Does your Droid make weird clicking sounds when starting the camera app?

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Mine makes around 4-5 clicking sounds that seem to come from within the phone every time I start the camera app, and it almost sounds like it's not meant to be there. Just wondering if anyone else's does this?

justbob

Reaction score
Mine does that too. It's most likely the lens focusing mechanism calibrating itself.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine makes noises. I don't think they sound out of the ordinary though, I believe it's just part of the OS.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mine makes noises. I don't think they sound out of the ordinary though, I believe it's just part of the OS.

Same here....sounds as if the lens is adjusting...

ice456789

Reaction score
I have a little background in photography so call this an educated guess.

When you turn on your point and shoot camera, the first thing that happens is the lens extends out of the front. That's essentially what I think the Droid is doing. When you're not using the camera, the lenses are packed up so they will be safe as your phone gets bounced around in your pocket. When you turn the camera on, the lenses are moved out of their 'safe' position into the correct position for photography. That's probably the noise we're hearing.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is the lens "parking" (for lack of a better term) and completely normal.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I thought you guys must be crazy -- my phone has never made any kind of noise when I activated the camera. So just to prove that I was right, I placed my ear right next to the camera lens and turned on the camera. LOL -- I could hear it moving around! So, I guess it is a normal thing, then? Definitely sounded like a camera lens "un-parking" itself. Weird that I've never heard it 'till I deliberately listened for it.