does the s3 have gorilla glass?I could've swore it does.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
The Verizon employee adamantly argued with me that she was specifically told by a Samsung rep that the galaxy sIII does not have GG. AND THEREFORE I MUST BUY A CAR FROM HER TO PROTECT THE FRAGILE GLASS

Edit: I definitely meant to say case not car

pazzazz

Reaction score
Gorilla glass -- NOT

I know this seems like something you could just Google but I'm getting conflicting results.
I was just in Verizon n one of their employees was trying to start an argument with me that the S3 does not have gorilla glass I told her it does have gorilla glass 2 but she kept saying over and over she just talked to the Samsung rep and they told her it does not have gorilla glass and almost everyone that comes in has a cracked screen which is BS. She was just trying to get me to buy a case because I wear my s3 naked. I was thinking; stop stating incorrect things as facts Verizon. they look increasingly foolish.
The s3 does have GG, right?

Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!

pazzazz

Reaction score
Gorilla glass -- NOT

First: Yes, the Galaxy S3 has Gorilla Glass. Here is the Corning Gorilla Glass link that clearly listed the Samsung Galaxy S3 as having GG.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | SAMSUNG

So, Akin67, Don't say it doesn't have GG because of what happened to your phone because it is simply not true.

NO, Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. They do use it in some overseas markets. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!

pazzazz

Reaction score
Gorilla glass -- NOT

If the Gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch proof, then the Galaxy S III does not have Gorilla glass. I was on a bus and placed the phone on the seat next to me for a second. The bus suddenly hit the brakes and the phone, with its shiny case went flying off the seat. Sure enough I now have a bunch of scratches on the phone screen. I normally never scratch my phones, this is a first. So the point of the story is either the Galaxy S III does NOT have gorilla glass, or gorilla glass is NOT scratch proof.

Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!

JRParsons

Reaction score

Both Samsung and Corning's websites claim the S3 utilizes Gorilla Glass.

I used an electric sander on my phone screen and it scratched, then I used a drill press on it and it went right through the glass. Gorilla Glass stinks.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

I used an electric sander on my phone screen and it scratched, then I used a drill press on it and it went right through the glass. Gorilla Glass stinks.

Why would you do that, a note to the wise, Gorilla glass is not indestructible, it's just another fortified glass. If you drop glass it has a tendency to break.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

JRParsons

Reaction score
Why would you do that, a note to the wise, Gorilla glass is not indestructible, it's just another fortified glass. If you drop glass it has a tendency to break.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

Thanks for the info, I promise I'll never attack my phone with power tools again. (Bazinga)

RemyL75

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is not indestructible. It is only scratch-RESISTANT. Even if the S3 had Gorilla Glass (US, overseas, etc), you should still handle your phone with care. Thinking Gorilla Glass wil protect your screen from everything is almost as bad as thinking the Droid Razr line of phones are bullet-proof due to having Kevlar backing.... almost lol

Seriously though, it's your choice to protect your phone. I've never had a cracked screen before, but almost all of the cell phones I've used have had a case and a screen protector. (touch screens. didn't need or make them for those old Nokia brick phones lol). Better to be safe now than pissed off later.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is not indestructible. It is only scratch-RESISTANT. Even if the S3 had Gorilla Glass (US, overseas, etc), you should still handle your phone with care. Thinking Gorilla Glass wil protect your screen from everything is almost as bad as thinking the Droid Razr line of phones are bullet-proof due to having Kevlar backing.... almost lol

Seriously though, it's your choice to protect your phone. I've never had a cracked screen before, but almost all of the cell phones I've used have had a case and a screen protector. (touch screens. didn't need or make them for those old Nokia brick phones lol). Better to be safe now than pissed off later.

yea I got a bunch of scratches on my gorilla glass.. oh well lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

pazzazz

Reaction score

Actually they don't specify. Gorilla glass IS used on the Galaxy s3 in SOME markets......just not in the U.S. It is very misleading!! You can call Samsung yourself to verify this.