Does the X charge on the "M" boot screen?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Okay well my battery died when I was flashing a ROM.....yeah I know, I know...

Well my battery was draining pretty quickly, don't know if it was the ROM or what...

But now I have my Droid X plugged into AC and it's on the "M" boot screen. I assume it would, under normal circumstances, boot normally, but like I said, it died in the middle of a ROM install.

So my only option is to SBF, but I go into that SBF recovery thing, and it says the battery is too low and cannot run SBF.... Reminds me why I left the X back in November.... So normally I would just send the X back to Verizon and keep my Inc which I am supposed to return in exchange for the X, but I invested in a $30 OtterBox case. Second mistake, I know, I know...

So my questions are, is the X charging while it's sitting on this "M" screen, because if it isn't, I am in fact screwed....

And I don't suppose Verizon can refund me for that OtterBox case in the form of bill credit or something?...... YES I KNOW IT WAS MY FAULT.... But come on, you would want a refund if you could.

Thanks all!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
AFAIK the device has to boot to charge....

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yeah... I figured... that really sucks... this is like the year of hell phone edition for me haha

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If the light comes on its charging. I think it will charge at the "M" as I think my D1 starts charging when the "M" comes up.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Alright guys, I can get into the Android system recovery, work with me here.

I can "apply sdcard update:zip"

But that has to be signed, is there a signed SBF file I can use?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What you mean by signed sbf??

Sent from somewhere...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
SBF is the the Motorola equivalent of HTC's RUU.

You can flash an SBF to return a phone to stock, and it can be done via RSD Manager for PC (phone has to have a decent battery charge and plugged in via USB) or you can hold home and power when the X boots to get into Android system recovery, which like ClockWork Recovery, lets you flash an official "update.zip" on the SD Card.

I've tried flashing an SFB via SD Card, but I always get a signature error. I think I'm downloading a signed SFB, but if anyone can link me to one that they KNOW is signed, I would appreciate that.

I don't think the phone is charging at the "M" screen, as I left it on AC charge for like an hour, and it still is pretty lousy. Okay so maybe that wasn't long enough, but either way I need this phone working ASAP!

cvhovey

Reaction score
This might be a stab in the dark, but since maderstcok is in "zip" format (can find it via Google: "maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip"), if rename it to "update.zip", pull the sdcard out and load it onto the sdcard via PC, possibly could use stock recovery to get back to a bootable stock rom? Just a thought FWIW.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I don't think maderstcok is signed...

But I'm trying that "Happy Holidays..." 2.3.1 sbf file now...

nakhleh926

Reaction score
If you leave it plugged in overnight it should be okay, but you seem to be in a rush. try plugging it in without turning it on and go to bed, I don't think you'll be able to sbf without the bootloader. the update. zip is completely different.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well it automatically tries to turn on when I plug in via AC and of course it won't charge in USB, worth a shot though. In the meantime I'm going to request another battery from Verizon....

And what's update.zip for?

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Well it automatically tries to turn on when I plug in via AC and of course it won't charge in USB, worth a shot though. In the meantime I'm going to request another battery from Verizon....

And what's update.zip for?

to be honest I'm not completely sure, but I know it is definitely not an alternative to sbfing, I had the problem you're having, for a different reason that I don't even know yet, but I just kept messing with it and turning it on/off and plugging it in and unplugging it and it randomly went to the battery charging screen, this is all after realizing usb charging was useless lol.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well did your battery die in the middle of flashing a ROM?

I would have gotten that battery thing by now, either something is wrong with my phone's hardware (explains quick battery drain) or I seriously effed up.

I think update.zip is my only hope, I can't get into ClockWork, I can't even get into that SBF thing anymore...

JustisLewis

Reaction score
An SBF is flashed from the bootloader. Update.zips are flashed via recovery and is the much more common option, at least on the D1. For the D1 sbf is basically only required to root or if you soft brick your phone and need to reflash. Roms, kernels, themes, ect. are all generally applied via recovery with an sbf

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Well did your battery die in the middle of flashing a ROM?

I would have gotten that battery thing by now, either something is wrong with my phone's hardware (explains quick battery drain) or I seriously effed up.

I think update.zip is my only hope, I can't get into ClockWork, I can't even get into that SBF thing anymore...

directly after restarting it after the rom successfully flashed, and it wasn't even dead, but what you're explaining happened to me almost exactly, at least try it as your last shot before asking verizon, if it doesn't work I apologize, just trying to help, you might get lucky. if you can do update. zip, have you tried formatting through recovery? sorry if you answered that already.