Does Wi-Fi or 3G Use More Battery?

WinstonSmith

Reaction score
I am sure this is somewhere, but I can't find it...

I used to always think that Wi-Fi used more battery than 3G (I know LTE uses the most.) However, a co-worker was telling me that he's read in multiple sources that Wi-Fi would conserve more battery than keeping phone on 3G.

Is there a "right" answer?

Thanks!

OP
W

WinstonSmith

Reaction score
Well, I've been an idiot all along, then. I have always kept my phone OG Droid, Bionic, and now GNex on 3G (and then LTE when I wanted to use it) and shunned ever using Wi-Fi because I thought it drained the battery. So, you're telling me all these years I've been killing my battery?

Heck, I can connect to secure Wi-Fi at work all day, and home wi-fi and only use 3G when traveling, etc. Wow.

Anything else I should know about Wi-Fi/3G for batter life?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
You most likely won't see huge differences in battery depending on how much you use it and how many things you have updating but as a general rule through out the course of a day you will get overall better life when connected to a WiFi source...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You should know that majority of the time that Wifi is usually faster than 3g:p

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Also, using wifi (non-tethered) doesn't count against your data usage. But since you're coming from the OG, I assume you're unlimited anyway.

jmcdonald

Reaction score
WiFi uses more battery in one second than the 3g radio does in one second. But since WiFi is faster it can generally get tasks done quicker overall than 3g thus using less battery.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Signal strength is a huge factor. If you have monster signal 3g is pretty battery friendly, may actually be more efficient, but the weaker the signal the more battery is used trying to grab a better signal or hang on for dear life to the weak one you've already got.
Wifi on the other hand has a constant rate of power being used.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post