Does the Droid have an auto on/off function like blackberries?

nwwolf1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just got my Droid yesterday and I'm absolutely loving it the only problem is that on my college campus in my dorm (where I spend most of my time) there is NO service so it drains my phone's battery quite quick. I was wondering if the Droid has an auto on/off function like blackberries so I can turn it off when I go to sleep and it'll turn on before I have my alarm set to go off so I can save battery. Thanks for your help in advance!

Oh and one more question if you have the time. Will charging the phone while I sleep all night kill the battery? I know that's the case with older phones but I wasn't sure with smart phones.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen an "auto-off" feature but there are a few apps that let you adjust the times when sounds/notifications will be played.

As for the night-time charging... you're going to get a LOT of people telling you it will and a LOT of people telling you it won't..... and they're all SWAGing...

Facts: The Droid and most advanced devices have active power management/charging systems that throttle down the incoming power when the battery is full BUT they also USE the adapter for power ANY time it is connected. This means it's running the current THROUGH the battery... so think about it and make you're own call.

Personally I don't think the minimal current pushed through the battery while you're sleeping (just enough needed for standby functions) matter a lot. What is FAR MORE damaging to battery life is charging during heavy use (i.e. when you're in your car, charging it, while use Nav/GPS). That does seem to fry batteries pretty quick.

Also keep in mind the while Li-ion battery have no 'memories' they are constantly loosing their capacity and have a very finite charging life (300-500 charges before serious deterioration that's it, regardless of battery "level" when charged). So way all the info and decide for yourself.

docfreed

Reaction score
Are you saying that if I use my GPS on a long trip, I shouldn't have it plugged in?

syntax53

Reaction score
You can use the app "locale" to automatically turn on and off services between certain times of the day. To turn the GPS on and off you'll need the separate plugin.

docfreed

Reaction score
I don't want to turn the GPS off - I just want an answer to "What is FAR MORE damaging to battery life is charging during heavy use (i.e. when you're in your car, charging it, while use Nav/GPS).
Is there any evidence for this? Using the GPS runs the battery down quickly

syntax53

Reaction score
I don't want to turn the GPS off - I just want an answer to "What is FAR MORE damaging to battery life is charging during heavy use (i.e. when you're in your car, charging it, while use Nav/GPS).
Is there any evidence for this? Using the GPS runs the battery down quickly
I was responding to the OP, not you. As for your charging question, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it will take a year or more to really damage you battery so use it how you want and if it starts losing its charge just buy a new battery.