Does the RAZR screen break easily?

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
Why I'm going smart

I had a Cosmos. It was the worst phone I've ever had...

I was playing beach volleyball yesterday and put my Razr on a picnic table. Someone hit the ball 30+ feet in the air and it came down right on my screen and made it fly off the table onto the ground. I dont have a mark on it.

I do like my Cosmos Touch, but I have decided to give in and get a smart phone so that I can web surf while at work and not use my work PC. I want to do some stock trading. Otherwise I'd keep the Cosmos.

I will miss my dumb phone because I can use it without even looking at it. I can return the last call, answer calls, or do voice dialing by feel. That's handy while driving.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
SeattleUser said:
I do like my Cosmos Touch, but I have decided to give in and get a smart phone so that I can web surf while at work and not use my work PC. I want to do some stock trading. Otherwise I'd keep the Cosmos.

I will miss my dumb phone because I can use it without even looking at it. I can return the last call, answer calls, or do voice dialing by feel. That's handy while driving.

Once u get a razr ull never want another phone. Ull forget about ur cosmo

vance1980

Reaction score
The funny thing about this is the fact that I have dropped mine, scratched it with keys showing people how the gorilla glass works etc and I have not had one single issue with it.......oh well

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I had a customer whose RAZR broke when he bent over with it in his pocket, screen facing his leg. They CAN break very easily,but everyone has a different experience.

^THIS is why I refuse to keep mine in my pants pocket, front or back. My boney behind had snapped numerous "unbreakable" black rubber combs in half when they were in my hip pocket; no way do I want to test that kind of pressure on my Maxx.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
^THIS is why I refuse to keep mine in my pants pocket, front or back. My boney behind had snapped numerous "unbreakable" black rubber combs in half when they were in my hip pocket; no way do I want to test that kind of pressure on my Maxx.

He said he even got a bruise from it! And it was the gorilla glass that broke, not the actual screen

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
And it was the gorilla glass that broke, not the actual screen

Even though it was just the glass that broke, you pretty much have to replace the entire display assembly. I attempted to separate the lcd from the glass, and while I was successful, it was a very nerve-wrecking experience. Unfortunately my glass was cracked on the inside so I just bought a water damaged phone for its screen. A lot cheaper than buying a new display assembly!

To the OP: If you buy a RAZR, you should probably get an Otterbox case for it. Yes, it makes the phone bulkier, but it will save you $$$. A new screen assembly is $250, and that's just for the part.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Even though it was just the glass that broke, you pretty much have to replace the entire display assembly. I attempted to separate the lcd from the glass, and while I was successful, it was a very nerve-wrecking experience. Unfortunately my glass was cracked on the inside so I just bought a water damaged phone for its screen. A lot cheaper than buying a new display assembly!

To the OP: If you buy a RAZR, you should probably get an Otterbox case for it. Yes, it makes the phone bulkier, but it will save you $$$. A new screen assembly is $250, and that's just for the part.

He had the phone for 2 days when it happened, so we just exchanged it for a new device :)

Benjamin

Reaction score
In my experience the screen is pretty strong. I did break one, but it happened because of severe compression of the screen and it was the underlying touch interface that cracked, not the glass itself (thank god for insurance!). I will say that it went through some colorful death throes though, with the screen fading through a number of different colors and eventually to black.

Since then, I've dropped my phone many times (oops) without ever suffering any real damage. I notice that the phone tends to land on its edges/corners when dropped, which protects the glass a bit.

In the end, its definitely hardier than many other phones, especially the iPhone.

wojtalsd

Reaction score
I happened to drop my phone which was on my lap while I was getting my brand new otterbox out of the packaging. Phone slipped and landed screen down on the ground. Cracked the screen. Warranty saved me on that one.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
wojtalsd said:
I happened to drop my phone which was on my lap while I was getting my brand new otterbox out of the packaging. Phone slipped and landed screen down on the ground. Cracked the screen. Warranty saved me on that one.

Oh such crappy luck

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)

I would have cried. No lie.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Wow... that's hilarious

fekish

Reaction score
It happened to me in a similar way: bought my new iPod 6 years ago, left it above the fireplace. A small push and it fell right at the corner of the marble! It was facing down and I wasn't touching it for a minute! Then I realised I was just lucky, it landed on its stainless steel and not with its screen... A huge bump was created on the steel...

Sent from my Moto RAZR