Does the display of Galaxy Nexus use PenTile Matrix technology?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pen Tile is use by Motorola. Samsung uses Super Amoled Plus. No, you won't see Pen Tile on a Nexus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
You might want to go reread this thread or just read it if you haven't. The HD Super AMLOED uses a pentile matrix and so does Super AMLOED and regular AMLOED. The only one that doesn't is Super AMLOED + which is in the GS2. So yes the Galaxy Nexus will have an HD SAMOLED display with a pentile matrix. It's not a bad thing imo. I don'r have a problem with pentile on my Bionic so I know I wouldn't have a problem with this.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
It's pentile, what's different is how they light the pixels.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pen Tile is use by Motorola. Samsung uses Super Amoled Plus. No, you won't see Pen Tile on a Nexus.

Don't mean to be rude, but this is incorrect. The Super Amoled screen in the new Nexus does use the PenTile matrix. People with hands on experience with the device say the pixel density is on par with the Galaxy SII. So in short, this will not look like the Bionic. :)

chowyenfats

Reaction score
Like I said before is all this screen problem stuff is all brain washing, my bionic is very good, the nexus will be very good, I don't think it will be light years better then the bionic, just what you want to believe.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Hopefully this will stop the ridiculous pentile bashing that's been going on.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have handed my DB to friends and just say "check out my new phone", they've all said "wow, that is sharp"! I always chuckle to myself thinking about the people blowing their tops on this forum over it! Pure rage! A couple of those friends are iphone 4 owners.

ice456789

Reaction score
Part of the reason I returned my Bionic was because the screen gave me fits. It seems a very small percentage of people are cursed like me. I don't have great eyesight or anything but I couldn't stand the screen. It was particularly bad when watching video. It was not about seeing a jagged edge or a screen door effect, it was a problem with colors. I took a great picture of a storm at the beach. It has a lot of shades of gray. On my OG droid it looks fantastic. On the Bionic instead of gray, I saw dots of green, brown, purple, etc all close together like a pointalist painting. I showed it to my wife and all she saw was gray. Another friend of mine that has the Bionic LOVES the screen. But for me, it was a deal breaker. I have a problem with DLP TV's too, where I see rainbows splattered all over the screen. Maybe there's just a cursed minority of the population that is frustrated by such things.

I am heartened by the fact that the pixels are going to be smaller so maybe I won't see the effect. If that's the case then I'll get the Galaxy Nexus. If not though, I'll be stuck getting the Razr.

I would like to say though that pentile does have very distinct advantages. Looking at the Bionic in bright sunlight was absolutely no problem at all. It was fantastic in bright light. Apparently there are energy savings too. If I wasn't cursed with, well, whatever my eyes are seeing, then it would be a no-brainer. But I'll have to see the phone and play some video through it before I buy one.

hydro556

Reaction score
I had never heard of pentile screens until I got the Bionic and started reading about it.

In the end, while the screen was the best I'd ever seen in bright light (amazing actually) it was overall a mediocre screen. And really lacked the wow factor that is so important to me in the screen of a phone. The very first thing you see and the thing you see the most when using your device. Wow factor is cool, and the Bionic lacked that. But if that were the Bionic's only flaw I could have dealt with it.

The proverbial "straw" was the camera. I mean it is horrendous, still surprised Moto let it out like that.

The Bionic has awesome specs, the build quality seemed top notch to me, and overall a nice device. But the screen was just blah. And I then started associating Pentile with Blah. Apparently and hopefully, there is more to it than that. Considering the Nexus is 720 hd, and sAMOLED, and is still pentile, and from all reports has an amazing screen, pentile doesnt have to necessarily equal "blah".

Standing by. Upgrade in hand, again, because I returned the Bionic.

Heywood

Reaction score
I have to agree on the screen in sunlight, absolutely amazing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have to agree on the screen in sunlight, absolutely amazing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Yep, I was outside with the DB for a while today and it is great. My DX was completely useless outdoors.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to correct a few things, Motorola uses a different Pentile Matrix than the one being used in Samsung's Galaxy Nexus.

The pixel density is increased because it's an HD(720P) screen. This is the key point.

Because the resolution will be so much better, the pixel density prevents a lot (if not all) of the issues that show up because of the Pentile Matrix.

Pentile has received a bad name because Motorola changed the array and used an additional white pixel with the horrendous screen used in the Droid X2 and then again with the Bionic, but the technology has been successfully used in many Samsung screens since the first Nexus.

What's good about this is, the pixel density will be greater than the SGSII's screen and will also provide the power saving features of using the technology.

kath00

Reaction score
I had the Bionic for 2 weeks and did not see the checkerboard many people reported. On the 2nd to last day before returning, my friend came over who just got a Bionic and I could clearly see the markings on her phone (but not mine). Very strange! I wonder if it was a subset of phones that had the bad display? I LOVED the display outdoors, as others have reported, and now that I am back to my trusty old Droid X, I really miss it's readability in sunlight. Can't wait to get the Nexus! I have no worries about the screen after having my Bionic for 2 weeks. Katherine