Does Verizon Push Updates of Android

CalebSandfort

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking into getting a HTC Incredible with Verizon. I know that the Incredible ships with Android 2.1, but that 2.2 has recently been released. Will 2.2 eventually be pushed out to the Incredible, along with subsequent updates to Android?

Thanks

eliassami5

Reaction score
The Incredible is an HTC device, that means HTC tells you when and if they will be giving you an update. Verizon cant tell HTC to update their phones. The problem with HTC phones versus stock android devices like the DROID, is that when google puts out an update, HTC's developers have to go through the whole update and make many changes so that it is compatible with their HTC Sense "skin". This means that you will have to wait much longer to get updates than a stock android phone would.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
It's up to HTC to build a version of 2.2 with the Sense UI that fits the Incredible. I believe HTC confirmed that all of their latest devices would be getting an Android 2.2 update at some point in time. Once HTC has it done, Verizon will test it and then roll it out when they complete testing. It's anybody's guess as to when the update will come out though.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
The problem with HTC phones versus stock android devices like the DROID, is that when google puts out an update, HTC's developers have to go through the whole update and make many changes so that it is compatible with their HTC Sense "skin". This means that you will have to wait much longer to get updates than a stock android phone would.

It doesn't necessarily mean it will take much longer than a stock Android phone. The only phone that gets immediate release of the new versions is the Nexus One because Google is in complete control. I wouldn't say 2.1 updates for the Droid Eris were significantly behind the Moto Droid all things considered.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem with HTC phones versus stock android devices like the DROID, is that when google puts out an update, HTC's developers have to go through the whole update and make many changes so that it is compatible with their HTC Sense "skin". This means that you will have to wait much longer to get updates than a stock android phone would.

It doesn't necessarily mean it will take much longer than a stock Android phone. The only phone that gets immediate release of the new versions is the Nexus One because Google is in complete control. I wouldn't say 2.1 updates for the Droid Eris were significantly behind the Moto Droid all things considered.

No, I wouldn't either and I think that you'll see the Incredible get it very shortly after the Droid does. They have announced it will be delivered to the Incredible. Now pardon me while I move this to The Incredible General Discussion where it belongs. :)

OP
C

CalebSandfort

Reaction score

No, I wouldn't either and I think that you'll see the Incredible get it very shortly after the Droid does. They have announced it will be delivered to the Incredible. Now pardon me while I move this to The Incredible General Discussion where it belongs. :)

Sorry about that...New to the forums, didn't know there was one dedicated to the Incredible...Thanks for all the helpful info.

kmo

Reaction score
This will not be an update that HTC or VZW will hold back on. With all the new devices slated to arrive on the market this summer I have no doubt we will see it soon. I'm sure they want to keep the most recent phone releases current to be competitive in the market place. 2.2 is already rolling out to N1 and the other Android phones made this year (2010) have already been mentioned in various web articles re: Froyo 2.2 and receiving the update. IMO it will happen sooner not later. What possible reason would HTC have to hold out on this update after all the hype has been put out there to the media already....and no way will Sense UI hold this up, like some seem to think. I don't know anymore than the next exactly when but I'll bet $$$$ it will be relatively soon.