Does Your Multimedia Dock Charge your Droid?

nfofreako

Reaction score
I bought a moto dock on ebay and have it on my work machine.

It seems to lose charge during the day, even while in sleep mode 95% of the time.

Yet, if I plug the USB plug into the droid directly, without the dock, it clearly says CHARGING.

??

-nfo

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I have 3. 2 connected to 2 different computers (laptop and desktop) and one to the wall. All charge my Droid.

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. don't use your PC to charge. there's no reason to be tethered to a PC unless you're sharing internet.

2. mke sure your DROID is completely flush with the bottom of the resting slot. if your DROID is in a case, this will not be possible. even though the multimedia dock shows up, doesn't mean you're completely in.

3. it IS possible you have a defective dock. make sure all of your connections are secure and try again.

Silver Member
Reaction score
The battery icon on the notification bar should flash slowly if it's charging.
the battery icon in the notification bar should have a lightning bolt and an animation of a battery filling up until the lightning bolt disappears, indicating a full charge.

the battery icon should NOT simply flash.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
It switches to DOCK mode because of a magnet in the cradle, not the charge.

My wall plug fell out one day behind my bed without me realizing, and my droid still went to dock screen but never charged. That's how I figured it out. Make sure the dock's still plugged in, and the connections are tight.

Erich_F

Reaction score
All good info. I just wanted to add that you can keep the dock plugged into your PC through a powered hub. This is how my setup works. I have the DOCK USB plugged into a POWERED USB 4-port hub. This ensures enough voltage to both charge the battery and operate the phone. Most PC and especially laptop USB ports are not designed to give enough current to charge and operate a smartphone. What you may have gotten away with on a dumbphone doesn't always apply to smartphones.

I found recently, while on a work trip without my powered hub, that the USB ports on my HP laptop would not always keep up with my Droid if the battery was low and taking a lot of current to recharge. At first I thought my Dock was messed up, since the port kept tripping on and off continuously.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^ the biggest issue with charging via USB is the 500mAh vs. The 1100mAh you get from plugging it into the wall. If a powered USB hub resolves this issue, thats fantastic and great news.

MJ5150

Reaction score
2. mke sure your DROID is completely flush with the bottom of the resting slot. if your DROID is in a case, this will not be possible. even though the multimedia dock shows up, doesn't mean you're completely in.

Yep, I have found this to be true.

I checked my docking station, and it does charge my Droid when properly seated.

-Mike