Does Voice Dial Suck or What?

billyk

Reaction score
I can't seem to get the native Google search to reliably make calls via voice with either 2.01 or 2.1. Is there a trick to this???

Last edited:

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Are you using Voice Dial or Google Search? Google Search works much better for me.

I also use Google Gesture Search (in the market) because I normally have a lot of background noise and spoken searches don't work well with the noise.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Word, I haven't tried using it in over a month but I would go f-ing crazy trying to call anyone using that voicedial app. But I haven't seen many complaints about it. Maybe the software learns over time? Very weird. Dictating text into any text area works really well for me though!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
The Voice Dial app just doesn't work for me. I was referring to the Google Search (long press on the hard button). Sometimes, it'll work - it dials perfectly. Other times it'll just produce a list of results. Other times it just doesn't know what to do.

I know not to voice dial in noisy locations, I talk clearly (I have no regional accent) and at a moderate tempo, and I say the proper command "Call Tom Smith, mobile" (when Tom Smith is the exact entry in Google Contacts).

Any advice? Any luck with 3rd party voice dial apps? I guess I have to investigate those, as voice dialing is really important to me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Voice Dial app just doesn't work for me. I was referring to the Google Search (long press on the hard button). Sometimes, it'll work - it dials perfectly. Other times it'll just produce a list of results. Other times it just doesn't know what to do.

I know not to voice dial in noisy locations, I talk clearly (I have no regional accent) and at a moderate tempo, and I say the proper command "Call Tom Smith, mobile" (when Tom Smith is the exact entry in Google Contacts).

Any advice? Any luck with 3rd party voice dial apps? I guess I have to investigate those, as voice dialing is really important to me.

Using Voice Search on the phone is disastrous. But using the search button/microphone and saying "call home' or whatever seems to work great for me.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks Bill. But I am a little confused. Doesn't:

- A long press on the hard search button
- A short press on the hard search button, then a press on the Mic
- Pressing the Mic on the "Google Search" widget
- Pressing "Voice Search"

... all get you to the same Google "Speak Now" search dialog box with the same functional (or dysfunctional!) behavior?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

... all get you to the same Google "Speak Now" search dialog box with the same functional (or dysfunctional!) behavior?

Yes, it does. But if you go into contacts/menu/button/search you will see a microphone pop up on the keyboard. This is just for searching contacts and that's what I was referring to. Now that one never even comes close. Or if you go to the phone and then press the hard search key you will see it says search contacts. Same thing, doesn't work.

I'm saying just do it from the home screen. I'm pretty sure your correct about the widget, I don't use that anymore but I do thing that goes to the regular search.

Anyway my recommendation is hard button search, microphone on screen, say the person or business name, and it will find it for you.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Voice Dial is within the phone... Search uses the network... I find the network works better.

nogodiggydie

Reaction score
I agree that the voice dial really sucks bad, but the Google voice search works surprisingly well. I use it all the time for navigation.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Voice dialing using Google's voice search commands has always worked flawlessly for me. (Long press on search soft button/Mic button on Google search widget).

iron ghost

Reaction score
the Voice Dialer only seems to work right about 1 out of 10 times I try using it. I usually end up getting frustrated and yelling at the damned thing. CALL DAD CELL!!! YOU (*@#&@(*#&$!!!!!

:mad:

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Voice Dialer stinks. I love the Voice Search on the Droid. I actually have it on my home screen. I find that a bit quicker than the long press, and convenient when driving. It's so accurate it practically functions like Bluetooth to dial contacts.

slinky

Reaction score
Voice Search is mediocre at best. I never had a problem with my iPhone in this regard, which also repeated the name so I knew how the phone needed to hear the pronunciation to work. That part wasn't what I liked (going right to the dial is best.) But at least it found the right contact and dialed. It is frequently difficult even with Voice Search, which will find several contacts and put them on the screen for you to press each time.

Voice Dial is beyond pathetic. Can't understand why they released it. Voice Search will not differentiate between "Dan Jones" and "Sam Jones" no matter how much I will try to differentiate them giving you one example. And when I say "on mobile" or just "mobile" I'll still get every phone of both contacts, even home and work as the choices. It needs improvement... a lot of improvement.

J

Johnly

idk, voice search could be improved, but I am getting by with it. I just try not to drink a 24 pack before initiating it! LOL! j/k