does the s3 have gorilla glass?I could've swore it does.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by jwilly216, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

I know this seems like something you could just Google but I'm getting conflicting results.
    I was just in Verizon n one of their employees was trying to start an argument with me that the S3 does not have gorilla glass I told her it does have gorilla glass 2 but she kept saying over and over she just talked to the Samsung rep and they told her it does not have gorilla glass and almost everyone that comes in has a cracked screen which is BS. She was just trying to get me to buy a case because I wear my s3 naked. I was thinking; stop stating incorrect things as facts Verizon. they look increasingly foolish.
    The s3 does have GG, right?
  2. scott32746

scott32746 New Member

I think I have read somewhere that the glass is Amoled. I have not had any troubles with it.
  3. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The display is samoled I think... I've seen reports of gg2 for the glass... but idk for sure
  4. DRX1983

DRX1983 New Member

The Galaxy S3 has Gorilla Glass 2.
  5. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

The screen "display" is SAMOLED, and the glass covering the screen is Gorilla Glass 2.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

I left u the corning link where u asked this is another topic but I forgot where

thats the only legit place I've seen it say that.... Verizon and Samsung sites don't have it listed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  7. vzwdude

vzwdude New Member

The sg 3 does have gorilla glass however the design of the screen ( from a profile view you can see the glass is higher than the edges of the device) leave it open to breakage. Gorilla glass is the biggest fraud out there. Get a case.
  8. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

What does Gorilla glass have anything to do with the glass being higher from the edges, that's a Samsung design, nothing to do with gorilla glass, and some more news for you, gorilla glass is scratch proof, not shatter proof, and the scratch protection is only up to 10H hardness, which means any metal, diamond with a hardness above 10H will scratch the screen, sand crystals will also scratch any fortified glass, including gorilla glass.
    2 people like this.
  9. vzwdude

vzwdude New Member

I understand that. I'm just starting that people that think that gorilla glass is a reason to leave your device naked are mistaken
  10. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

I did it with my og droid 1 and every other phone and I've never cracked a screen until I accidentally dropped my BIONIC.

I love the way the s3 looks and I don't want to hide any of it being a case. It's comforting to know your device has gorilla glass either way due to its standards and tests is put through
  11. akin67

akin67 New Member

If the Gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch proof, then the Galaxy S III does not have Gorilla glass. I was on a bus and placed the phone on the seat next to me for a second. The bus suddenly hit the brakes and the phone, with its shiny case went flying off the seat. Sure enough I now have a bunch of scratches on the phone screen. I normally never scratch my phones, this is a first. So the point of the story is either the Galaxy S III does NOT have gorilla glass, or gorilla glass is NOT scratch proof.
  12. champaned_out

champaned_out New Member

did you not ready ANYTHING cybertec69 just said a few posts above you? IT IS scratch resistant but only up to a certain degree of impact and against certain materials.... if your going to argue that it isnt then go find your self a phone like the LG Dare or the Samsung Omnia or any other phone older than 4 years and see just how easily they are scratched with keys and other everyday items.. you can literally brush a set of keys across those phone's screen and end up with permanent visible scratches..

The S3 DOES have GG2.. that is a FACT.. stop spreading false information because you had an accident with your phone... gorilla glass does what it says it can do.. it just seems that some people have higher expectations and believe their product is supposed to be indestructible
  13. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

First: Yes, the Galaxy S3 has Gorilla Glass. Here is the Corning Gorilla Glass link that clearly listed the Samsung Galaxy S3 as having GG.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | SAMSUNG

So, Akin67, Don't say it doesn't have GG because of what happened to your phone because it is simply not true.

Champaned_out is exactly right. Gorilla glass is not a cure all end all never scratch surface. Here is some information from XDA that discusses the same information:

Misconception about Gorilla Glass - xda-developers

Now, based on your own account, your phone slid across the floor of the bus where there just might be some.....come on, you can say it....sand. Google Mohs hardness scale on this website and you will find a great article on the subject. If I find it I will update the post.

Not that I am picking on you and am being completely unsympathetic. I had my phone naked and was slow to order a case and screen protector and have a very small thin scratch to remind me why I always cover the screen. Sorry that happened to you but it is not because the phone doesn't have Gorilla Glass.
  14. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Try using toothpaste to polish out the scratches.
  15. droid2drummer

droid2drummer New Member

Christ...lol Thank you...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  16. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

The Verizon employee adamantly argued with me that she was specifically told by a Samsung rep that the galaxy sIII does not have GG. AND THEREFORE I MUST BUY A CAR FROM HER TO PROTECT THE FRAGILE GLASS

Edit: I definitely meant to say case not car
    2 people like this.
  17. pazzazz

pazzazz New Member

Gorilla glass -- NOT

Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!
  18. pazzazz

pazzazz New Member

Gorilla glass -- NOT

NO, Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. They do use it in some overseas markets. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!
  19. pazzazz

pazzazz New Member

Gorilla glass -- NOT

Samsung does NOT use gorilla glass on the Galaxy s3 in the United States! Just found that out -- from Samsung. My glass broke when I had it a week and a half. Maybe gorilla glass is really good....but it's not on this phone. Wonder why we all think it is??!!
  20. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

Both Samsung and Corning's websites claim the S3 utilizes Gorilla Glass.

I used an electric sander on my phone screen and it scratched, then I used a drill press on it and it went right through the glass. Gorilla Glass stinks.
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

does galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does s3 have gorilla glass

does samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does samsung s3 have gorilla glass

does the galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the s3 have gorilla glass

does the samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the samsung s3 have gorilla glass

galaxy s3 gorilla glass

gorilla glass galaxy s3