Does Verizon charge for Wi-Fi?

jmontf

Reaction score
I was wondering if Verizon still charges you for data usage if you use your home wi-fi network or any other type of wi-fi. Does sending and receiving pictures and videos also count as a data usage charge?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How in the world could Verizon charge you for using your own home network or any other wifi?

No, they only charge you for using their data. But to just use wifi and not use Verizons data as well you'd be limiting the use of your phone. For one thing, the phone wouldn't be able to make calls.

And you can't get a Droid from Verizon without a data plan.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

lol wifi is free for any device.

And for future reference, if you get a new phone and deactivate your droid, the wifi will still work. Everything not needing data will work (browser will work with wifi though)
:)

billyidle

Reaction score
Your phone can use data over wifi just fine dezy, only calls and texts would stop without a plan

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Connecting your phone to a pre-existing WiFi network = free.

Using your phone to create a WiFi network = not free.

I hope this answers your question. :D

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does sending and receiving pictures and videos also count as a data usage charge?
Only if you're on a limited data plan and exceed your limit. Keep in mind that MMS messages count as text messages (not data).

tytdroid3

Reaction score
hi

So we can go on youtube and our data wont be charged if we se wifi

Caren4u2

Reaction score
Why would you want to put your phone in airplane mode :hen activate wifi? Is that to be extra cautious? Wondering...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
But to just use wifi and not use Verizons data as well you'd be limiting the use of your phone. For one thing, the phone wouldn't be able to make calls.

And you can't get a Droid from Verizon without a data plan.

I beg to differ on both counts.

First, you can buy any phone from Verizon at full price and you are not required to purchase a data plan or activate that phone on a data plan. You can also purchase one used but that wasn't addressed in your comments.

Second, if you use WIFI as your only method of data connection, you still can have phone service without a cellular service plan. Skype is probably the most well known, but there are others. Some are free, some cost either a one time charge or a low monthly fee, some charge per call minute, and some even provide a phone number for incoming calls from land lines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited: