Does the GNEX battery get any better?

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Hey guys had a question. I was playing with my new GNEX which I love by the way but the battery seems horrible. I went from 88% to 73% in 20 mins. Now I had it on the entire time with the screen brightness on auto inside my house.(looks like it was around 20% brightness while I was using during this 20min) I looked at twitter, updated 3 apps in the market and poked around ESPN on the browser. I'm on Codename Android 1.4 rom with the stock Kernel set to 350min and 1200 max. Also during this 20 min my 4g stayed around 2 bars most of the time dropping to 1 bar for a min or so but mostly staying around 2bars. It never dropped 4g, I'm in a decent area for it.

Now I know the new 4g phones don't have the best battery life but at this rate the phone will never last me an entire day. Half day would probably be pushing it (Stock battery by the way). This thing sucks through battery life like its no buddy's business.

So my question to all GNEX owners: Is this about the right battery drain for this impressive phone? As much as I like this phone I'm thinking about sticking with my OG 1 until these phones come out with better battery life like the Droid Maxx. I just don't want to have to worry about battery life all day and carry chargers and extra battery's. I don't want to have to turn off 4g and have my screen turned down all the time. I don't know, am I being unrealistic? Maybe some of these other roms out there have better battery life?

Htown315

Reaction score
Gnex battery is on par with any other device except the maxx(obviously) with the exception of voice calls. I'm actually pretty frustrated that no one has addressed this as a 13% an hour loss on a Bluetooth phone call is %&$#&* weak. The razr is around 8% fwiw. If all you are doing is browsing why not go to 3g? Its really simple with the toggle in CNA and I doubt you will notice much of a difference. I only turn on 4g to watch videos or dl files and honestly am quite content with the battery life. I do run lean kernel however and have it set to 180-1200mhz with hot plug. I average over 3hrs of screen and have reached 4+ on the stock battery(mostly 3g and no wifi).

Last edited:
OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Gnex battery is on par with any other device except the maxx(obviously) with the exception of voice calls. I'm actually pretty frustrated that no one has addressed this as a 13% an hour loss on a Bluetooth phone call is %&$#&* weak. The razr is around 8% fwiw. If all you are doing is browsing why not go to 3g? Its really simple with the toggle in CNA and I doubt you will notice much of a difference. I only turn on 4g to watch videos or dl files and honestly am quite content with the battery life. I do run lean kernel however and have it set to 180-1200mhz with hot plug. I average over 3hrs of screen and have reached 4+ on the stock battery(mostly 3g and no wifi).

Ya that is pretty weak for blue-tooth.

I was just showing the browser as an example. I tried going to 3g and my gnex was having trouble picking up the 3g signal and keeping it for some reason. I don't seem to have any trouble with 4g (around my house anyway) but 3g on the GNEX is a little shaky. Also my earpiece has this really annoying rattle sound when I talk on the phone. If I turn the volume down it goes away but if I have it turned all the way up its pretty annoying. Other than that though I think this phone is pretty darn sweet. I'm amazed at how fluid and smooth this phone is. I almost feel like I'm holding an over sized iphone that you can customize haha.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pretty good I'd say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
i bet your screen time is 30 minutes or less.

3g/4g won't make a difference on battery when your screen is on. my phone idle on 4g all day will lose about 2-3% an hour, turn the screen on and it'll drop 20-25% an hour. razr maxx is the only phone that has acceptable battery and doesn't make it look like a disfigured brick.

Last edited:

Htown315

Reaction score
i bet your screen time is 30 minutes or less.

3g/4g won't make a difference on battery when your screen is on. my phone idle on 4g all day will lose about 2-3% an hour, turn the screen on and it'll drop 20-25% an hour. razr maxx is the only phone that has acceptable battery and doesn't make it look like a disfigured brick.

Yes it will make a difference. When your phone is idling or sleeping the radio shuts down and does not transmit data. I got 4 hours of screen time on 3g and anyone here will tell you that is impossible with lte. Your phone is also jacked up if you lose 3% an hour unless you are in the edge of a 4g zone. I lose 5% over 8 hours.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
322ae4e1-5669-1315.jpg

322ae4e1-5677-b026.jpg

I've had decent life today. 40 minutes of calls and over 30 minutes of streaming music. I keep the LTE radio on even though I'm in a 3G area and its been about 50/50 between wifi and mobile data today.

I'd been having trouble with my phone losing a lot of battery in idle until I noticed that I had several hidden apps running in the background.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Try some other kernels, I bet that will help. Kenny effen Powers man! Big giant super star! :biggrin:

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Does an extended battery help much?

Yes it does, seems like a bit though, and if u manage usage of data, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.

322ae4e1-5669-1315.jpg

322ae4e1-5677-b026.jpg

I've had decent life today. 40 minutes of calls and over 30 minutes of streaming music. I keep the LTE radio on even though I'm in a 3G area and its been about 50/50 between wifi and mobile data today.

I'd been having trouble with my phone losing a lot of battery in idle until I noticed that I had several hidden apps running in the background.

I'd go with juice defender too

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

Ed ke6bnl

Reaction score
sorry to be off topic a little but where in the phone do you control 3g versus 4g. thanks ED

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
sorry to be off topic a little but where in the phone do you control 3g versus 4g. thanks ED

Go to settings then click more. Then hit mobile networks. Its under network mode.

seventwozero

Reaction score
Like everyone else has already said, the screen makes the biggest difference in battery use.

On a normal day, where I check emails, texts, tweets/Facebook and make a couple of calls, I probably average 12 hours on the extended battery. Last night at work, I played Robo Defense for nearly 3 hours, off and on, and blew through a fully charged extended battery in less than 5 hours. Screen on time was at 3 hours for that period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums