to me. Of course, to each his own.

I think it's cool they got it working which proves the Droid is more than capable, but I'm with you. I've gotten used to the zoom buttons and double tap and to me, multi-touch is now more of a 'nice to have' feature than a 'must have' .

NBAJWill55

Reaction score
The Good:
You can change the browser ID to iPhone. (i.e. check out weather.com now - radar on main screen)
I can finally get a web page to the exact size I want in 1 second (without having to double tap, zoom out... zoom out again).
There are a few cool features this browser has that the stock one doesnt, like visible tabs, page view when switching windows, direct share with social networking sites, Google apps built in, and I even like the ability to switch windows/tabs with a full horizontal swipe!

The Bad:
Lags a bit. Works better with wi-fi.
Kinetic pinching and zooming is fail.
(Kinetic = when you let go of the screen after pinching, it continues to zoom (think - flick scrolling))

Last edited:

meh8036

Reaction score
i'll have to give it a shot cause i was so used to the pinch to zoom on my iPhone... its really one of the only things i miss about the thing

stdesign

Reaction score
When I saw the name 'Dolphin', I thought it was a file browser (ala Linux). But I'd just about given up on a Firefox-esque browser for my mobile device, so this is worth a try for me. Thanks for the heads-up.

searayman

Reaction score
Works pretty well, glad to see it.

I kinda like the browser too but my biggest complaint about it is it's UI is a bit cluttered and ugly.

Is there a skin or something makes the buttons more high res or a way to just hide the tab bar?

yea biggest problem is it is super ugly