Does the customization ever stop?

Droid noob

Reaction score
I've been a proud android owner for a month now and I don't think my screen has stayed the same a whole day yet! Im on this thing all the time. Im sure I'll get tortured of it after a while, but then I'll probably look into rooting lol.

Sent 2 u via Incredible 2

Beka27

Reaction score
I played around with mine about 2 months before rooting. Once you root tho... Oh boy!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
nope, i make a change every single day haha...never gets old

OP
D

Droid noob

Reaction score
I played around with mine about 2 months before rooting. Once you root tho... Oh boy!

Rooting is really that big a difference huh?

ChevyNexus

Reaction score

haha its like beka said...oh boy! You really cant fully understand rooting till you do it, an even then, you'll be learning new stuff all the time.

OP
D

Droid noob

Reaction score

haha its like beka said...oh boy! You really cant fully understand rooting till you do it, an even then, you'll be learning new stuff all the time.

Hmmm. Just nervous Im going to mess something up. Just got to kick that fear eventually lol

kookk

Reaction score
As long as you don't do something without knowing what will happen on the other end, you can't go wrong with rooting.

clouse2013

Reaction score
Agreed. rooting opens up soooo many more options. its ridiculous. you learn something new everyday. had my d2G rooted for a few months now and i still cant go a whole day without changing something.

Beka27

Reaction score
Like I said, I was stock for awhile. So do what you can now. Have fun. Once you know your phone inside and out, do a bunch of reading on root/roms. Then dive in. I've had a few of my own "oh crap!" moments but this forum is fantastic for support. These phones are next to impossible to irretrievably mess up.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The inc2 may even be good enough not rooted. It is a sweet device. I have ended up rooting all my devices because of mods, themes, fixes, etc. Just do alot of research before root, it can be risky at times but it does have benefits. The inc2 is just getting started with root, I would wait for a bit to see what the developer community comes up with for inc2.

Sent from my fascinate

jayman350

Reaction score
yes rooting really does make that big of a difference. I was stock for a while (couple months), and then I came across this website, I think I lasted a week on here before I was rooted and rommed.

Take the time to read about what exactly you are doing in the root process. A majority of times that someone screws up the root process, or flashing a rom, is b/c they didn't fully read what they are supposed to be doing. Or they read it and didn't really understand what they are supposed to do. If you have a question about something, ask before you do it.

I have had 3 occasions where I was like "oh sh!t there we go I killed it" but each and every time I have had the good people here to get me back up and running.

That being said, I think I would wait a little if I were you. The Inc2 is still new and the devs most likely haven't really had time to dig fully into it. Have fun w/ your Inc2, get to know what you like and don't like about it, then check out rooting.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
My D2G is rooted but just so I could have Bloat Freeze and Root Explorer. I also have 3G Watchdog and Juice Defender altho I'm not sure the phone has to be rooted for those. But I haven't ROMmed my phone and may not. Seems to me that all ROMming is for is fancier UIs that don't seem to be the same as apps like GO Launcher EX and its many themes and add-ons. But if I can use GO Launcher EX with a stock ROM why go to all of that possibly dangerous trouble. And yeah, it would be nice to have one of those cool M replacement icons but again, not enough to chance a bricked phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Rooted D2Global here aswell. I agree on rooting and ROMing opens the door to unsane levels of customisation. My D2 looks nothing like the stock, in-store demos. Boot animation's been changed god knows how many times (right now it's the HTC TB boot animation), displays signal as 4G instead of 3G, transparent notification bar, different battery icon, custom ROM, etc. It's fun, in a way, to be able to change just about anything on a whim. One thing you should always do: have some way to recover the device into a useable state. Heck, I've had a simple SIM card put my D2Global out of commission to the point I had to sbf it:blink:. Important part though: Have some fun out of it, I mean, I do some customisations to laugh at iPhones:laugh:

jayman350

Reaction score
These phones are very difficult to brick permanently, typically as long as you make a backup before doing anything you can always go back to where you were.
Removing the bloat was the reason I rooted in the first place, once I saw what was available for overclocking the measly 600 MHz processor in the OG I was hooked. The devs that do the custom roms do a lot more than just themes.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums