1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Does This Make Sense?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by nooter99, May 23, 2010.

1. nooter99

nooter99 New Member

I have no knowledge of the technology that is used for the display screen of the Droid, but assuming that the display is typically a significant battery drain, would it make sense that if your wallpaper was solid black, therefore emitting no light, the battery life could be increased? I just changed mine to black today, so I'll see if I notice any difference over the next few days. BTW, I'm liking the look of the solid black background!
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

In theory, black means the LEDs are off, but unless you spend hours and hours a day looking at your home screen, then I cant imagine a significant difference in battery life....
  3. starscream

starscream Decepticon Premium Member

not necessarily. the Droid screen is back lit.. so even when showing a "black pigment" the screen is using power.. it may be less when compared to a bright white screen but probably not a significant amount
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Good call, brain fart. I still think the theory is sound, but not terribly useful.
  5. bacalao

bacalao New Member

Yup, screen is LCD, the whole screen is back lit entire time its on, darkness comes when the liquid crystals are activated to block the light. So same amount of juice...
  6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Yup. Take a look at the screen in the dark and you can verify that the entire screen is backlit.
  7. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

As I understand it, this is the basis of the claim that an AMOLED screen uses less juice. In that technology a black pixel is simply turned off.