Doesn't the qhd screen scare anyone?

Reaction score
Ahhhh PENTILE!!!! The armpit of mobile displays.... Cant wait till the audiophiles get their hands on the phone and be like "wtf bro...no dolby digital cert? No eq so I can tune my sound in while watching netflix?" Ill pass for the next phone....lol people make a big deal over something that really isnt noticable to most people until you make a gripe about it.

DoctorV

Reaction score
Ahhhh PENTILE!!!! The armpit of mobile displays.... Cant wait till the audiophiles get their hands on the phone and be like "wtf bro...no dolby digital cert? No eq so I can tune my sound in while watching netflix?" Ill pass for the next phone....lol people make a big deal over something that really isnt noticable to most people until you make a gripe about it.

LOL! QFT my friend! :)

wseyller

Reaction score
Here is one example of an qHD display. The X2 I saw was clear and sharp. It was just the mesh look that didn't make me thrilled.

sensation_vs_gsii_qhd_vs_wvga_sg_2.jpg

another example from a Droid X2

gridlines1_thumb.jpg

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As you can see from the posts in this thread and many threads like this.....one mans trash is another mans treasure...lol Even going back to the Amoled vs. LCD threads from last year.....

Its all a matter of preference.

Things look smaller on the X2 cuz of the higher resolution. Like changing the resolution on a PC monitor. The higher it goes, the smaller things get.

I went to the Verizon store a while back and compared the X2 and Charge. Yes I can notice a difference. Yes the Charges screen looks awesome. Yes I can notice the jaggies with the QHD display when I really stare at it but man I think a lot of people are really being overly dramatic about it. I don't see how it would be that big of a deal breaker especially if someone would choose a Droid Charge and lose a dual core processor to gain a better screen.

You would think by the reactions that their eyes are being melted by radiation :)

You make a good point. Also Amoled screens are still seen to be " too vibrant" (over saturated) to some ppl. So whatever screen technology you like, there are trade offs. Each has its pros n cons. Just like in the Amoled vs. LCD debates from last year.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score
After Anandtech finally put up their review of the X2, I'm kind of laughing at all of the people who claimed the screen was "pathetic."

X2-2338_575px.jpg

X2 left; X right.

Hey, maybe the X2's display isn't as good as the Galaxy S2 or the Sensations SLCD display, but it isn't pathetic. It's also not the same pentile display as the prior pentile display phones.

Brandon

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
After Anandtech finally put up their review of the X2, I'm kind of laughing at all of the people who claimed the screen was "pathetic."

X2-2338_575px.jpg

X2 left; X right.

Hey, maybe the X2's display isn't as good as the Galaxy S2 or the Sensations SLCD display, but it isn't pathetic. It's also not the same pentile display as the prior pentile display phones.

Brandon

The X2's display looks better...
I wouldn't mind if the bionic had that.

Reaction score
Here is one example of an qHD display. The X2 I saw was clear and sharp. It was just the mesh look that didn't make me thrilled.

sensation_vs_gsii_qhd_vs_wvga_sg_2.jpg

another example from a Droid X2

gridlines1_thumb.jpg

I dunt macro my eyes to the display when using so ill be good :)

bplewis24

Reaction score

X2 left; X right.

Brandon

The X2's display looks better...
I wouldn't mind if the bionic had that.

Yeah the X2 is definitely better, especially if you look at the full-resolution photo. The one I posted is compressed too much: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4483/X2-2338.jpg

Brandon

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Brandon

Thank you for this post. A lil something form the article ppl need to pay attention to:

The only place you can still dramatically tell that this is PenTile is either by looking at regions that are solid green, or red. At green in particular, you can see a bit of that grain from the subpixel structure - green is most visible because visual acuity peaks in the green. Red is also sometimes also shows a bit of that telltale grain, but nothing too dramatic. Human visual acuity isn’t very good for blue, so that looks pretty homogeneous.
Droid X1:

X2-2137_575px.jpg

Droid X2:

X2-2143_575px.jpg

See before...EVERYONE was focusing on the green battery symbol, and that one pic in the Droid X2 thread had a green background with text on it. But look at the numbers, look at the wifi symbol, both of the 'c', etc. And also remember these pics are waaay larger than how you will see it on your phone. You may notice it, you may not.

Like in the Amoled vs. LCD debates...it will be a matter of preference. If you're not sure, just look at in stores before you buy it. Or get it sight unseen. I can guarantee you will know if you like it or not within an hour of messing around with your phone. If you dont like it, take it back.

Off topic...I tried to tell someone on another forum battery life is a staple of Motorola phones right now. I dont know what Motorola does and some other manufactures dont, but for battery life and reception....Motorola will remain favorite of mine.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score
Thank you for this post. A lil something form the article ppl need to pay attention to:

The only place you can still dramatically tell that this is PenTile is either by looking at regions that are solid green, or red. At green in particular, you can see a bit of that grain from the subpixel structure - green is most visible because visual acuity peaks in the green. Red is also sometimes also shows a bit of that telltale grain, but nothing too dramatic. Human visual acuity isn’t very good for blue, so that looks pretty homogeneous.

See before...EVERYONE was focusing on the green battery symbol, and that one pic in the Droid X2 thread had a green background with text on it. But look at the numbers, look at the wifi symbol, both of the 'c', etc.

Like in the Amoled vs. LCD debates...it will be a matter of preference. If you're not sure, just look at in stores before you buy it. Or get it sight unseen. I can guarantee you will know if you like it or not within an hour of messing around with your phone. If you dont like it, take it back.

Off topic...I tried to tell someone on another forum battery life is a staple of Motorola phones right now. I dont know what Motorola does and some other manufactures dont, but for battery life and reception....Motorola will remain favorite of mine.

That's why Anandtech is the best review site: they focus on the quantifiable objectives and try to explain why things work or look differently.

They also illustrated how much brighter the screen is while still conserving battery power, which shows up well outdoors in the sunlight. Since I do a lot of golfing and keep score on my phone, this is important to me. If the Bionic is this form of Pentile (RGBW), I can be happy with it. If it was Super-LCD, even better!

Brandon

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
I highly advise anyone considering the bionic to look at it in store first. The screen on my x2 was very bright, great color and resolution, text was very clear, but it was very pixelated.

I noticed it during every day use on many colors, not just the battery icon. Take a look at the twitter icon, or music icon on an x2. It looks awful. Watch netflix or youtube side by side with a different phone. The x2 just looks fuzzy and not as nice

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Oxymoron

Reaction score
I'll have to see the screen to make a judgement. The technology of it doesn't matter to me... what counts is what it actually looks like. Very simple... if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I won't.

I planned to go to a VZW store yesterday and check out the DX2 screen for a bit of reference (even if the Bionic's screen may differ). Unfortunately, it started to storm and the hard top for my Jeep is in another zipcode... so I had to tarp it and got stranded home.

The screen IS important to me. I am a photography enthusiast, and I want the screen to be able to display the photos with as much accuracy as possible. My D1 is great for that.

Too bad the Bionic doesn't have the retina display like the iPhone. That is the only thing that I envy about that phone. The display is absolutely beautiful.

Anyway... /rambling

*customized tapatalk signature*

zwegan

Reaction score
I have a thunderbolt and my wife had an X2.

The screen on the X2 looks HORRIBLE compared to both the bolt and the charge.

Hell, even our old D1's screens looked nicer than the X2.

She ended up returning the X2 in the 14 day window and getting a thunderbolt.

Hopefully the bionic's screen looks better, because it's a shame for an awesome phone like the X2 to look so horrible.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score
It's time to unsubscribe from a thread when people can say it looks horrible despite pics, reviews and vids in the thread showing otherwise.