Doid crawls immediately after uploading contacts

ptrowe

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So I have the Verizon Store bring in all of my contacts from my Blackberry Curve and they put it on the SD card. When the guy hit the IMPORT button, it took like 15 minutes to load all 2,850 contacts. After that was complete, the Droid now CRAWLS, as in, it's SLOW AS HELL.

Does anyone know how to fix this since it's been the bain of my existence since I first bought the phone about a month ago.

Thank you in advance,
-Paul

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you still have your BB? If so, export the contacts from your BB to a .csv file then upload it to your Gmail account. There's no reason for your contacts to be stored on the SD card... Google stores them for you.

Your phone is probably slow since it has to reference the SD card constantly to keep your contacts sync'd. This is an error on the reps part.

OP
P

ptrowe

Reaction score
Hey Martin, thank you for much for that. I went to gmail.com and looked at all my contacts, and it looks like they're all up there on the net. How do you suggest I proceed from here?

Thank you so much,
-Paul

OP
P

ptrowe

Reaction score
So the Droid will automatically hit the cloud when I tap my Contacts button? Hmnm..you'd think that would be slower than an SD card.

How do I go about getting them off my SD card, do you know? I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about the Droid. I actually work in computers but have had literally no time to just play with the device like I should.

-Paul

atlharry

Reaction score
So I'm actually thinking that 2,850 contacts is just too many darn contacts... Do you really use all of them? I mean, if you do, there's not much we can do about that. Can you separate some of the ones that you don't use into some kind of archive? Remember that the phone is constantly trying to sync them and that's a lot of processing power as well as data travelling back and forth to the cloud. In fact, if we COULD store contacts on the SD card, that may actually help in your case (unfortunately, that's not possible). It's also trying to join all of these contacts to facebook friends if you have an account... so more processing power...

I used to have about 1,500 contacts but ended up paring it down to about 300 just because navigating through them was such a pain in the butt. I keep them in a folder in Outlook just in case I need to bring them up.

Just an idea.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did the VZW rep by chance happen to install Task Killer on your device? If so delete it. Also any anti-virus apps will slow your Droid down. They are not needed, as there are no confirmed viruses for Android.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, have you done much with your phone? since you've introduced your contacts to your cloud, i'd recommend doing a factory reset so that you can start clean and fresh and not from what a vzw employee might have done to "enhance" your experience.

OP
P

ptrowe

Reaction score
Hey guys...thank you so much for the advice.

@Martin - The VZW guy didn't install Task Killer but I did myself. I find it useful when the phone starts to crawl. If I uninstall this app, it means I'll have to go in to "settings" and close each app one at a time. Is that what you're suggesting here?

@640 - I think that's a good idea. The Motorola rep actually suggested I do that last night but was afraid to since I've downloaded so many apps. What do I do about the ones I paid for, will I have to pay again?

Thank you so much you guys!!!
-Paul

Silver Member
Reaction score
you will NOT have to pay again.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys...thank you so much for the advice.

@Martin - The VZW guy didn't install Task Killer but I did myself. I find it useful when the phone starts to crawl. If I uninstall this app, it means I'll have to go in to "settings" and close each app one at a time. Is that what you're suggesting here?

@640 - I think that's a good idea. The Motorola rep actually suggested I do that last night but was afraid to since I've downloaded so many apps. What do I do about the ones I paid for, will I have to pay again?

Thank you so much you guys!!!
-Paul
Do the factory reset as 640k suggested. All your apps will come back.
If you do keep Task Killer installed, just disable the 'auto' function. I don't believe you need them, and they can cause issues, but the likely hood of an issue is far less if you only use ATK to manually kill apps, don't let it kill apps in the background... or it will affect your Droid negatively.

Some people keep the ATK because, as you mentioned, it's a lengthier process to access the applications to kill one versus using ATK.