Does your compass work in ICS?

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Since installing ICS, it seems like my compass (Orientation sensor) registers no value.

For example, when I open google maps, my location is just a circle. On GB, it would be an arrow that would turn as I turned the phone to reflect what direction the phone was pointing in.

In the app AndroSensor, the Orientation sensor just says "Waiting for Event" when it used to show values in GB.

Anyone else having this problem?

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with maps: just a circle, not the arrow head. I think that's a google maps issue, not phone. I have a compass app on my phone and it works just fine.
I also checked the app GPS status and it shows the correct compass setting on the phone as well.

Last edited:

William_04_x

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the magnetic field sensors are used for the compass, and the internal gyros are used to determine orientation.

I've had problems with compass apps before and after ICS. If you search, there are some posts that suggest using a magnet to "free" the mag sensor.

As far as that's concerned, sometimes my compass works, and mag sensor gives feedback(AndroSensor). My orientation doesn't always report back, but auto rotate always works, so something knows the phone's being turned around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

OP
T

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with maps: just a circle, not the arrow head. I think that's a google maps issue, not phone. I have a compass app on my phone and it works just fine.
I also checked the app GPS status and it shows the correct compass setting on the phone as well.

I tried the compass app...and if i position myself pointing east (according to the app), and move only 90 degrees, it shows west. So that's not right. Hmmm...