Does Verizon know if you are tethering with a third party app?

rtb

Reaction score
I used PDAnet a few times this past month just to check email and do a little browsing. I had an extra $12 data charge on my bill this month. I called and inquired about it but they told me they didn't know what it was for and waived the fee. Can they tell if you tether even if it's only a little bit? Anyone else getting these unknown data charges from Verizon?

wyld

Reaction score
They can see a spike in your data usage

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I use wireless tether and barnacle every other day to stream hulu and netflix and never had any issues with verizon.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some appas yes others no and I think that is why they are going to a tiered data plan so they no longer have to try to go after the data hogs.

wyld

Reaction score
Yes but vzw also can see that other carriers are now offering tethering and wi-fi hot spot included in there unlimited plans. never know what could change

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've used PdaNet for the past 18 months with no issues nor extra charges. Granted, I don't view movies or tv shows, and together with my daughter's phone on the plan we use about 2gb of data per month.

As a matter of fact, I'm at work and tethered with PdaNet right now.:icon_eek:

OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
I just wonder how many of these data charges go unnoticed and are paid
by the unsuspecting customer? Verizon is probably making a killing!

C

cdexsw

i use the gps feature all the time as well as streaming media with my dx. i travel alot......

my data usage is over 4gb and some months over 7gb. and that is phone only...no tether.

so please describe what an increase in data usage would be...if tethering?

some might think this is high....but for the the 275day a year working traveler working coast to coast this is the norm...

Last edited by a moderator:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
i use the gps feature all the time as well as streaming media with my dx.

my data usage is over 4gb and some months over 7gb. and that is phone only...no tether.

Easy, some of the members on here have bragged about using 40gb to 60gb and more per month using tethering for a landline replacement, downloading Torrents, playing XBox 360 and PS3. I would say that qualifies as a data spike, wouldn't you?

C

cdexsw

Easy, some of the members on here have bragged about using 40gb to 60gb and more per month using tethering for a landline replacement, downloading Torrents, playing XBox 360 and PS3. I would say that qualifies as a data spike, wouldn't you?

ok, that would qualify......

i think a spike would be anything over 15gb. i had 13gb one month. all phone data....movies and music..misc work apps.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

ok, that would qualify......

i think a spike would be anything over 15gb. i had 13gb one month. all phone data....movies and music..misc work apps.

I agree that 15gb would be a realistic breaking point. Those that are doing stupid amounts of tethering are the ones bringing the tiered system into play at an accelerated pace for the rest of us.

jimmypop13

Reaction score
I upgraded to the newest version of pdanet last week and it had a new feature to hide tethering. I made sure to enable it. I guess that could mean yes to the OP.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I upgraded to the newest version of pdanet last week and it had a new feature to hide tethering. I made sure to enable it. I guess that could mean yes to the OP.

It may be possible to hide it, but unless they are actually hiding the amount of data travelling through the phone, the data spikes can still show up.

OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
I'm talking about just checking email and normal web browsing. Not downloading movies or anything like that.