Does the Droid really NEED to be "rooted"?

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by PowerPlayGraphix, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mbm

mbm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Droid really NEED to be "rooted"?

Depends; if you're asking that as "Is there a reason for ME to root it?" then the answer is probably no, otherwise you wouldn't need to ask.

Are there legitimate reasons to root the phone? Sure, it allows the truly geeky and hardcore people (me!) to have unrestricted access to the OS and all of the hardware and do things never envisioned by the SDK -- giving applications direct access to the framebuffer, installing a complete Linux distribution to the SD card, removing youtube and facebook from the OS.

2. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has any one rooted the Droid yet??

3. mbm

mbm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, and don't make me turn around.

4. knightshade

knightshade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    At this point rooting it is the only way to connect to Cisco VPNs using Group User/Password....
    Hopefully that changes...

5. saxmaster45

saxmaster45 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could a rooted phone possibly be able to play avi/divx files? I have been told that this is impossible within a Java environment, but could be done with direct access to hardware drivers.

6. jeremz

jeremz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to be able to browse the directory structure without being told I don't have permission. It's a principle thing. Linux phone means I should be able to be root. IMO, but I totally see your point, it is pretty open.

7. Varking

Varking Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to Root the phone in order to remove the default browser, as I use Dolphin Browser, remove all the crappy sounds I do not use while still saving the ones I do use, remove all the default applications I do not use like Amazon MP3, Corporate Calender, Email ( I just use Gmail ), Messaging ( I use Handcent ), Visual VM, and Youtube.

8. FreyGrimrod

FreyGrimrod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't demand root you knowledge base clearly isn't leveraging your hardware hard enough...

9. wnrussell

wnrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I search the Android Market for 'root', there are a bunch of applications for "rooted" phones.

Take a look.

10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16
    the droid has already been rooted =]

11. jafar1978

jafar1978 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    rooting Droid

Hi all,

You can root your droid using the following directions. The only thing is that the first two links are dead so use the third one. If you have any questions please ask:
    :)
    ==================CUT HERE
    Here's a guide written for non-linux users on how to root your droid. What you do beyond that, well, I have another thread set up for that. Let's get going!

You will need the following:
    http://www.***********/file/168496608/8fa27888/droid-root.html
    OR
    Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
    OR
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    (Those 3 are the same file, just use either link, and choose another if any is dwn)
    AND
    Download the Android SDK | Android Developers
    AND
    http://www.magicandroidapps.com/su.zip
    AND
    http://www.smilepak.com/temp/Droid_USB_Driver.zip

Once you have all these files downloaded, extract them all into a new folder at C:\Android

You should now connect your Droid to your computer and Mount the SD Card through the phone (A dialogue will pop up on your phone asking to connect your SD Card. Click Mount)

Courtesy of Fadelight:
    (go to Device Manager. There you will see your droid (A855) with a yellow "!" next to it. Right click. Select "Update driver" and point it to the android folder. That is where the drivers are.)

Go to the C:\Android folder you created. Rename the file droid-root.zip to update.zip. Then take update.zip and move it to the SD Card on your phone.

Once this is done, unplug your phone and turn it off by holding the top button, then selecting Power Off.

Open your phone's keyboard. Hold down the letter X key on the keyboard and power your phone on WHILE HOLDING THIS KEY DOWN. You will see the Motorola logo, followed by a graphic with an ! mark on it. At this time let go of the X key and the power button. Press and hold the Volume + key on the side of your phone, then press the camera button while holding the Volume + key.

Now you will be presented with a menu. Navigate to "update" using the D-pad, and click the middle button. Now wait for the process to finish.

When it is complete, your phone will power up again. Go to Settings->Applications->Development and check the USB Debugging checkbox.

Connect your Droid to the Computer again.

Click Start on your computer, and click run. Type cmd in the box, and hit ok. Now type the following, pressing Enter after each line:

cd c:\Android\tools

adb push su /data/local

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cd /system/bin

mv su osu

cat /data/local/su > su

chmod 6755 su

ls -l *su
    (you should see the following)
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2008-08-01 05:00 osu
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2009-05-30 11:28 su
    (now continue typing these following lines to finish)

sync

reboot

You're done!
    ===============================CUT HERE

12. jafar1978

jafar1978 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have rooted my droid and then added Persian fonts. Well, it kind of worked and not. I no longer see boxes for Persian text however, gamil and the web can not handle the right to left text. I kind of can read the text from left to right. If anyone has a suggestion please share. Please email me if you have any questions for me.

Regards, --jh:)